2019 Tundra

bkg

Explorer
Which one will last longer?

That’s a tough one to answer when you look at toyota’s Frame recall challenges that some folks are still dealing with.

Loyalty aside, Toyota really hasn’t been the king of reliability that some believe.

mrblah

Observer
That’s a tough one to answer when you look at toyota’s Frame recall challenges that some folks are still dealing with.

Loyalty aside, Toyota really hasn’t been the king of reliability that some believe.

ALL reliability studies say otherwise. So I'd love to see where you get the idea that Toyota isn't at the top of the pile concerning reliability...

kurtwp

Armchair Adventurer
I bought a 2016 Tundra because of the lack of electronics compared to the other manufacturers. I'll take a basic truck any day over all the electronics and gadgets that are now installed into trucks today. On that, I did get a Limited because of the spouse wanting the upgrades that came with the LImited. I would of settled for just the 4x4 SR5 model.

Kurt

phsycle

Adventurer
I bought a 2016 Tundra because of the lack of electronics compared to the other manufacturers. I'll take a basic truck any day over all the electronics and gadgets that are now installed into trucks today. On that, I did get a Limited because of the spouse wanting the upgrades that came with the LImited. I would of settled for just the 4x4 SR5 model.

Kurt

Have you sat inside of an F150 XL? Or a Ram Tradesman? Talk about bare bones. No comparison to an SR5, much less a Limited!!

phsycle

Adventurer
Honestly don't know why the 3rd Gen Tacoma gets the sales numbers it does. Is it all the internet hype with reliably? Because the specs of the truck aren't all that great...

For me, it was just the lack of options. I wasn’t about to get a Frontier, and Colorado/Canyon just didn’t do it for me. Nice trucks, I’m sure, and perhaps unjustified distain for the Colorado, as I had a friend with an S10 and relative with a Canyon that just gave them nothing but issues. I just don’t trust midsize GM’s. Full-size is a different story.

Resale is incredible, too. Just in case I decide to sell in a couple years.

kurtwp

Armchair Adventurer
Yes, I sat/drove in tradesmen did not like the real cheap feeling of the truck plus the variable cylinder technology. Plus their DC back seat was smaller than the Toyota DC. After studying various Ford forums on the net I determined Ford had quality issues JMO!!!!.

My previous vehicle was a 98 RAM 2500 which to me was built like a tank. Had very little issues with it other than age, mileage etc. It was a 5.9 gas.

Kurt

Clutch

<---Pass
That's a tough one to answer when you look at toyota's Frame recall challenges that some folks are still dealing with.

Loyalty aside, Toyota really hasn't been the king of reliability that some believe.

Do wonder if it is hype of their reliability that keeps people coming back. As it seems a lot of people don't keep them that long, they run them up to a 100K and trade them. How do you know if it is truly reliable if you don't run it up to 200-300K? I was made fun of in the 3rd Gen section of TW for having a nearly 20 year old truck with it approaching 400K miles. Frame hasn't rusted out since it spent most of its' life in AZ. Now in Idaho, getting a little surface rust here and there.

I keep them longer than most, but I have long laundry list of repairs to get them to that high mileage.

Guess you can keep anything on the road for a long time, if you're willing to keep on repairing it.

For me, it was just the lack of options. I wasn't about to get a Frontier, and Colorado/Canyon just didn't do it for me. Nice trucks, I'm sure, and perhaps unjustified distain for the Colorado, as I had a friend with an S10 and relative with a Canyon that just gave them nothing but issues. I just don't trust midsize GM's. Full-size is a different story.

Resale is incredible, too. Just in case I decide to sell in a couple years.

Lack of competition is probably why it has sold so well. Long time Toyota owner here, but I can't bring myself to like the the 3rd gen...main reason is that they package the ACLB V6 manny in a trim that I don't want to spend that much for. That and the looks, too machismo for me. The SR 4 pot will work for 90% of the stuff I do, but fear it will be dismal when loaded down and traveling. For 2018 they done away with the manny in the SR trim, and the price has gone up, if I am gonna to loose the manual trans what is out there for the same price? Can get a V6 Colorado for that, or a fullsize if you look around. Naturally aspirated V6 F150 Super Cab 6.5' bed which has damn near the same specs as a V6 Tacoma can be found around the $25K mark. The Tacoma is $7-10K more.

Resale is nuts on Tacomas, even being a Toyota owner it still shocks me. Funny, how in our society one thing is deemed the best and others are not. All based mostly on hearsay. Sure mine has almost 400K miles on it, but I also have done a lot of repairs to keep it going too.

Hoping that you can get a 4WD Ranger for under $30K, as I can't bring myself to spend more than that for a dumb little truck...don't even want to spend that. $25K is a much better number though people call you insane for not wanting to take a mortgage out on a vehicle these days.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
...Hoping that you can get a 4WD Ranger for under $30K, as I can't bring myself to spend more than that for a dumb little truck...don't even want to spend that. $25K is a much better number though people call you insane for not wanting to take a mortgage out on a vehicle these days.

I am really liking the looks of the Ranger. It even comes with those revolutionary new type of brakes in the back. Round plate looking things.
And proper tow hooks up front. Thank you for that, Ford.

Dalko43

Explorer
ALL reliability studies say otherwise. So I'd love to see where you get the idea that Toyota isn't at the top of the pile concerning reliability...

Toyota is still up near the top IMO, though I do think other domestic companies have started to close the gap in regards to that issue.

Kurt

You can get a stripped down F-150 that is comparable to the base Tundra's.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Another year and another no show from Toyota. Ford, GM, and Ram all had some sort of showing at the Detroit Auto Show and Toyota was silent. How long can Toyota continue to ride their antiquated platforms while they fall behind in pretty much every category? The Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner are all running long in the tooth. The argument that they're more reliable is running a bit thin at this point and while it may have had some merit for this current generation they can't keep using it while other manufacturers are updating all their platforms. And lets be honest, the only reason they're reliable is because some of the platforms are 10+ years old so they have had plenty of time to iron out any problems. Other manufacturers at this point are catching up in terms of quality and reliability as well and Toyota's newest truck platform, the Tacoma, hasn't exactly been the beacon of reliability either. IMO, Toyota needs to step up their game in interior quality, fuel economy, engine/drivetrain options, and infotainment. You can preach reliability all you want but that is not what is attractive to the new market of truck buyers and you won't make sales selling "reliability". Trucks are no longer seen as just work vehicles and haulers, for most people it's their daily driver, their luxury vehicle, and their weekend warrior. The other manufacturers seem to get what new truck buyers want.

Toyota is number 1 in the world. I’m sure they’re not worried that your feelings are hurt.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am really liking the looks of the Ranger. It even comes with those revolutionary new type of brakes in the back. Round plate looking things.
And proper tow hooks up front. Thank you for that, Ford.

Me too, it is toned down compared to the Tacoma...like the looks of the Colorado too. Recently did a rear brake job on mine when I did the rear wheel bearings and seals, kinda forgot what a pain in the *** doing shoes is...with pads it takes me longer to dig the floor jack and jack stands out of the garage than it does swapping in pads.

The assumed specs are looking good to me for the Ranger, now if the price point is good enough to keep me not having to buy a fullsize. Or an under powered Taco SR 4 banger...do believe the Tacoma SR is better gamble for out right longevity, the Ranger will perform the job at hand better. (at least in speculation)

sn_85

Observer
Toyota is number 1 in the world. I'm sure they're not worried that your feelings are hurt.

Who's talking about world wide sales? Those numbers are diluted and inflated by other vehicles they sell like sedans, mini-vans, etc. We are talking about their SUV and Truck division in the North American market, especially the vehicles that ExPo members would be interested in. Keep the argument relevant here. Look up sales numbers for the Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser. They're paltry and getting worse every year, especially when you look at other truck sales. The Tacoma and 4Runner are the only ones doing relatively well. How much longer can Toyota sit idly by while other auto makers are releasing fresh updated vehicles? I guess both you and Toyota need a slap in the face and wake up.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Who's talking about world wide sales? Those numbers are diluted and inflated by other vehicles they sell like sedans, mini-vans, etc. We are talking about their SUV and Truck division in the North American market, especially the vehicles that ExPo members would be interested in. Keep the argument relevant here. Look up sales numbers for the Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser. They're paltry and getting worse every year, especially when you look at other truck sales. The Tacoma and 4Runner are the only ones doing relatively well. How much longer can Toyota sit idly by while other auto makers are releasing fresh updated vehicles? I guess both you and Toyota need a slap in the face and wake up.

Well Toyota’s not worried. Not sure why you are?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles