My first Land Rover

El Solis

Adventurer
First step, register and ask the crew on defendersource.com all these questions. Second, 200tdi’s are usually over cooled so a stock rad will be fine. Third, I went with an electric fan over the viscous for a few reasons, one it comes on earlier (thermostatic switch from X engineering no affiliation) and can be turned off for water crossings. As everyone has said, enjoy the slow life and just cruise around town. These are beasts in the respect that it is hard to kill them, I’ve tried enjoy!!
c85c3e8a4af113cb6377ca5298aab6b4.jpg

rlynch356

Defyota
Mine is a white NAS with a black soft top. I think you mean Jason I think from Charleston sc, with a white NAS hardtop.
As far as parts go, yes.. Land Rover customs has some depending on what you need, for TDI parts, Doug at diving creek imports or Robert Davis in Norfolk. But I use LRdirect.com mostly. We have a local raleigh group that meets monthly at breweries if your in the area.
Also we do weekends and private “events” in Uwharrie and big creek.

DividingCreek

Explorer
If you are going to replace the radiator (that one is past its expiration date) and water pump, I'd suggest doing the timing belt @ that time. The waterpump has to come off to do the belt so they are usually done @ the same time.
The timing belt service interval is 5 yrs or 60k whichever comes first and these are interference engines. Congratulations, see you @ URE.

Last edited:

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Mine is a white NAS with a black soft top. I think you mean Jason I think from Charleston sc, with a white NAS hardtop.
As far as parts go, yes.. Land Rover customs has some depending on what you need, for TDI parts, Doug at diving creek imports or Robert Davis in Norfolk. But I use LRdirect.com mostly. We have a local raleigh group that meets monthly at breweries if your in the area.
Also we do weekends and private “events” in Uwharrie and big creek.
Yes I'm with the group with Jason and Everyone else. I am local I'm from Goldsboro but stationed overseas at the moment. What is the name of your group does it have a Facebook page or anything?
f454c5c1bd3b2e2ff13daa1b7d72af98.jpg
fe7d3dd48fe61d3e41e2a51ff5ac880d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
If you are going to replace the radiator (that one is past its expiration date) and water pump, I'd suggest doing the timing belt @ that time. The waterpump has to come off to do the belt so they are usually done @ the same time.
The timing belt service interval is 5 yrs or 60k whichever comes first and these are interference engines. Congratulations, see you @ URE.
Yes we are doing the timing belt as well when we do the other stuff. Thankyou sounds good hopefully I can make it!

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
What branch are you in I was in the marines 0311 from 04-09 if the fan is a spal fan I say go for it but if not that is a lot for an eBay special also get a electric thermostat to control it and I would make sure that your electrical system is going to handle the load
I'm in the Navy, Thankyou for your service and the info.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
As everyone has said, enjoy the slow life and just cruise around town. enjoy!!

Or if you want to do long trips, that's also awesome, the 200tdi loves to just cruise along all day, all night, all the next day, etc.

We have driven ours from Canada to Mexico and back 5 times, Seattle to New York and back twice, and lots of multi-week trips.

The secret is to learn how to manage the noise, and the time. I have a David Clark headset from my days with FLIR, I've got an adaptor for my stereo jack, and I can cruise along in audio comfort for days on end.

I also download audio books from the library before long trips if I am going to do a lot of pavement, so a 10 hour drive that would have been 8 hours in a normal car, doesn't bother me at all.

But then, my 110 is slower than most. I have the 1.4 Transfer case, and I changed my axles from 3.54 to 4.72 gearing. This allows me to run 35 and 38 inch tires, as well as a set of tracks in the winter, but I won't pass anyone on the highway.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Here's a update on the build. Most of the hoses,belts and new radiator have finally came in and we are starting to replace them. We are starting with the engine bay and then moving to suspension and interior. I am trying to decide on the tire size I want to go with. I have a few options I have narrowed it down to, I will probably go with BFG KO2 or KM2. I do plan on driving it cross country and it will also be my daily driver. What are you guy's thoughts? Post pictures please of your tire size suggestions if you can. Thanks for the comments and help so far.
2b205d2ed03db8bad552518844349dbe.jpg
fc7faf6e4925ef648ea24330fd7faa51.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Re: Tires

both K02 and KM2 are great. Prefer KM2

Anything other than 235/85/R16 is sacrilege. My 110 has them (KM2, will likely get again), travel man sheepdog has that size in toyo MT's, also happens to be the euro stock tire size when they still made the defender. I see no point in going larger especially on a daily car or a cross country one. If Camel can do a jungle, desert, mountains, etc. with XZL's in a smaller size than even 235 then why go bigger. Good enough.

Nothing personal to those with larger tires, just subscribe to the less is more logic, and plenty of euro folks have done more than me with worse tires over longer distances.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Congrats on going to the dark side. Nice looking 90, and already has Wolf wheels. I have had 4 jeeps and 2 DiscoI, 1 DiscoII, and now have 1 LR4 and 4 Defenders! It is addictive.

My 2 cents, while your dad is under the hood:
Ensure throttle cable adjusted properly
Ensure clutch pedal adjusted properly
Adjust valves to spec
Dial guage adjustment and timing of injector pump
Check turbo for excessive shaft play
Change fuel filter, put a few hundred miles on it, and change again.

Read a lot before you mess with IP settings ensure that you have it close to baseline/factory settings. Just my advise. Doug at Dividing Creek has a nice archive writeup, IIRC.

200’s are known for vibration. Either go with Glencoyne motor/drivetrain mounts, or with Bearmach. Any others are too stiff, this is based on a lot of people’s experience on DefenderSource and UK forums.

DynaMat and factory sound insulation/tunnel matting are a big help.

Don’t know what is going on with dash, but it appears to block the windscreen vents. Seat retrim kits are cheap, Exmoor really good brand, BritPart are good. Buy these from a UK vendor, easy to do.

Take a look at AdamSanta85’s 90 thread on Defendersource. Really good refresh of a 90.

Have fun!

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Congrats on going to the dark side. Nice looking 90, and already has Wolf wheels. I have had 4 jeeps and 2 DiscoI, 1 DiscoII, and now have 1 LR4 and 4 Defenders! It is addictive.

My 2 cents, while your dad is under the hood:
Ensure throttle cable adjusted properly
Ensure clutch pedal adjusted properly
Adjust valves to spec
Dial guage adjustment and timing of injector pump
Check turbo for excessive shaft play
Change fuel filter, put a few hundred miles on it, and change again.

Read a lot before you mess with IP settings ensure that you have it close to baseline/factory settings. Just my advise. Doug at Dividing Creek has a nice archive writeup, IIRC.

200’s are known for vibration. Either go with Glencoyne motor/drivetrain mounts, or with Bearmach. Any others are too stiff, this is based on a lot of people’s experience on DefenderSource and UK forums.

DynaMat and factory sound insulation/tunnel matting are a big help.

Don’t know what is going on with dash, but it appears to block the windscreen vents. Seat retrim kits are cheap, Exmoor really good brand, BritPart are good. Buy these from a UK vendor, easy to do.

Take a look at AdamSanta85’s 90 thread on Defendersource. Really good refresh of a 90.

Have fun!
Awesome thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles