My first Land Rover

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
This is the story of me switching from Jeeps to a Land Rover. (More than likely it won't be permanent.) I will definitely own another Jeep in the future. I have owned 7 jeeps ranging from a 1953CJ3a to a 2006 65th anniversary edition. During my time owning Jeeps I have never been apart of a Jeep club but I was apart of a Land Rover club that one of my good friends turned me on to. Twice a year we would have get togethers at Uwharrie National Forrest in NC. I would always be driving a Jeep and everyone else would be driving Land Rovers. Overtime I learned to admire Defenders,Series Trucks, and a few Discos.

Fast forward a few years, all my Jeeps are sold and I am in the Military stationed in the Middle East. Ever since seeing them at Uwharrie I wanted a Defender 90. After joining the Military I decided to keep a lookout for one to import wherever I travelled to or was stationed. I haven't found one to import but my Dad found one back in the states close to home. At first we thought about it quickly blew it off and said we'll keep looking and try to get one closer to when I come back home. A month later the conversation comes back up and it turns out the Land Rover is still forsale. We both couldn't pass it up so we pulled the trigger!

What we got is a 1992 LHD Defender 90 200TDI. All we know of its history is that it was imported from Spain. (If anybody knows how to find the history of a vehicle let me know please, I would love to find out more.) Being from Spain it turns out to be 99% rust free. After we found it was still forsale we caught it in the middle of being repainted the original color. Yes that upped the price but they did an excellent Job and saved me some work. We finally brought it home the other day and the restoration begins. It's exciting but I won't be able to drive it until atleast 6-8 more months as I'm still stationed overseas. I have the funds and my Dad is the one doing the labour for now. We plan on taking a trip in it and to Uwharrie in October 2018. If anyone has any questions, advice, or info please share.

b53c2c73b09ed965f5ce6bbd3594c6a2.jpg
249078056260bcc25cb918c3fef5cdc2.jpg
b9cb019d974a8b047313f97a05dc9b90.jpg
236fc2bf0a7b70de206f39d09ed96569.jpg
9ab8cca770ebdc7522ad433276b4f7c9.jpg
c1bc27dbc355a307aa515f0187814eae.jpg
fcd7ae1562869c2af989659b4772889a.jpg
f14e65694307abd9d3522b238541d380.jpg
4d8be34837dd7be2efecde391b03ed03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dcproven

Adventurer
I am the other way around, 6 Land Rovers and 1 jeep (which I sold long ago). If you want to know the history of the vehicle and you have the original plate from Spain, you can post in the CLRTTE the club there, to find out if anyone knows it or owned it, it's a long shot bu better than nothing.... you can also order an official record in trafico (DGT) in Spain, but it will just give you owners and pending litigation/owned taxes on it.
Funny, it looks similar to one I rode with a friend in 2014
20141004_124641.jpg

HTH

LKLK

Good looking truck, congrats! I hope you make it home safe. That rad and engine does need a little tlc though.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Really cool it went back to the original color and took some of the crap off it.

For a first LR you definitely are in a spot most people would be jealous of. Manual LHD 200tdi? RAD. They're easy to work on and will not let you down.

ME LIKE.

rlynch356

Defyota
What wait! Have we met? I’m there for both URE trips for the past 4 years ... White 90 (among the other 90’s in group camp)
Lemme know.. I can help

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Wow it looks great in the original blue.

I also have a 200tdi so if you have any questions or need anything shoot me a note.

Cheers

Ray

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Really cool it went back to the original color and took some of the crap off it.

For a first LR you definitely are in a spot most people would be jealous of. Manual LHD 200tdi? RAD. They're easy to work on and will not let you down.

ME LIKE.
Yes I'm glad they took the sidepanels off! They Tig welded the rivet holes instead of just covering them with body filler. Yes it has the original LT77 5 speed.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Good looking truck, congrats! I hope you make it home safe. That rad and engine does need a little tlc though.
Yes, Radiator looks rough but it holds water surprisingly. However it is still getting replaced along with the water pump. I am thinking of installing a electric fan also. We are going to clean the engine and replace all the hoses and belts. I'm trying to replace everything I can to make it as reliable as possible.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Wow it looks great in the original blue.

I also have a 200tdi so if you have any questions or need anything shoot me a note.

Cheers

Ray
Yes much better than the black. Is there any options for upgrading the turbo or any other ways to add power? Could I put a 300 TDI turbo on it?

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
What wait! Have we met? I’m there for both URE trips for the past 4 years ... White 90 (among the other 90’s in group camp)
Lemme know.. I can help
I'm not sure I only know 1 person with a white 90 and it is a NAS. We usually camp in the back left corner right past the bathrooms on the right. I am apart of a smaller group called LowCountry Rovers made up of people from North and South Carolina. Is there sources for parts in NC?

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
I am the other way around, 6 Land Rovers and 1 jeep (which I sold long ago). If you want to know the history of the vehicle and you have the original plate from Spain, you can post in the CLRTTE the club there, to find out if anyone knows it or owned it, it's a long shot bu better than nothing.... you can also order an official record in trafico (DGT) in Spain, but it will just give you owners and pending litigation/owned taxes on it.
Funny, it looks similar to one I rode with a friend in 2014
20141004_124641.jpg

HTH
Awesome thanks for the help I will check that out!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yes much better than the black. Is there any options for upgrading the turbo or any other ways to add power? Could I put a 300 TDI turbo on it?

You can turn up the fuel pump pressure and turbo boost, the truck is de-tuned from the factory but I’d keep it as is, enjoy the slow pace and the long engine life. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exploder
I agree with Ray.

You've bought a fast tractor. Resist the urge to vroom vroom it; at least for a while.

polksfinest

Observer
What branch are you in I was in the marines 0311 from 04-09 if the fan is a spal fan I say go for it but if not that is a lot for an eBay special also get a electric thermostat to control it and I would make sure that your electrical system is going to handle the load

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles