2019 Tundra

bkg

Explorer
Ohhh, Gen 4 Tundra's. What are they like? Finally broken out of the teens in MPG or have a navi system that works? :sombrero: I have two friends who have the early 2nd Gen Tundra's. They never saw the need to "upgrade." It's the same truck with (like you said) new grill. I kind of feel like my Tacoma is the same scenario! Like an 05,but with a facelift and less fast. :elkgrin:

dammit. :p Gen 2's...

Clutch

<---Pass
and this is the part that entertains me the most... Toyota owners who can be objective being berated by Toyota owners who can't be objective. Never ceases to amaze me.

It is especially bad on TW, even being a long time Toyota owner can't nit pick about the things you don't like about the brand without someone taking it personally.

Need to take all the best things from each company and make one truck....and the Chevy Silvtundritanfifty might be the ticket....ugly as all hell as it may...looks like it has a little bit of everything in there. Get that killer GM engine, Ford 10 speed trans, Titan front fenders, F150/Tundra cab, Tundra bed sides....

chevrolet-silverado-1500_100637152_m.jpg

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
It is especially bad on TW, even being a long time Toyota owner can't nit pick about the things you don't like about the brand without someone taking it personally.

Need to take all the best things from each company and make one truck....and the Chevy Silvtundritanfifty might be the ticket....ugly as all hell as it may...looks like it has a little bit of everything in there. Get that killer GM engine, Ford 10 speed trans, Titan front fenders, F150/Tundra cab, Tundra bed sides....

chevrolet-silverado-1500_100637152_m.jpg

does it still have that weird offset steering wheel?

Clutch

<---Pass
does it still have that weird offset steering wheel?

Probably.

I dunno seems like the manufactures are in a contest of who can make the ugliest truck too see if people will still buy them. Front end of that thing looks like a Transformer to me, guess it is better than the giant cod piece grills that have been popular over the last couple few years.

Dalko43

Explorer
I really think you have to be a Toyota-head to "get it" about the joy of Toy-dom...

No, I think most people "get it" when it comes to Toyota, both owners and non-owners alike.

I think the distinction is some people "get it" when it comes to Toyota reliability but still can acknowledge faults with the brand and/or acknowledge advances made by other brands. Other people go beyond "getting it" by worshiping the Toyota emblem and have nothing but contempt for any vehicle that doesn't bear that sacred badge, which is indicative of a fan boy mentality.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Probably.

I dunno seems like the manufactures are in a contest of who can make the ugliest truck too see if people will still buy them. Front end of that thing looks like a Transformer to me, guess it is better than the giant cod piece grills that have been popular over the last couple few years.

looks like tundra front fender meets bastardized ford headlights... weird... Probably look fine in all black.

Clutch

<---Pass
looks like tundra front fender meets bastardized ford headlights... weird... Probably look fine in all black.

From the A-Pillar back it isn't too bad. Be hard pressed not to confuse it with a Tundra then.

Might be sharp in all Black. It does looks great, I will never own another black vehicle ever again...my old F250 was black for a couple years before we painted it red.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I agree on 25 being the magic number. I think a lot of people that don't need pickups can stomach 25 when they are used to getting 30 in their sedans. At 25mpg I could see it being my wifes next vehicle.

A Ram 1500 with the V6 will get those numbers and more all day long. At least the 2013 I owned did. I got 20 in the city and 27 Hwy most of the time.

D

Deleted member 9101

A Ram 1500 with the V6 will get those numbers and more all day long. At least the 2013 I owned did. I got 20 in the city and 27 Hwy most of the time.

20180119_120003.jpg

Orlando to West Palm, cruise set at 70mph. Not bad for a 4 door full size.

Clutch

<---Pass

rruff

Explorer
*chuckle* I dunno, around 20 hwy is usually the number I hear from friends and clients who have them.

None of the vehicles with comparable size and power to the Tundra do much better in MPG. Look on Fuelly or long term tests to get real numbers. The other V8s are ~1mpg better. The Ford turbos 2-3mpg better.

I always get over 18 mpg on trips that have mostly highway travel. But that is nothing but an anecdote.

rruff

Explorer

The ubiquitous tall square front really bugs me. The visibility over the hood sucks. Can't see what's in front of you. It's all done for style, like the high cab floor and seating position that doesn't do jack for ground clearance or visibility.

Wish Toyota's Gen2 had just made the Gen1 a little wider and longer instead of following fashion.

rruff

Explorer
"Those you trust..." millions of Ecoboost owners disagree. More importantly millions of people who's businesses depend on them disagree. Rarely do I see a Tundra on a job site and hardly do I ever see them as a company vehicle.

I have owned a Tundra and replaced it with an F150... IMHO the F150 is a better truck. Rides better, quieter, smaller blind spots, pulls a heavy trailer with far less effort, accelerates faster, smoother brakes, better interior quality, won't rust, goes quite a bit further on a gallon of gas... all for thousands less than a Tundra. In fact, mine cost less than a comparably equipped Tacoma.

Of course you'll see more F150s at a job site. There are way more of them sold period. But most of them won't be EB motors.

A F150 spec'd like my Tundra MSRPd for $6k more. Cost of ownership is lower for a Tundra mostly because of low depreciation and better reliability.

BTW, my Tundra cost less than a comparable Tacoma also.

rruff

Explorer
Anecdotal evidence on an internet forum means next to nothing. The new F-150's and GM Silverado's are just as well-made as the current Tundra's IMHO. Toyota has a solid reputation for reliability. But domestic vehicles, certainly trucks, have begun to rival Toyota within recent years.

Consumer reports 10 year survey on reliability.

Tundra: 5/5
Titan: 3/5
F150: 2/5
GM: 2/5
Dodge: 1/5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior