2019 Tundra

rruff

Explorer
The emissions cheating has been mostly a European issue thus far.

Ford and GM and Chrysler are facing lawsuits over diesel emissions.

And no, you don't need 300 hp for mid-sized and 400hp for fullsized trucks. The high demand for GM 2.8l duramax and the FCA 3.0l v6 ecodiesel prove that. 400 hp is a peak hp number. I'm less concerned with peak hp numbers and I'm far more concerned with the hp and torque curves for a particular engine (at least when it comes to trucks and 4x4's).

Which is why they can get away with lower hp on diesels (more torque), but not gas motors.

Its such a huge change from the 80s. I have a '86 Toyota. The Tundra has 3x the hp and weighs 2x as much. Literally. The Tacoma is just a little smaller.

The latest diesel turbo Hilux, 0-62 in 12.8s. That's about half the acceleration of a Tundra. https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hilux-diesel-double-cab/first-drive

But here they say "Paired with the automatic gearbox, it has a combined fuel economy figure of 36.2mpg. The manual transmission betters those figures, at 40.4mpg" ???? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/hilux

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Ford and GM and Chrysler are facing lawsuits over diesel emissions.

Which is why they can get away with lower hp on diesels (more torque), but not gas motors.

Its such a huge change from the 80s. I have a '86 Toyota. The Tundra has 3x the hp and weighs 2x as much. Literally. The Tacoma is just a little smaller.

The latest diesel turbo Hilux, 0-62 in 12.8s. That's about half the acceleration of a Tundra. https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hilux-diesel-double-cab/first-drive

But here they say "Paired with the automatic gearbox, it has a combined fuel economy figure of 36.2mpg. The manual transmission betters those figures, at 40.4mpg" ???? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/hilux

Do they do mpg over there? My guess is more like 22 for the auto and 25 for the manual when converted to gallons.

Clutch

<---Pass

Do they do mpg over there? My guess is more like 22 for the auto and 25 for the manual when converted to gallons.

Thought UK uses Imperial Gallon? Still not too shabby when you do the conversion.

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-mpgimperial-to-mpg.html?val=36

Clutch

<---Pass
yeah you are right around 30 to 33 depending on tranny. I was converting to liters.

*thumbs-up*

Though, none of it matters...we will never get diesel here from Toyota. Hybrids are a coming, don't think that is necessarily a bad thing either. Think I rather deal with that than diesel emission systems.

rruff

Explorer
Thought UK uses Imperial Gallon? Still not too shabby when you do the conversion.

Oh ya! The conversion is .833, so 40 mpg would be 33.3 mpg, for instance.

I've been looking at all the smaller trucks sold overseas. More utilitarian, and higher mpg, just the way I like it. Oh well.

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh ya! The conversion is .833, so 40 mpg would be 33.3 mpg, for instance.
:D

I've been looking at all the smaller trucks sold overseas. More utilitarian, and higher mpg, just the way I like it. Oh well.

I tend to end up on the AUS Toyota site from time to time.

Have been looking over the accessories page for the HiLux, actual practical pieces...because they tend to use their trucks as trucks over there.

Like canvas seat covers, and trays. Too bad trays never really caught on over here, just so more practical.

https://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/accessories

hilux-seat-covers-front-canvas.jpg

hilux-dcc-rubber-tray-mat.jpg

Do see AT and Mainline Overland offer them, but not exactly cheap! That and unlike the HiLux, the Tacoma doesn't have the payload number's to back it up.

27544631_1872275869470392_4051715596778536141_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I tend to end up on the AUS Toyota site from time to time.

Have been looking over the accessories page for the HiLux, actual practical pieces...because they tend to use their trucks as trucks over there.

Like canvas seat covers, and trays. Too bad trays never really caught on over here, just so more practical.

https://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/accessories

hilux-seat-covers-front-canvas.jpg

hilux-dcc-rubber-tray-mat.jpg

Do see AT and Mainline Overland offer them, but not exactly cheap! That and unlike the HiLux, the Tacoma doesn't have the payload number's to back it up.

27544631_1872275869470392_4051715596778536141_n.jpg

I do agree that Toyota's overseas offerings are pretty cool and utilitarian. That said, you can still get 3/4 ton's as simple and plain work trucks, even with the pickup bed removed.

Australia uses the Hilux, LC 70 series (and comparable trucks) as their "work truck;" over here, we use 3/4 and 1 ton's and 1/2 ton's to some degree. Also, for as much as the Hilux is venerated as a small but capable "work truck," I do wonder how it truly compares in terms of safety and handling to something like a North American 1/2 ton for carrying loads and towing. Sometimes bigger is, in fact, better...

May want to ask VW if the lawsuit went anywhere

Go read the nature of the allegations, and the evidence, that has been thrown against the domestic diesel makers and then compare that to the VW situation. Based on the evidence presented thus far (or lack thereof), they're not even in the same ballpark. Also, excluding FCA's 3.0l ecodiesel (which is an Italian design), the EPA hasn't take any action against the domestic companies. Read the news that's out there. I'm not going to sidetrack this thread any further.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Australia uses the Hilux, LC 70 series (and comparable trucks) as their "work truck;" over here, we use 3/4 and 1 ton's and 1/2 ton's to some degree. Also, for as much as the Hilux is venerated as a small but capable "work truck," I do wonder how it truly compares in terms of safety and handling to something like a North American 1/2 ton for carrying loads and towing. Sometimes bigger is, in fact, better...

I commented earlier how my Tundra has the same payload rating as my '86 Toyota, even though it has 2x the weight and 3x the power. There is no contest as far as safety, handling, stopping, acceleration, etc. with that load.

The little foreign trucks all have payload ratings ~2300 lb, considerably higher than US full size 1/2 tons. I think the biggest reason is that most of our trucks are designed to be used as cars so we get soft suspension and street tires. With a suspension and tire upgrade I'm pretty certain that our trucks will handle a larger load more easily than a foreign midsize.

The engines are another big difference. They are apparently happy with 0-60 times ~12s. That's almost double the typical US truck. They are nearly all diesels that get > 30mpg too.

Other developed countries heavily tax fossil fuel, so it makes sense that they have smaller vehicles and emphasize mpg. There was a brief period when we cared about mpg as well, but that appears to be out the window.

Clutch

<---Pass
I do agree that Toyota's overseas offerings are pretty cool and utilitarian. That said, you can still get 3/4 ton's as simple and plain work trucks, even with the pickup bed removed.

Where we live, the 3/4-1 ton flat bed truck is king, we are surrounded by a lot of AG. and yeah you can still get a basic truck...well basic by today's standards.

Not terribly efficient though. Ram EcoDiesel is kinda close, but dismal payload. Had high hopes for the new F-150 diesel, but it appears that it will only be offered in the higher urban cowboy trim. No dice on the base XL models. Just think a F-150 RCLB XL with the HD payload package that got 400ft/lbs TQ, 30 mpgs, under $30K would be dang nice.

phsycle

Adventurer
I commented earlier how my Tundra has the same payload rating as my '86 Toyota, even though it has 2x the weight and 3x the power. There is no contest as far as safety, handling, stopping, acceleration, etc. with that load.

The little foreign trucks all have payload ratings ~2300 lb, considerably higher than US full size 1/2 tons. I think the biggest reason is that most of our trucks are designed to be used as cars so we get soft suspension and street tires. With a suspension and tire upgrade I'm pretty certain that our trucks will handle a larger load more easily than a foreign midsize.

The engines are another big difference. They are apparently happy with 0-60 times ~12s. That's almost double the typical US truck. They are nearly all diesels that get > 30mpg too.

Other developed countries heavily tax fossil fuel, so it makes sense that they have smaller vehicles and emphasize mpg. There was a brief period when we cared about mpg as well, but that appears to be out the window.

There may be lesser regulations on safety equipment in foreign countries, which means less weight, which increases payload. But I do think "payload modifications" from the factory goes much further than suspension and tires. If I remember right, when the Tacoma was introduced, the frame itself was modified to a much lighter duty compared to Hilux's. I don't think you can just slap on springs and assume it can then safety carry over factory payload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94