2019 Tundra

phsycle

Adventurer
Anecdotal evidence on an internet forum means next to nothing. The new F-150's and GM Silverado's are just as well-made as the current Tundra's IMHO. Toyota has a solid reputation for reliability. But domestic vehicles, certainly trucks, have begun to rival Toyota within recent years.

If I had to pick a full-sized pickup, I'd have no reliability concerns for any of the 3 listed above. I don't really like the Tundra's subpar fuel economy and payload ratings, which might push me towards a Ford, but otherwise the Tundra is a solid vehicle in its own right.

Not to mention the better safety rating on the Ford. Toyota has a good reputation for reliability, but I have to think a lot of that stems from their passenger car line up. The Big 3, their bread/butter is the full-size. That's where their R&D goes. And to me, it shows.

30 would be ideal, but have very little desire to own a diesel with a DEF system.

Funny thing, my wife's SUV gets roughly the same mpg as my truck, and she only fills it up every 3 months. am a little envious of her 1.5 mile round trip commute. Though I did it to myself, but there is more money to be made working in the city.

Now, what about that hybrid system? I've seen some NY Taxi's pull 500k miles on Prius..es...es. 30MPG, hybrid? I wouldn't mind that.

Clutch

<---Pass
Now, what about that hybrid system? I've seen some NY Taxi's pull 500k miles on Prius..es...es. 30MPG, hybrid? I wouldn't mind that.

This has gotten me a little hope on the hybrid part. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/18/toy...ave-an-electric-or-hybrid-option-by-2025.html

Maybe if Toyota put a hybrid A-bat into production and it achieved 30+ HWY, I would take a chance on a Unibody. (not sure how well they would handle wash board roads after years of abuse, would it develop cracks in the body?

Funny thing most people hated how it looked, but with what Toyota has out there now (and their current concepts), it looks toned down in comparison.

http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/toyota_design/concept_cars/gallery_a_bat.html

2018-Toyota-A-Bat-featured.jpg

The A-Bat is basically a Ridgeline which would probably work for about 90% of the things I do...looked at them and do like it, but no low range, gas mpg is so-so (wasn't the whole point of going unibody to save on gas?), and they aren't exactly cheap for an AWD. You can get a basic 4WD Tacoma, Frontier, GM twins for several thousand less.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Well. Frame recall *may* be at the top of my list on that one. Cam bearings in the early 5.7’s, motor mounts on 05-06 Tacoma’s, horrible entune system, etc.

Look... Toyota of today isn’t the Toyota of yesteryears.

Frame recall is garbage. All manufacturers have rust issues. Go by a domestic forum and there are frames rusting through. Early engines may have had some issues. On the 3 forums I frequent I’ve never read of any. But they fixed it as it was a new motor Entune is not a reliability issue . Tundras are by far better than anything domestic. When I was younger I was a domestic only guy. I then became tired of always having my vehicle in the shop.

FYI the Toyota of today is the same Toyota of yester years.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Those who go to great lengths to copy & paste stats as some sort of "proof positive" that an F-150 is great must like fake news :)

I do tons of business travel and have been with National for years. So I get to play David Puddy and pick whatever I want. I often take an F-150 or whatever just to check it out. I have to say, I hate them with a passion.

Not saying I like Gen 2 Tundras all that much better... But I'd take my Gen 1 or even my former T100 all day long...

I can't say I've driven a RAM recently. I can tell you that the last Chrysler product I had was such a flaming POS that they will never get another chance with me.

I once had a Nissan Frontier for a week. OMG is that garbage!

I really think you have to be a Toyota-head to "get it" about the joy of Toy-dom...

Hell, I owned 3 Jeeps until happenstance brought me to a Toy. I'd never change. I just wish they'd start making the pick-up I want. Again.

D

Deleted member 9101

Most of my dirt bike buds that have them get around 13-15. One does say he gets 18 out of his going 80...not sure how that is possible.

Mine is a 2wd super crew with 3.15 gears. It sips fuel so long as you drive it like a sane adult. I haven't had it out on the hw yet, but that's coming this weekend.

As for 18 doing 80... nope...no way.

phsycle

Adventurer
Those who go to great lengths to copy & paste stats as some sort of "proof positive" that an F-150 is great must like fake news :)

I do tons of business travel and have been with National for years. So I get to play David Puddy and pick whatever I want. I often take an F-150 or whatever just to check it out. I have to say, I hate them with a passion.

Not saying I like Gen 2 Tundras all that much better... But I'd take my Gen 1 or even my former T100 all day long...

I can't say I've driven a RAM recently. I can tell you that the last Chrysler product I had was such a flaming POS that they will never get another chance with me.

I once had a Nissan Frontier for a week. OMG is that garbage!

I really think you have to be a Toyota-head to "get it" about the joy of Toy-dom...

Hell, I owned 3 Jeeps until happenstance brought me to a Toy. I'd never change. I just wish they'd start making the pick-up I want. Again.

That has to be one of the most biased “review” I’ve read yet. I like the part where you blasted those that gave positive reviews with stats to back it up, stamped it “fake news”, then went on an unsubstantiated rant, with an anecdotal story, to prove your point. Reminds me of someone.......

Look, I drive a new Tacoma. I’ve had multiple Toyota’s and love them. But I give credit where it’s due, (trying) not to be blinded by my own bias.

phsycle

Adventurer
Frame recall is garbage. All manufacturers have rust issues. Go by a domestic forum and there are frames rusting through. Early engines may have had some issues. On the 3 forums I frequent I’ve never read of any. But they fixed it as it was a new motor Entune is not a reliability issue . Tundras are by far better than anything domestic. When I was younger I was a domestic only guy. I then became tired of always having my vehicle in the shop.

FYI the Toyota of today is the same Toyota of yester years.

Fortunately, domestics aren’t the domestics of yesteryears. They’ve come a long way, I feel.

And that entune.....I’ve got it on two of my vehicles. I hate it. The most unintuitive program I’ve ever used. I am thinking of getting an adapter that just mirrors my phone. It is utter garbage. No, it’s not a direct reliability issue, but could become one when I start kicking it and throwing stuff at it.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Fortunately, domestics aren’t the domestics of yesteryears. They’ve come a long way, I feel.

And that entune.....I’ve got it on two of my vehicles. I hate it. The most unintuitive program I’ve ever used. I am thinking of getting an adapter that just mirrors my phone. It is utter garbage. No, it’s not a direct reliability issue, but could become one when I start kicking it and throwing stuff at it.

Fortunalty they’re not up here yet with Toyota. Entune doesn’t bother me. But then again my other truck is an 86 land cruiser. Go read about the issues with sync.

phsycle

Adventurer
Fortunalty they’re not up here yet with Toyota. Entune doesn’t bother me. But then again my other truck is an 86 land cruiser. Go read about the issues with sync.

The reason there are no issues posted about Entune is because nobody uses it. Ha ha. I tried to use it to find an address or simply make a call. It was like talking to my 90 year old grandma. After several tries, fed up, I did it myself. Sync at least has CarPlay.

Clutch

<---Pass
Tundra baby

:D
Mine is a 2wd super crew with 3.15 gears. It sips fuel so long as you drive it like a sane adult. I haven't had it out on the hw yet, but that's coming this weekend.

As for 18 doing 80... nope...no way.

Believe I could get an easy 20 mpg HWY out of a F150....grumpy middle aged man that got waaaaay too many speedy tickets when I was younger, take off and stop easy....gently merge on to the highway, rolling up to 2 mph below the posted speed limit, set the cruise, lift my coffee to my lips and sip...then watch the rest of the world zip past me like they are going to ******** their pants and need to get somewhere in an awful hurry...

18 at 80, yeah I don't see it either, maybe 65 and driving like I do.

sn_85

Observer
Well Toyota’s not worried. Not sure why you are?

Well I guess with loyal fanboys like yourself maybe they shouldn't be. Seems like anything Toyota puts out there will be some who buy it regardless. I never knew Toyota was beyond reproach and above all criticism. The mere mention of Toyota improving, innovating, and adding some excitement is considered being "whiny" according to you. My money goes to the brand that puts out the best product, not to some form of brand loyalty or an emblem.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
:D

Believe I could get an easy 20 mpg HWY out of a F150....grumpy middle aged man that got waaaaay too many speedy tickets when I was younger, take off and stop easy....gently merge on to the highway, rolling up to 2 mph below the posted speed limit, set the cruise, lift my coffee to my lips and sip...then watch the rest of the world zip past me like they are going to ******** their pants and need to get somewhere in an awful hurry...

18 at 80, yeah I don't see it either, maybe 65 and driving like I do.

Just bought a 2018 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and 10 speed auto. 20+ is absolutely possible and not too difficult to attain. I previously had a 2014 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the EcoBoost and 6 speed which would do 18-19 pretty easily. Yes, driving them like you stole them will absolutely kill your mileage, but it is absolutely possible to meet the mpg numbers on the window sticker.

That being said, I have high hopes for a third gen Tundra as I am a Toyota fan at heart, but felt that I got a lot better truck for my money with the Ford at this time. If Toyota catches up or exceeds Ford when the next truck drops, my decision will be.a whole lot harder next time!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior