2019 Tundra

Clutch

<---Pass
Tacomas have gotten stupid on resale. Theres no way a 4 year old with 100,000 miles is worth $3k less than a new one.

I know...good little trucks but they aren't good! I don't get it.

Fords little V6 is a great motor, but there are a few things that concern me as it gets the miles on it. Like water pump replacement, having to pull the engine, or the front end off the truck doesnt seem all that well designed to me.

I'm anxious to see the Ranger.

With all this talk of what is better and whatnot. From being a long time Toyota owner, the reliability thing is always in the back of my head, when I get to the urge to try another brand.

Anxious to see the Ranger too. Not straying to far from the global platform is good thing, since it has pretty much proven itself. The newish engine and trans is the wildcard though.

D

Deleted member 9101

You just keep making stuff up.

And no, I don't want to race you in your 2wd wee motor turbo with street tires. But I'll bet you $100,000 that my truck can get 30 mpg from Ruidoso to Roswell, with a 25 mph tailwind.

You don't have 100,000 to gamble. For the third time, I have done that exact drive in a lighter Tundra with far less rolling resistance and barely got 20 mpg. You didn't have a 25mph tail wind for the entire drive either.

Face it guy, nobody believes your claim.

D

Deleted member 9101

Tacomas have gotten stupid on resale. Theres no way a 4 year old with 100,000 miles is worth $3k less than a new one.

Fords little V6 is a great motor, but there are a few things that concern me as it gets the miles on it. Like water pump replacement, having to pull the engine, or the front end off the truck doesnt seem all that well designed to me.

I'm anxious to see the Ranger.

Unless the NA V6 is set up differently, I can't see it being that difficult. I have a couple of feet between my motor and radiator.

Clutch

<---Pass
$24k for a new 4wd is a killer deal!

IMO the NA V6 would be plenty of power. I might have screwed myself by looking only at only double cab 8ft bed Fords. There were no great deals on those. Oh well, we will appreciate the extra size.

Yeah it is, if you compare specs (like towing, payload, power) to a V6 Tacoma, they are real similar...and for $7-10K less. Hard not to consider it. Doubtful that the Ranger will come in at that price-point. Though since Ford sells a higher volume of trucks, their incentives are much better. Toyota rarely budges on price. And used prices are plain silly, no way am I paying high teens for a Tacoma with 100K miles on it.

Clutch

<---Pass
$24k for a new 4wd is a killer deal!

IMO the NA V6 would be plenty of power. I might have screwed myself by looking only at only double cab 8ft bed Fords. There were no great deals on those. Oh well, we will appreciate the extra size.

Yeah it is, if you compare specs (like towing, payload, power) to a V6 Tacoma, they are real similar...and for $7-10K less. Hard not to consider it. Doubtful that the Ranger will come in at that price-point. Though since Ford sells a higher volume of trucks, their incentives are much better. Toyota rarely budges on price. And used prices are plain silly, no way am I paying high teens for a Tacoma with 100K miles on it.

bkg

Explorer
Anyone ever tried to remove a front diff on a Tacoma would certainly not be too vocal on espousing the wonders of Toyota engineering... I’ll say that.

And I’ll still laughing at 30mpg in a Tundra. That is some good stuff.

Clutch

<---Pass
Anyone ever tried to remove a front diff on a Tacoma would certainly not be too vocal on espousing the wonders of Toyota engineering... I'll say that.

When I rebuilt the whole front end a couple years ago...didn't think it was "too terrible", but not having an inspection cover is kinda lame. Having to pull the whole damn thing apart to just have a look-see is BS.

bkg

Explorer
How the hell did you get the diff out? Have Tom lift it up to get that damned stud out of the cross member, but the bellhousing occupies the same space. Tomorrow, lifting the engine to get some room. Ugh

Dalko43

Explorer
Your personal experience is anecdotal. That's fine to state your personal experience and to rely on it for making purchases. Where you get delusional is where you claim your personal anecdotal experience describes everyone else's as well.

Ruff, you can't criticize someone else for making anecdotal claims when your own posts are just as anecdotal:

The Tundra has much better resale and lower cost of ownership even with the poor mpg. Which in reality is ~1-2 mpg less than comparable trucks.

Regarding your reliability comment... no. The big 3 have gotten less reliable due to the constant updating, complexity, and options. They win on being the fanciest and most up to date. But I can't imagine why any truck user would want more luxury or quiet and smooth ride, than I have in my base level Tundra. If someone really wants a luxury car that looks like a truck, then that's another story.

The Tundra has lower cost of ownership? How so?

It only gets 1-2 mpg less than a Ford ecoboost? According to the EPA, some of the other gasoline pickups get as much as 4-5 mpg better on the highway, never mind what the Ram ecodiesel gets:

http://www.fueleconomy.org/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38127&id=37653&id=38274&id=38273

The big 3 trucks have gotten more unreliable? By which metric or standard do you make that kind of subjective judgment?

You're making opinionated claims which you're not even bothering to back up with evidence. This is why I can't stand Toyota forums, and car forums in general. Because if someone even hints at liking another brand of truck or suggests a deficiency with Toyota's trucks, a whole bunch of myopic, kool-aid drinking fanboys throw a hissy-fit. For as much as I love Toyota 4x4's, I just can't stand the dogmatic loyalty displayed by some of their owners.

Clutch

<---Pass
How the hell did you get the diff out? Have Tom lift it up to get that damned stud out of the cross member, but the bellhousing occupies the same space. Tomorrow, lifting the engine to get some room. Ugh

Unbolt the trans from the crossmember and lift it with a tranny jack will give you a little more room. Extra set of hands works wonders too when you're trying to wiggle it out. It isn't "too terrible" but still terrible... ;)

The whole "not too terrible" saying is an old inside joke with a friend of mine...meaning it fricken sucks but I have been through worse... :D

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Anyone ever tried to remove a front diff on a Tacoma would certainly not be too vocal on espousing the wonders of Toyota engineering... I’ll say that.

And I’ll still laughing at 30mpg in a Tundra. That is some good stuff.

Stop being a troll dude

rruff

Explorer

I found the same when I was looking at used Tundras. Made no sense to pay $10k below new for something with ~100k miles.

I just ran the build on that truck you linked, and MSRP was ~$35k. Hell of a discount. The NA V6s must be very unpopular or something.

rruff

Explorer
Ruff, you can't criticize someone else for making anecdotal claims when your own posts are just as anecdotal

How on earth could I know those things anecdotally?

The Tundra's reliability, resale, and lower cost of ownership is based on Consumer Reports.

MPG is based on long term tests from online magazines and Fuelly. Real world, not EPA. A lot of manufacturers seem to successfully game the EPA tests, but I guess Toyota doesn't bother.

Clutch

<---Pass
I found the same when I was looking at used Tundras. Made no sense to pay $10k below new for something with ~100k miles.

I just ran the build on that truck you linked, and MSRP was ~$35k. Hell of a discount. The NA V6s must be very unpopular or something.

With the current horsepower/torque wars nobody wants them, but if you use it as the midsize target market recreational gear hauler, believe it would be fine. While the truck is a little heavier than the midsizes, the Super Cab 6.5' bed 4WD has payload of 1700 lbs, and towing of 7500. (if I am reading the spec chart right) Rear seat has about the same legroom as a double cab midsize.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles