02 Tacoma buying advice

4runnerteq

Explorer
Uh, no way dude. That truck looks like its been rode hard and put up wet. You know what you have in the 91. Granted, 200k is nothing for a 3.4, I'm just always leery of anything that's already built. Who knows how it may have been abused. Id keep waiting if it was me. And as said, by all means if you decide on it, MAKE SURE to check that frame before anything else.

bkg

Explorer
couple of things I see in the pics...

1 - I don't like the exhaust
2 - The slider-to-frame welds need a once over
3 - it has poly steering rack bushings
4 - the skids are in much better shape than mine
5 - there is an oil leak on the pass side that has covered the lower a-arm camber bolt with oil
6 - ubolt flip with what appears to be correct lower shock mounts welded on.

It has all the right parts... question is how well it was taken care of.

Thinking about this some more... lets do some math.
1 - per KBB, that's about a $7500-8500 truck here in TN
2 - sliders, bumpers: $1000 new, $400 value
3 - winch: $300 new, $150 value
4 - suspension: $1200 new, $400 value
6 - skids: $500 new, $200 value
7 - topper: $1200 new, $500 value
8 - OBA: $250 new, $100 value
9 - new tires: $1200 new, $800 value
10 - leather seats: $400 new, $100 value
11 - body damage: -1000

add it all up, and it's probably priced just about correctly. Question is how well it's been maintained (he's owned it for quite some time)... and if you can find a stock truck in better condition for a delta that allows you to add all of the stuff this one has... that is just mathematics...

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd certainly pass on that truck.

• The sliders aren't installed well, neither decently bolted nor welded correctly.
  • The frame is starting to show bubbling rust and the window of opportunity to get Toyota to deal with it has passed. Tacomas don't have as much steel in their frames as the 79-95 trucks to start, so this will be an impending issue on it.
  • Front skid plate indicates the truck has been rode hard, put away wet by a driver who lacked finesse. This generally means you'll secondary issues because it was 'wheeled hard.
  • Awful lot of fluid leaks, indicates a lack of attention.
Reasons I want to upgrade over my 91: better suspension, locker, cruise control, airbags?, 5VZE instead of 3VZE, onboard air, sliders, skid plate,
Things I don't like about this 2002 truck: Only wish the camper shell was taller

Suspension is different, but better. I dunno, more to go wrong. The coil IFS does ride nice and flex well, there's no doubt. Locker, sliders, skid, OBA, stuff you can add to any truck. The meat of it is the engine and cruise. That's why I ultimately got my Tacoma, too. But...

I might wait for a better 10k truck to be posted by an Expo member. I posted my 91 on craigslist for and have over a dozen people interested with some sending me offers over what I posted it for "to be first in line" but makes me wonder why this 2002 has been on craigslist for 30 days, although the first two weeks it was posted at $13k.
Shouldn't that tell you something?

I kick myself all the time for selling my 1991, I wish dearly that I had it back. Having cruise and a V6 hasn't made up for the flexy frame that I have to clean rust spots and paint again every spring and dash board rattle (give me a Japanese-built truck any day). You asked opinions, so I offered it. If I could go back and spend that Tacoma money on an engine swap (I had a 22R-E, so a 5VZ swap would not have been a real option like starting with a 3VZ) and frame-up refresh I would in an instant.

BTW, the offer stands, so make that a dozen + 1 people interested in your '91. :)

phsycle

Adventurer
Suspension is different, but better. I dunno, more to go wrong. The coil IFS does ride nice and flex well, there's no doubt. Locker, sliders, skid, OBA, stuff you can add to any truck. The meat of it is the engine and cruise. That's why I ultimately got my Tacoma, too. But...

Shouldn't that tell you something?

I kick myself all the time for selling my 1991, I wish dearly that I had it back. Having cruise and a V6 hasn't made up for the flexy frame that I have to clean rust spots and paint again every spring and dash board rattle (give me a Japanese-built truck any day). You asked opinions, so I offered it. If I could go back and spend that Tacoma money on an engine swap (I had a 22R-E, so a 5VZ swap would not have been a real option like starting with a 3VZ) and frame-up refresh I would in an instant.

BTW, the offer stands, so make that a dozen + 1 people interested in your '91. :)

You should easily be able to sell your truck and grab one. Here is an example from my local area, which is just a state over from CO. 3.0, which would be a good candidate for the 3.4 swap (if needed).

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4245300?ad_cid=8

Another in ID. Not much detail:

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4385136?ad_cid=3

DaveInDenver

You should easily be able to sell your truck and grab one. Here is an example from my local area, which is just a state over from CO. 3.0, which would be a good candidate for the 3.4 swap (if needed).

Very interesting.

Guess I should really say I shouldn't have sold *my* 1991. Problem is I'd have to triplicate mods and start doing everything yet again. I've gone too far to just walk away from my 2008 now.

So it would have to be an exceptional truck to start. I really like that '94 in Idaho. I'm not seriously looking, but if something fell into my lap, well you sometimes don't have a choice in the matter.

Clutch

<---Pass
Very interesting.

Guess I should really say I shouldn't have sold *my* 1991. Problem is I'd have to triplicate mods and start doing everything yet again. I've gone too far to just walk away from my 2008 now.

These trucks work best when you keep them stock...wouldn't even worry about another "if" you ever get another. Just fix what is broken and maintain it. My next truck I am not going to even going to touch it, stock works great for hauling skis, mountain bikes and dirt bikes around.

Price a little high, but looks clean. Check out the bed, looks to be never been used. Only thing I would do, is to find some stock wheels and call it good.

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-4x4-xtnd-cab-truck/6444668767.html

00w0w_7ckSgJoAxj6_600x450.jpg

00f0f_eSERrEnrkVi_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Most likely a repaint job, I would guess? Too pristine for a 23 year old truck with 225k miles on it. Price is way high (probably to cover the patch and paint job! :D)

Clutch

<---Pass
Most likely a repaint job, I would guess? Too pristine for a 23 year old truck with 225k miles on it. Price is way high (probably to cover the patch and paint job! :D)

Yeah probably...can tell he is proud of it calling it a collector vehicle.

I'd pay $5-6K for it. Shoot ...20ish years ago I paid $6900 for a '92 RC.

phsycle

Adventurer
Man, now you guys have me looking at these Hilux/Pickups. Finding one in good shape and swapping either a 2.7 or 3.4 would be a great project. It would last years--not much to go wrong in these trucks.

DaveInDenver

Man, now you guys have me looking at these Hilux/Pickups. Finding one in good shape and swapping either a 2.7 or 3.4 would be a great project. It would last years--not much to go wrong in these trucks.
Ha! So we always say. Honestly I don't spend any more or less maintaining my Tacoma than I did on my '91. There's plenty that can and did go wrong on them. Especially when we modify and use them like we do.

If there's one thing I like about older trucks that irritates me with newer ones is the electrical system. In my old truck it was battery->switch->device. Now it's battery->switch->ECU->device. The dome light doesn't just turn on-off, it's you asking the ECU to turn it on.

As a consequence my FSM grew from 2 books that spanned 6" of shelf space to 4 that take a foot when I upgraded to a 2008.

phsycle

Adventurer
Here's my gripe of new(er) vehicles. Size too big. Interior seems to be the same size. That computer controlled drivetrain drives me nuts (TBW). Even the manual trans models. I never had a Hilux, but did have a 97 4Runner and 99 Tacoma. Great trucks that I should have never sold!

Clutch

<---Pass

The red one I posted looks cherry, HOWEVER...all I see is leaking seals, brittle electrical connectors, bearings/ball joints that are ready to fail or haven't all ready.

Anything with some age on it, is going to need attention. There is a thread on TW in the 1st gen section of how much guys are spending just to get them fixed. Last 4 years I have put about $6500 into my '99, and I am the second owner. Granted it just rolled 364K miles, nothing last forever.

Honestly I am getting tired of wrenching on it.

r27d

Someone else bought this truck this afternoon which is just fine with me. I'm going to stack my budget a little higher and keep my eye on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles