Ford f550 vs Dodge 5500 for expedition vehicle

dfs9

Hi,
Looking to have built an expedition vehicle at GXV. I need to decide on a chassis either a Ford F550 or Dodge 5500.
Either gas or diesel, I would prefer diesel but reading all the problems with both Ford and Dodge concerning DEF and other emissions control issues I am looking at gas. A Fuso would work but they are not certified for B20 fuel, which it seems is where the US is headed for diesel fuel.
Any input would be appreciated.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
The Gas vs Diesel topic is very interesting and I'm looking forward reading the replies here. I'm running a 2001 Sprinter without DEF but still a bit concerned about the B20 fuel mix. When I picked up the truck at the port last summer it had a bit of diesel from Germany in it. After sitting for 6 months, there was no visible smoke after start up. But as soon as I filled it up with Canadian diesel I noticed a visible excaust cloud. Not white or blue smoke just some minor vapour.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
In that position looking to invest quite a bit I would just buy a nice condition older pre-ULSD truck, invest some $ into making it better than new mechanically, and build that new GXV box onto it.

But personally a vehicle warranty has zero value to me. The GXV part of it I wouldn't mind getting new so they can sort out any of the nearly inevitable shakedown issues of something that complex and custom.

zb39

Adventurer
I have owned a 2011 and 2016 Ram. Zero issues with emissions. They were sorted out around 2009-2010. I ordered a new 2018 Ram 5500 crew about a month ago for my build. Hope this helps.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If 2017 or 2018, I'm voting Ford. If you choose gas, then Ford even more. 550 is available with the 6.8L V10.

CreeksideKP

I'd consider two things. Will you keep it for 150,000+ miles to utilize the longevity of the diesel? Will the complete vehicle be heavy enough to need the power of the diesel over gas?

Also are you going to take it to countries where ULSD isn't available?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dfs9

Plan on keeping it for at least 150,000 Miles, not going to countries where ULSD isn't available.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
If 2017 or 2018, I'm voting Ford. If you choose gas, then Ford even more. 550 is available with the 6.8L V10.

I agree. The V10 in my van has been flawless (other than sucking up the gas) for the 10 years I've had it. Also, get the manual hubs with the Ford and you won't have to put up with all that rotational mass in the front axle turning all the time, changing out the front axle u-joints, etc.

As far as gas vs diesel, keep in mind your fuel mileage with such a heavy vehicle. The V-10 in my van has never gotten better than 12 mpg and you will be hauling a lot more weight; I'd estimate in your truck we're talking no better than 9-10 mpg. With a diesel you should be able to eke out 15-16 mpg which in remote country means a lot.

Dalko43

Explorer
Plan on keeping it for at least 150,000 Miles, not going to countries where ULSD isn't available.

If you're going with a 5500, I assume it's because you want to carry or tow a big load. High payload/towing, 150k miles of use, diesel makes sense in my book. The emissions systems, while not perfect, are certainly much improved over the earlier variants. Plenty of people getting into high mileage with the emissions intact. The addition of DEF has actually helped to improve reliability and efficiency (less reliance on EGR and DPF active regen cycles), so I would not worry about that aspect too much.

ULSD availability isn't an issue in North America. It's only a matter of time before Central and South America follow suit, as there is a decreasing tolerance for dirty diesels in other nations.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Our 450's have manual hubs already. Don't the 550's?

s-l225.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree. The V10 in my van has been flawless (other than sucking up the gas) for the 10 years I've had it. Also, get the manual hubs with the Ford and you won't have to put up with all that rotational mass in the front axle turning all the time, changing out the front axle u-joints, etc.

As far as gas vs diesel, keep in mind your fuel mileage with such a heavy vehicle. The V-10 in my van has never gotten better than 12 mpg and you will be hauling a lot more weight; I'd estimate in your truck we're talking no better than 9-10 mpg. With a diesel you should be able to eke out 15-16 mpg which in remote country means a lot.

I think 15-16 out of a 550 or 5500 with a camper is impossible unless you only count driving downhill. I would say 11 to 12 is closer.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Buy either an F-550 or a Ram 5500, then yank out the engine and replace it with a well-built 12-valve Cummins with mechanical everything.

Just don't tell anyone...

Dalko43

Explorer
I think 15-16 out of a 550 or 5500 with a camper is impossible unless you only count driving downhill. I would say 11 to 12 is closer.

I'm pretty sure there are members on this forum with the Ram 2500/3500 and a camper setup who've been getting ~15-16mpg on their journeys. The 5500 might be a little bit heavier, but otherwise it's the same basic platform and powertrain; 5500 I think only comes in DRW. If we're talking SRW, 15 mpg seems feasible while carrying a camper.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm pretty sure there are members on this forum with the Ram 2500/3500 and a camper setup who've been getting ~15-16mpg on their journeys. The 5500 might be a little bit heavier, but otherwise it's the same basic platform and powertrain; 5500 I think only comes in DRW. If we're talking SRW, 15 mpg seems feasible while carrying a camper.

I can squeak out 15mpg on my 2017 single wheel F350, and I drive it easy. If someone can get that in a 550 version with a camper, well they are better than I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne