2nd Generation Tundra: 4.6 vs 5.7 advice

cmgraves

Observer
Things in life change, and we had to sell our 1st generation tundra (realize that I need to update my signature) in order to help pay for wife's school. We are finally getting back on our feet and looking to purchase a 2nd generation tundra to help support our family outdoor lifestyle and weekend adventures. Most likely, we will purchase a canopy right away, and I will build a sleeping platform in the back to use for warm weekend excursion. But down the road, I am pretty keen on purchasing a hallmark Milner pop up camper (dry weight of 1200#s and I expect fully loaded to be 2100-2200#s) to go on a extended trips. We have 2 kids (age 6 and 9) and a dog.

So I know that I want 2010+ model (6 speed auto in 4.6 and major advancements in safety airbags), double cab, leather seats and of course 4x4. What I am having huge trouble deciding is the engine. the 4.6 vs 5.7. The criteria I am looking at (in order) is:
1. reliability (which I am factoring in the smaller engine will struggle more with added weight of camper),
2. gas mileage, (again, camper being a factor)
3. lower cost of maintenance
4. adequate power
5. able to do the job

So I am leaning towards the 4.6l as it seems that 95% of the time, would be the perfect engine for my needs with loading the kids up for a 3 day camping trip, or heading up with the buddies to go mountain biking, or road trip for a week long ski trip (no camper) as we would have more than enough power, I expect, better mileage and meet my criteria. What is making it a challenge, is the camper part. If we got a camper, would the 4.6l be underpower and would the engine struggle all the time? Would this add additional wear and tear on the engine and make it less reliable. Would the gas mileage be worse?

Also, I have heard people say that the they are getting the same mileage (unloaded) in the 5.7 as compared to the 4.6. I wonder if I got the 5.7l without the towing package and the gear ratio of 4.10 (vs 4.30) --is this statement true?? and would get better mileage, and that would fit the bill. I doubt I would over head the tranny when loaded with the camper. Except, a 5.7l without the towing package AND with leather seat, is that even an option?

And advice is greatly appreciated.

Adventurous

Explorer
According to data from fuelly.com (not filtered for cab/bed configuration), Tundras with the 4.6L motor are returning a combined MPG of between 15-16. Tundras with the 5.7L motor are returning a combined MPG of between 14-15 MPG.

Not a huge difference in fuel economy between those two, though I suspect the gulf between the two would grow when towing the trailer. I would also suggest finding one with the tow package as you'll get a heavier duty alternator, transmission cooler, rear differential gears, towing mirrors, the trailer wiring harness, TOW/HAUL mode, and an integrated brake controller. The towing package, at least with the 5.7L motor, also has the option to get a 38 gallon gas tank, which I'd be in favor of.

Personally I think you'd be better off with the 5.7L. Nobody has ever complained about having too much power, especially while towing, the MPG differences aren't huge, and I don't believe there are any known issues with the 5.7L that should steer you away from that option. Also keep in mind that if you ever intend to add larger tires, skid plates, sliders or bumpers that the weight will drag on the 4.6L more than the 5.7L.

bkg

Explorer
I wouldn't touch a 4.6 after reading your first paragraph.

You're going to get crap mileage with the Tundra, period. And you're adding weight to it, so it's going to be more crap. I've owned 4 5.7's and they all got ~14-15 on average.

You're not going to get better mileage with the 4.6, especially after adding weight. And switching to the 4.10's from 4.30's won't have an appreciable impact on mileage - especially after adding weight.

Bottom line - Toyota trucks get horrible mileage. That's just the state of affairs with Toyota right now. Worrying about .1 mpg here or there will result in a less than desirable driving experience.

bkg

Explorer
According to data from fuelly.com (not filtered for cab/bed configuration), Tundras with the 4.6L motor are returning a combined MPG of between 15-16. Tundras with the 5.7L motor are returning a combined MPG of between 14-15 MPG.

Not a huge difference in fuel economy between those two, though I suspect the gulf between the two would grow when towing the trailer. I would also suggest finding one with the tow package as you'll get a heavier duty alternator, transmission cooler, rear differential gears, towing mirrors, the trailer wiring harness, TOW/HAUL mode, and an integrated brake controller. The towing package, at least with the 5.7L motor, also has the option to get a 38 gallon gas tank, which I'd be in favor of.

Personally I think you'd be better off with the 5.7L. Nobody has ever complained about having too much power, especially while towing, the MPG differences aren't huge, and I don't believe there are any known issues with the 5.7L that should steer you away from that option.

100% this... with two questions..

1 - is the brake controller out yet? I just had a guy with a 2017 call me about my Prodigy mount on CL that I had in my 2015.
2 - not all towing packages come with the towing mirrors. IIRC, that was an option. But, I don't recall finding a Tundra w/o Towing package and a 5.7 when I looked (though I didn't look hard)

Adventurous

Explorer
100% this... with two questions..

1 - is the brake controller out yet? I just had a guy with a 2017 call me about my Prodigy mount on CL that I had in my 2015.
2 - not all towing packages come with the towing mirrors. IIRC, that was an option. But, I don't recall finding a Tundra w/o Towing package and a 5.7 when I looked (though I didn't look hard)

According to the 2018 catalog, the integrated brake controller comes on all 5.7L equipped models. Older models I don't know. Regardless, I'd recommend getting a Prodigy anyway, the OEM looks pretty rudimentary and I haven't read great feedback about it...

Good to know on the towing mirrors. Having towed a trailer without them, I'd never repeat that experience again. Can't see a damned thing. Towing mirrors makes it a much more comfortable experience.

phsycle

Adventurer
I would go 5.7L as well. A friend of mine had both the 5.7L (Tundra) and 4.6L (GX). Both was getting 13-14MPG. Horrible. I would imagine when you tow, the 5.7L may get better MPG than 4.6L, but again, difference may not even be noticeable.
-
Having said that, I would suggest a 3rd candidate. Tacoma double cab with Long bed. It'll be little tighter with the kids in the back. But compared to the double cab Tundra (not Crewmax), it's not that bad. Plus, you get 20+ MPG unloaded, and it will handle towing your trailer with zero issues. I'm just looking at your criteria and I just don't see where a Tacoma would fall short, except for the rear room. Plus, the TRD gets you a rear locker, in case your adventures get a little more...adventurous.

tennesseewj

Observer
Not a bad suggestion since the exterior dimensions will be very similar to the first gen Tundra you sold. It won't tow as nice as a 5.7L Tundra but the unloaded miles should see a mileage increase.

If you go full-size I'd go 5.7L. Better resale value down the road, the mileage hit is negligible, and the extra torque will certainly be tangible when towing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

montypower

Adventure Time!
5.7L is an excellent motor. I've owned 2010 and 2016 both purchased new. Your MPG will be directly dependent on tire choice, travel speed and driver ability. My 2010 averaged 16mpg while I owned it. The 2016 averaged 16mpg with a Four Wheel Camper. Difference was slowing down travel speed. Typically driving around 60mph. Best mileage on both was 20 mpg with no load and careful driving. Worse was about 13 mpg towing a trailer. Trailers kill the mpg!

Why get the small engine? Just learn to drive the big engine like a small engine! Also, the 38 gallon fuel tank with the 5.7L is absolutely incredible. I could easily get 600 miles per tank (not loaded) and always over 500 miles on trips. The big tank alone is worth getting the 5.7L.

No repair issues with over 50k miles.

bkg

Explorer
I would go 5.7L as well. A friend of mine had both the 5.7L (Tundra) and 4.6L (GX). Both was getting 13-14MPG. Horrible. I would imagine when you tow, the 5.7L may get better MPG than 4.6L, but again, difference may not even be noticeable.
-
Having said that, I would suggest a 3rd candidate. Tacoma double cab with Long bed. It'll be little tighter with the kids in the back. But compared to the double cab Tundra (not Crewmax), it's not that bad. Plus, you get 20+ MPG unloaded, and it will handle towing your trailer with zero issues. I'm just looking at your criteria and I just don't see where a Tacoma would fall short, except for the rear room. Plus, the TRD gets you a rear locker, in case your adventures get a little more...adventurous.

I disagree with this. I would never compare a 3.5 Tacoma to a 5.7 Tundra for the needs outlined in the OP.

phsycle

Adventurer
I disagree with this. I would never compare a 3.5 Tacoma to a 5.7 Tundra for the needs outlined in the OP.

Yes, 100% agree. Sorry, I read it as a 2,200lb camper trailer. I retract the Tacoma suggestion. However, I will also say the Tundra is not up to the task either. Unless you go single-cab, no Tundra I've seen has the payload to accommodate a 2k lb camper (that doesn't even include passengers).
-
You need a 3/4 ton.

Trikebubble

Adventurer

I wholeheartedly agree with this. This will be no comparison between the two whatsoever. The 5.7 in the Tundra is a simply an amazing motor. In my humble opinion, if this is what your choices have come down to, get the Tundra with the 5.7. Their will likely never be a time when you will find yourself wanting for more power.
I sold my Xterra and rooftop tent last summer and started looking for a 1/2 ton gas powered truck to purchase and to use with the Four Wheel Camper we were ordering. After way too much research I kept coming back to the Tundra, and i'm very glad I did. I found a 2014 lease return TRD Off-Road double cab with only 65K km on it, with the 5.7 and 4/3 gears. I tend to mosey along like an old lady and I find fuel mileage isn't too much different than the old Xterra. And I'm more than happy to accept the mpg's given how comfortable and spacious the truck is, and how much power it has on tap if and when it's required.
My brother in law has the Tacoma, and their is (again) no comparison between the interior space of the two. Their is just so much room for stretching out when on long hauls in the Tundra.

Come over to the dark side of full-size "overlanding". Get the 5.7 Tundra, you won't be disappointed.

bkg

Explorer
Yes, 100% agree. Sorry, I read it as a 2,200lb camper trailer. I retract the Tacoma suggestion. However, I will also say the Tundra is not up to the task either. Unless you go single-cab, no Tundra I've seen has the payload to accommodate a 2k lb camper (that doesn't even include passengers).
-
You need a 3/4 ton.

I agree with you on the 3/4 ton recommendation. I got rid of our 15 crew max for an f350 and will never go back. Toyota, imho, is being left in the dust by the other mfg’s

D

Deleted member 9101

-

I looked at Tacomas, for less money I got a F150 that is hands down a better preforming truck.

phsycle

Adventurer
I looked at Tacomas, for less money I got a F150 that is hands down a better preforming truck.

Yeah, well, talk to me after 5 years when you go to sell your truck and I go to sell my Taco! :D

F150’s are nice. I do like them quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah, well, talk to me after 5 years when you go to sell your truck and I go to sell my Taco! :D

F150's are nice. I do like them quite a bit.

Who says I'm only keeping it for 5 years ;-)

Don't get me wrong, Tacomas are nice, but they are waaaaaay over valued....lol.

As for the OP, 5.7 all the way. The 4.7 is nice and one even went over a million miles, but it will not preform under a load like it's big brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles