2019 Tundra

phsycle

Adventurer
... Will Toyota skip the long rumored diesel (including the 5.0 cummins) and go hybrid? That could be an interesting option - instant torque, better fuel economy...

I would love a hybrid. Get the MPG up to 30MPG, hopefully. I could live with that. The problem I see is all the battery power needed to move a 6k lb vehicle. Where do you store all those heavy batteries? Surely, down low and all along the underside of the truck, but that's a lot of weight to be adding on...

rruff

Explorer
The whole diesel debacle with VW makes me nervous to own one.

Did you see that all the manufacturers are facing lawsuits now? Basically the same thing VW did. If you own one, you stand to make good money, but I have a feeling that feature diesels will be less desirable (poorer performance).

Clutch

<---Pass
I would love a hybrid. Get the MPG up to 30MPG, hopefully. I could live with that. The problem I see is all the battery power needed to move a 6k lb vehicle. Where do you store all those heavy batteries? Surely, down low and all along the underside of the truck, but that's a lot of weight to be adding on...

Toyota is working with Panasonic to reduce the weight and faster recharge time. Where to put them...since majority of trucks sold are either crew or double cab (I still call them extra cabs) I would put them mid ship under or behind the rear seat with and easy to get to access panel for when you need to replace them in 10 years.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Did you see that all the manufacturers are facing lawsuits now? Basically the same thing VW did. If you own one, you stand to make good money, but I have a feeling that feature diesels will be less desirable (poorer performance).

Was reading an article that the VW lawsuit was a warning shot over the bow for other manufactures. I would assume that they all cheat, it is just a matter of time...which the timing seems really bad as most of them have invested in diesel. I dunno, with all the lobbying power the petroleum and auto industry has, don't you think they would of known? The whole thing is rather fishy.

One of my clients had her TDi Jetta bought back, she initially wanted a Tacoma, but found a better deal on a F150. That and both her and her husband are tall and didn't fit well in the Tacoma.

rruff

Explorer
I don't put too much into Fuelly figures. There is no way to control any of the variables. City vs Hwy mileage, speed, terrain, temperature/climate, type of gas, driving habits, etc. can drastically affect the output. But it doesn't take much to do a comparative test. Take a Saturday and head to the Ford dealer, and go on an extended test drive on the freeway (>100 miles). Hopefully one that has little traffic and flat terrain. Keep the speed consistent. Then do the same with your truck.

Fuelly is good simply because they are looking at averages for hundreds of vehicles in most cases. Differences average out.

Your "2 test drive" will have a lot more chance of error. If the wind, temperature, traffic, or your mood is different between the 2 runs, it can make a substantial difference in mpg. I get substantial variations on the same trips with the same truck.

bkg

Explorer
Was reading an article that the VW lawsuit was a warning shot over the bow for other manufactures. I would assume that they all cheat, it is just a matter of time...which the timing seems really bad as most of them have invested in diesel. I dunno, with all the lobbying power the petroleum and auto industry has, don't you think they would of known? The whole thing is rather fishy.

One of my clients had her TDi Jetta bought back, she initially wanted a Tacoma, but found a better deal on a F150. That and both her and her husband are tall and didn't fit well in the Tacoma.

if everyone cheated, then one must ask the question... what good are the regulations? they are literally killing the diesel market... And certainly have made them more complex, less reliable and a helluva lot less efficient (so they burn more diesel)... just seems maybe someone jumped the shark a bit

rruff

Explorer
You stated later on that it was a MPG readout from the truck's computer, which is far from accurate. 30 mpg is not a realistic highway average for the Tundra; there really is no point in arguing that any further.

Who is arguing that it is?

rruff

Explorer
if everyone cheated, then one must ask the question... what good are the regulations? they are literally killing the diesel market... And certainly have made them more complex, less reliable and a helluva lot less efficient (so they burn more diesel)... just seems maybe someone jumped the shark a bit

You'd think that if the EPA test doesn't cover all important conditions, that would be the EPA's fault, right? Apparently they have a clause prohibiting exactly what the manufacturers did... which was basically program the ECU burn clean for EPA conditions, and favor power and efficiency elsewhere (and creating a lot more emissions).

bkg

Explorer
You'd think that if the EPA test doesn't cover all important conditions, that would be the EPA's fault, right? Apparently they have a clause prohibiting exactly what the manufacturers did... which was basically program the ECU burn clean for EPA conditions, and favor power and efficiency elsewhere (and creating a lot more emissions).

it's a conundrum for sure. I'd love to delete my powerstroke if for no other reason than reliability and economy. Burning less fuel should be a good thing, IMHO. But... that's part of the conundrum.

Clutch

<---Pass

They aren't all that much different, I can't see how they don't all cheat.

"What good are regulations?" hell man, I don't know...also believe that most things in life are BS. ;) :D

rruff

Explorer
Toyota is working with Panasonic to reduce the weight and faster recharge time. Where to put them...since majority of trucks sold are either crew or double cab (I still call them extra cabs) I would put them mid ship under or behind the rear seat with and easy to get to access panel for when you need to replace them in 10 years.

I have a crazy amount of empty space under the cab. But I suspect the shorter trucks have less because the tank would extend under there. But there would still be a lot. Plenty of space for batteries.

But the rumor is for hybrids, yes? Not full electric. So a 500lb pack should be plenty.

phsycle

Adventurer
Fuelly is good simply because they are looking at averages for hundreds of vehicles in most cases. Differences average out.

Your "2 test drive" will have a lot more chance of error. If the wind, temperature, traffic, or your mood is different between the 2 runs, it can make a substantial difference in mpg. I get substantial variations on the same trips with the same truck.

It has to cut out more variables compared to the very randomized input/output on Fuelly. At least, the 2 test runs will give you a good comparison/relative results. Years ago, I commuted 50-60 miles per day. Since the terrain stayed the same and I had records of hundreds of mpg data, it gave me a good idea of relative results between cars (I had a few cars come and go during that time). My old Tacoma got 21MPG. New Tacoma got 23MPG (although I don't commute anymore, I ran the same road a few times since I bought it). Old Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 could not get above 16MPG. I also took a trip to my old workplace in a friend's F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost. Gauge said 22.x MPG, going 70 to 75MPH. He's a conservative driver.
This is interesting. FCA diving in first to hybrid tech?

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...s-48-volt-mild-hybrid-system-for-fuel-economy

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a crazy amount of empty space under the cab. But I suspect the shorter trucks have less because the tank would extend under there. But there would still be a lot. Plenty of space for batteries.

But the rumor is for hybrids, yes? Not full electric. So a 500lb pack should be plenty.

These are in a Toyota Highlander, should have no problem fitting them in a truck. Imagine as tech advances they will get smaller and lighter.

highlander-hybrid-battery2.jpg

I envision it like the old Fords with the gas tank behind the seat, should be ok even in a regular cab.

1405x_-_event_2_-_gas_tank_located_behind_the_front_seat_of_an_older_model_ford_ii.jpg

bkg

Explorer
These are in a Toyota Highlander, should have no problem fitting them in a truck. Imagine as tech advances they will get smaller and lighter.

highlander-hybrid-battery2.jpg

MAkes one wonder if Toyota's removal of under seat and behind seat storage in the CrewMax was intended to fit that battery pack? Looks about the right size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke