Size of Camper Box on a FG LWB

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
We are now back in the US, tomorrow morning heading out early for a couple hour drive to check out the truck. Hopefully it will look good and by the time we leave next week the truck will be taken care of and I can move onto the camper design.

Victorian, thanks again for the good info. I really do like the 45 degree angles better than the rectangular look. I guess I even prefer the "pieced together" look over the square corner. I would think doing the "pieced together" the way you did the "folded" 45 (with the filler to make is smooth) would still look ok. This way it would still work with a 20' container. Would you still recommend a max 12' box with a "pieced together" 45 for the top front and bottom rear? I am sort of shooting for a 15' if at all possible to give us a bit more room.

Mog, your design really looks good with some good thought. Any thought on the interior?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Ever worked with fibreglass John?
It would be fairly straight forward to make moulds for hand laying the corner and 45 degree sections.
The biggest advantage of using fibreglass for the corner pieces, other than just looks, is that there would be very little difference in the expansion rates between the sheets and the corners.
You would simply glue these on, as you would aluminium edging.

I should also add that doing rounded 45's and using kerf cuts does not have to weaken anything. If you put glue in the kerfs prior to bending it will make the corner very strong. You could also glass over the inner side, hiding the kerfs cuts completely and making it waterproof too. Depending on the core material of the composite sheets, it may be necessary to use epoxy for this, as some of these cores will "melt" if you use an MEK based resin, but either way you could make a very nicely shaped box that way.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Ever worked with fibreglass John?
It would be fairly straight forward to make moulds for hand laying the corner and 45 degree sections.
The biggest advantage of using fibreglass for the corner pieces, other than just looks, is that there would be very little difference in the expansion rates between the sheets and the corners.
You would simply glue these on, as you would aluminium edging.

I should also add that doing rounded 45's and using kerf cuts does not have to weaken anything. If you put glue in the kerfs prior to bending it will make the corner very strong. You could also glass over the inner side, hiding the kerfs cuts completely and making it waterproof too. Depending on the core material of the composite sheets, it may be necessary to use epoxy for this, as some of these cores will "melt" if you use an MEK based resin, but either way you could make a very nicely shaped box that way.

100% agreed! Using epoxy to "glass" the interior is the way to go as we are using XPS for that part of the panel. Polyester resin would eat the foam... With ours, I did not apply any adhesive inside the kerf cuts as the glue would have only held onto the foam core with little strength. I was also worried that any adhesive inside those cavities would prevent the panel from folding nicely.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey Owen, yup have done a bunch with fiberglass including polyester, vinylester a epoxy resins. I do like your idea of the custom 45 degree fiberglass corners. Probably a bit more time upfront making the glass parts but then you never have to worry about paint sticking to aluminum. I guess the inside could be done similar and still look pretty good. Doing it this way you avoid having to paint the fiberglass work.

So Victorian, so epoxy resin would work ok here (it would bond ok)? I am assuming that this would be considered cosmetic on the inside and not structural (based on the earlier recommendation of not glassing the 90 degree corners).

Just got back from inspecting the 2010 truck. I really need to think it through, there was more rust than I had hoped. The worst section was actually right above the rear attachment point of the passenger side front leaf spring. I think it might be ok, just not perfect. I am also guessing that the frame flex is not really in this section and so it might be able to be repaired. I really did like the truck though and not feel pretty sure a Fuso is the way we will go.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hey Owen, yup have done a bunch with fiberglass including polyester, vinylester a epoxy resins. I do like your idea of the custom 45 degree fiberglass corners.

Maybe make some 'extras' once you get going. I know someone that will need some. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles