02 Tacoma buying advice

r27d

Hi guys been having a good time with my 91 Toyota pickup but I'm eyeing this built 02 Tacoma. He's lowered the asking price from $13k to $10k in the last few weeks. It has everything I'm looking for in a truck except I wish the camper shell was a little taller. Anyone notice anything about it I should look close at on this one when I check it out or anyone looking to sell their truck that's similar to this one?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2002-toyota-tacoma-4x4-trd/6429472373.html

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Looks like a really nicely built truck. Id say that pricing is fair, considering stock trucks are selling for similar prices.

phsycle

Adventurer
I would run a carfax or vehiclehistory.com to see where the truck has spent its life. I am noticing a TON of rust belt/east coast cars flooding the market here. Every single vehicle at a local dealership is from NY or OH. No, thank you.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd check the frame closely for corrosion no matter if it's local or came from a rust belt state.

Personally, I'd keep the '91 and if you end up selling it hit me a with PM. Seriously.

I would pass. My opinion.

Looks too molested to me.
I owned a 2002 Taco and loved it. sold it for 9K with 212K miles.

This will be gutless with 33's.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I would see what that same money will buy looking at other vehicles in the 11 grand range. If thats the best and in the same mileage then go ahead. I think they are over valued but thats just me.

JLee

Adventurer
I would pass. My opinion.

Looks too molested to me.
I owned a 2002 Taco and loved it. sold it for 9K with 212K miles.

This will be gutless with 33's.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

Tires are one of the easiest things to change on a vehicle. I generally factor new tires as a given for anything I buy.

roving1

Hard to say. The unpainted body dings don't look good to me in terms of general real maintenance.

Also re-gearing that thing would be the first I would do over and above all those other things. Not saying this is the case with this vehicle but not re-gearing is a sign to me of a half *** or show build over function. Stock suspension + slightly oversized tires re-geared with LSD's or lockers beats big lift and bypass shocks every time for overlanding IMHO.

r27d

I would run a carfax or vehiclehistory.com to see where the truck has spent its life. I am noticing a TON of rust belt/east coast cars flooding the market here. Every single vehicle at a local dealership is from NY or OH. No, thank you.

I ran the carfax. He's the second owner. He bought it from a guy in New Mexico (22,000 miles in 2006) and moved to CA til '08, Texas for '09, then back to the Bay Area CA ever since.

Reasons I want to upgrade over my 91: better suspension, locker, cruise control, airbags?, 5VZE instead of 3VZE, onboard air, sliders, skid plate,
Things I don't like about this 2002 truck: Only wish the camper shell was taller

I might wait for a better 10k truck to be posted by an Expo member. I posted my 91 on craigslist for and have over a dozen people interested with some sending me offers over what I posted it for "to be first in line" but makes me wonder why this 2002 has been on craigslist for 30 days, although the first two weeks it was posted at $13k.

bkg

Explorer
I ran the carfax. He's the second owner. He bought it from a guy in New Mexico (22,000 miles in 2006) and moved to CA til '08, Texas for '09, then back to the Bay Area CA ever since.

Reasons I want to upgrade over my 91: better suspension, locker, cruise control, airbags?, 5VZE instead of 3VZE
Things I don't like about this 2002 truck: Only wish the camper shell was taller

I might wait for a better 10k truck to be posted by an Expo member. I posted my 91 on craigslist for and have over a dozen people interested with some sending me offers over what I posted it for "to be first in line" but makes me wonder why this 2002 has been on craigslist for 30 days, although the first two weeks it was posted at $13k.

Craigslist is finicky... some days things are gone in minutes, others they sit for weeks. I've been trying to sell the stock wheels off my Ford for months... few tire kickers, then nothing... then people begging to buy them. It's weird.

Compare this to stock vehicles with the same specs. I've purchased a number of built trucks - two from Expo members. They can be hard to price, but they can also be a huge bargain. I made money on the first one (technically)... and the second one will remain with me for life. In part because I love it, and in part because I keep throwing money at it... lol

As for the comments on gearing... I've run 33's on my 04 with stock gearing for almost two years. It's now getting 4.88's, but only because I want to do it... not because it needs it. 90% of the "builds" here or of the overlanding genre run stock gearing at 33" tire sizes.

JLee

Adventurer
Craigslist is finicky... some days things are gone in minutes, others they sit for weeks. I've been trying to sell the stock wheels off my Ford for months... few tire kickers, then nothing... then people begging to buy them. It's weird.

Compare this to stock vehicles with the same specs. I've purchased a number of built trucks - two from Expo members. They can be hard to price, but they can also be a huge bargain. I made money on the first one (technically)... and the second one will remain with me for life. In part because I love it, and in part because I keep throwing money at it... lol

As for the comments on gearing... I've run 33's on my 04 with stock gearing for almost two years. It's now getting 4.88's, but only because I want to do it... not because it needs it. 90% of the "builds" here or of the overlanding genre run stock gearing at 33" tire sizes.

I had 33's on my 98 Tacoma and it was fine. Worlds better than 35's on my 80, which was still (barely) driveable.

Hard to say. The unpainted body dings don't look good to me in terms of general real maintenance.

Also re-gearing that thing would be the first I would do over and above all those other things. Not saying this is the case with this vehicle but not re-gearing is a sign to me of a half *** or show build over function. Stock suspension + slightly oversized tires re-geared with LSD's or lockers beats big lift and bypass shocks every time for overlanding IMHO.

I'm not sure I agree. Who fixes body dings on a trail truck? That just seems financially irresponsible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles