2019 Tundra

v_man

Explorer
Uh oh here comes a raging C-channel debate. Maybe the 8 millionth internet discussion will straighten it all out.

Dalko43

Explorer
Their trucks are c-channel and the suspensions are super old. Sure they work fine, but where is the progression? I love my 2006 4runner, but what's changed?

I'm not a fan of the c-channel construction either. The leaf springs are still widely used in truck applications where high payload is needed. Even some variants of the sacred LC 70 still use leaf springs.

C-channel frames aside, the Tacoma and Tundra are well-built IMHO. Same for the 4runner and LC 200, both of which have seen chassis improvements over the years. What would you want to see changed on those platforms and why? I'm more interested in seeing the engines updated; the frames and chassis are Toyota's strong points in my view.

F5driver

Adventurer
Tundra platform is 12 years old. Complete BS to ride a horse that long give the advances in engine technology. Toyota is lazy.

Clutch

<---Pass
Eb owners that claim those mileage numbers are stretching the truth.

*chuckle* I dunno, around 20 hwy is usually the number I hear from friends and clients who have them.

Nothing wrong with a c channel. Done with this subject. What's wrong with the 4Runner frame? Why do you guys think manufacturers have to change every couple years?

I don't think manufactures have to keep on changing every couple years, but you know me I would buy a brand new 1st Gen Tacoma if they offered "today"...and expect to pay what it sold for 20 years ago too. ;)

Nothing wrong with the 4Runner, though if I was in the market for a SUV, would probably get the Highlander over the 'Runner....that all wheel independent suspension's ride is so much better. (Think my commute is getting to me...)

Biggest complaint is with Toyota is, that gas mileage is dismal with their truck line, has been stagnate for years and years. (While their cars keep on improving) But what do you expect from bricks on wheels, ya know? (think I am getting tired of feeding the truck because of the newish commute, ha!)

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
*chuckle*

I don't think manufactures have to keep on changing every couple years, but you know me I would buy a brand new 1st Gen Tacoma if they offered "today"...and expect to pay what it sold for 20 years ago too. ;)

Nothing wrong with the 4Runner, though if I was in the market for a SUV, would probably get the Highlander over the 'Runner....that all wheel independent suspension's ride is so much better. (Think my commute is getting to me...)

Biggest complaint is with Toyota is, that gas mileage is dismal with their truck line, has been stagnate for years and years. (While their cars keep on improving) But what do you expect from bricks on wheels, ya know? (think I am getting tired of feeding the truck because of the newish commute, ha!)

You know the 1st gen Tacoma’s has a c channel frame . Sorry had to.
Toyota trucks have always had worse mpg. My fj60 gets worse mileage than the 81 Cherokee with a 4.2 I learned to drive in. But the Cherokee weighed a thousand pounds less. But in reality my tundra isn’t that bad. I got 18 coming back home for Christmas and I was cruising at 70.

Clutch

<---Pass
You know the 1st gen Tacoma’s has a c channel frame . Sorry had to.

It has both! Best of both worlds! Touché!

Toyota trucks have always had worse mpg. My fj60 gets worse mileage than the 81 Cherokee with a 4.2 I learned to drive in. But the Cherokee weighed a thousand pounds less. But in reality my tundra isn’t that bad. I got 18 coming back home for Christmas and I was cruising at 70.

Used to be able get 20-22 out of the Taco consistently, but now it is barely 18. Still better than my old F250, lucky to get 8-10 out of it.

You're now the second person I have heard to get 18 out of the Tundy, my other dirt bike bud up in Northern Idaho, says he can't much more than 13 out of it. Does like the build quality over his F150 work trucks.

I really should get a car if I want decent mileage, don't like sitting that low though.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
.... Same for the 4runner and LC 200, both of which have seen chassis improvements over the years. What would you want to see changed on those platforms and why? I'm more interested in seeing the engines updated; the frames and chassis are Toyota's strong points in my view.

Lets play a game, which truck do you choose?!

TRUCK A:
curb weight 4890 lbs
375 bhp
470 lb ft
(city/highway/combined) 17/23/20
Towing 10,700
10 spd auto
Payload 2,060 lbs
IIHS Top Safety Pick (I believe first ever truck to be one?)

TRUCK B:
curb weight 5640 lbs
381 bhp
401 lb ft
(city/highway/combined) 13/17/14
Towing 9,800
6 spd auto
Payload 1,560 lbs
IIHS - meh (some good, some acceptable, some marginal)

Answer Key:
Truck B: 2018 Toyota Tundra SuperCrew SR5 4x4
Truck A: 2017 Ford F150 XLT EB v6 4x4

Clutch

<---Pass
Lets play a game, which truck do you choose?!

TRUCK A:
curb weight 4890 lbs
375 bhp
470 lb ft
(city/highway/combined) 17/23/20
Towing 10,700
10 spd auto
Payload 2,060 lbs
IIHS Top Safety Pick (I believe first ever truck to be one?)

TRUCK B:
curb weight 5640 lbs
381 bhp
401 lb ft
(city/highway/combined) 13/17/14
Towing 9,800
6 spd auto
Payload 1,560 lbs
IIHS - meh (some good, some acceptable, some marginal)

Answer Key:
Truck B: 2018 Toyota Tundra SuperCrew SR5 4x4
Truck A: 2017 Ford F150 XLT EB v6 4x4

Which one will last longer?

phsycle

Adventurer
Agreed. Focus is elsewhere.

I think that’s been pretty apparent for a number of years. Good grief, just look at my new Tacoma with drum brakes and an engine that makes the truck go slower than the previous gen and gets the same MPG. Yes, it stops and goes just fine enough for me. But cmon Toyota. I’m praying the new Ranger kicks butt so it lights some fire under their feet.

sn_85

Observer
Another year and another no show from Toyota. Ford, GM, and Ram all had some sort of showing at the Detroit Auto Show and Toyota was silent. How long can Toyota continue to ride their antiquated platforms while they fall behind in pretty much every category? The Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner are all running long in the tooth. The argument that they're more reliable is running a bit thin at this point and while it may have had some merit for this current generation they can't keep using it while other manufacturers are updating all their platforms. And lets be honest, the only reason they're reliable is because some of the platforms are 10+ years old so they have had plenty of time to iron out any problems. Other manufacturers at this point are catching up in terms of quality and reliability as well and Toyota's newest truck platform, the Tacoma, hasn't exactly been the beacon of reliability either. IMO, Toyota needs to step up their game in interior quality, fuel economy, engine/drivetrain options, and infotainment. You can preach reliability all you want but that is not what is attractive to the new market of truck buyers and you won't make sales selling "reliability". Trucks are no longer seen as just work vehicles and haulers, for most people it's their daily driver, their luxury vehicle, and their weekend warrior. The other manufacturers seem to get what new truck buyers want.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think that's been pretty apparent for a number of years. Good grief, just look at my new Tacoma with drum brakes and an engine that makes the truck go slower than the previous gen and gets the same MPG. Yes, it stops and goes just fine enough for me. But cmon Toyota. I'm praying the new Ranger kicks butt so it lights some fire under their feet.

Toyota probably has the edge. But Ford has been doing pretty well. Lots go through a TOUGH life and hold up well.

Toyota seems like they just don't care about their truck line, while the cars, CUV, and SUV's get the attention. Look at the once homely Camry now. Not really a car person, but that thing looks amazing and getting 40+ mpg too!

Honestly don't know why the 3rd Gen Tacoma gets the sales numbers it does. Is it all the internet hype with reliably? Because the specs of the truck aren't all that great.

Ford has come around in recent years, the Ranger has peaked my interest, actually a lot, liking what I am seeing so far. Will it light a fire under Toyota ********? Doubtful, but they keep on giving us these weird concepts they are throwing R&D money at like the FT-4X and the FT-AC, almost like what Honda Motorsports is doing, keep on making odd niche machines, and not focusing on their bread and butter models that put them on the map in the first place.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Toyota's platforms (frames, chassis) have actually seen development over the years and are very well-built IMHO. The underlying platforms are fine; it's the engines that need some serious updates. Toyota (at least in North America) is still relying on naturally aspirated gasoline engines while other companies are making use of turbo gasoline and turbo diesel engines.

I challenge the premise of this post. Iirc, nothing under the sheet metal has changed sinc 07

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles