question

deadly99

Explorer
I am building a teardrop style trailer. Whats the common size folks use for their frames? I am thinking 1x3 steel. The teardrop section will b e 1x1 steel framed and aluminum clad

Any advice is appreciated

big44g

Head over to the TNTTT forum and you can get a lot of information. I have a custom off-road TD with 3x3 steel trailer. Very little flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hummelator

Adventurer
How will the camper be used?
I planed for mine to be offroad capable so I build with 2"x3"X1/8" tubing. The tongue was 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/4".
It's plenty strong

stomperxj

Explorer
I am building a teardrop style trailer. Whats the common size folks use for their frames? I am thinking 1x3 steel. The teardrop section will b e 1x1 steel framed and aluminum clad

Typical teardrop frames are 2x2x.120. If it is going to be particularly heavy then up the main rails to 2x3x.120. Do not use 1x3 for the frame.

deadly99

Explorer
Typical teardrop frames are 2x2x.120. If it is going to be particularly heavy then up the main rails to 2x3x.120. Do not use 1x3 for the frame.

A 1x3 would be stronger than a 2x2? It should end weighing about 2000lbs once it is all loaded up. It will be used on long distance gravel roads and easier trails. I like to drive fast. Hesitant to go 3x2 as I would like to keep the weight down/

ottsville

Observer
A 1x3 would be stronger than a 2x2? It should end weighing about 2000lbs once it is all loaded up. It will be used on long distance gravel roads and easier trails. I like to drive fast. Hesitant to go 3x2 as I would like to keep the weight down/

I would be concerned about deflection in the 1x3, especially if you go with .120. Plus, how are you going to attach suspension, etc to a 1x3?

stomperxj

Explorer
What do you call "particularly heavy?"

Heavy would be anything over 1500-1700lbs. I see you are saying 2000lbs so 2x3x.120 will be totally fine for the main frame rails. You can do everything else in 2x2x.120 or 2x2x.095.

Good luck. Start a build thread!

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks for the reply @stomperxj. How thick of 2x2 would you suggest for something in the 2000lb range?

Just bump the wall up to 3/16". For the tongue I'd run the tubes under the main frame like this:
9oVRi4h
9oVRi4h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles