2019 Tundra

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I thought just Ford and Chevy had rabid fanatics....

Far from rabid. Whiny people irritate me. People always want what they can’t have. If Toyota was moving towards turbo v6 and the domestic was keeping v8s. Everyone would cry they couldn’t have a v8. It toyota had a boxed frame tundra and the domestic had c channel. Everyone would cry because they wanted a c channel.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I bought a 2014 lease return Tundra this past summer. I wanted a full size gas 1/2 truck with a 6' bed and a decent sized double cab. After way too much research (for me) there was no choice other than the Tundra. I couldn't care less about the newest fandangled electronics and stuff. I want my hard money going to a good reliable drive train on a tried and true and tested base.
Everyone that slams the Tundra always seems to use the mileage claims, or the lack of technology. Take any 1/2ton drop a couple thousands pounds of adventure gear on it, and the mileage is likely to be pretty similar. I bought a Tundra knowing I was going to keep it and drive it for at least the next 15 years. At the end of the day the choice was a no-brainer.

The whole Tundra diesel thing is getting beaten to death. IMO, if Toyota was going to go up against the 3 domestics with a larger diesels they would have done it years ago.
Mark my words, Toyota doesn't care about a diesel Tundra, 15 - 20 years from now we will be talking about the electric Tundra. That is where they are looking.

Clutch

<---Pass
Far from rabid. Whiny people irritate me. People always want what they can't have. If Toyota was moving towards turbo v6 and the domestic was keeping v8s. Everyone would cry they couldn't have a v8. It toyota had a boxed frame tundra and the domestic had c channel. Everyone would cry because they wanted a c channel.

Pffft...

I want the rear frame to be C-Channel, the mid section unibody, and the front to be boxed....kinda like the old Dodge vans. :p :D A combo of all three HAS to better, riiiiight!? [sarcasm]

unibody.jpg

bkg

Explorer
ALL reliability studies say otherwise. So I'd love to see where you get the idea that Toyota isn't at the top of the pile concerning reliability...

Well. Frame recall *may* be at the top of my list on that one. Cam bearings in the early 5.7’s, motor mounts on 05-06 Tacoma’s, horrible entune system, etc.

Look... Toyota of today isn’t the Toyota of yesteryears.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Frame debates always crack me up.

You'd think the trails are littered with twisted, mangled Toyota's that can't make it home...

All I ever see are broken Jeeps and Big 3. I've even seen vehicles in the Spring buried in snow that must not have made it home last Winter.

I do say it's time for a Gen-3 Tundy and if it looks nice, I'll buy.

Love Gen 1s. Never liked gen 2s much.

Clutch

<---Pass
I do say it's time for a Gen-3 Tundy and if it looks nice, I'll buy.

Love Gen 1s. Never liked gen 2s much.

Toyota has stated that they want the whole fleet to be electrified in one form or another. The hybrid systems have proven themselves, have a heavy duty version in their Hyno line. Maybe just maybe the 3rd gen Tundra will be a hybrid. Think the Tundra is fine well built truck, I just can't get over the mileage, since I will use it as a daily....can't stand the poorish mileage of my Tacoma, but that thing has been paid off for the last 16 years.

A solid 25 mpg HWY is the magic number I am looking for to make the leap into a new do-it-all vehicle, new Ranger "might" be it...we will see.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
so everybody defended the tundra for reliability and less electronics equating to a simpler truck. Then everybody jumped on c channel frames as being adequate. Fine, fair enough.

What about the rest?

TRUCK A:
curb weight 4890 lbs
375 bhp
470 lb ft
(city/highway/combined) 17/23/20
Towing 10,700
10 spd auto
Payload 2,060 lbs
IIHS Top Safety Pick (I believe first ever truck to be one?)

TRUCK B:
curb weight 5640 lbs
381 bhp
401 lb ft
(city/highway/combined) 13/17/14
Towing 9,800
6 spd auto
Payload 1,560 lbs
IIHS - meh (some good, some acceptable, some marginal)

Answer Key:
Truck B: 2018 Toyota Tundra SuperCrew SR5 4x4
Truck A: 2017 Ford F150 XLT EB v6 4x4

Clutch

<---Pass
What about the rest?

Answer Key:
Truck B: 2018 Toyota Tundra SuperCrew SR5 4x4
Truck A: 2017 Ford F150 XLT EB v6 4x4

Even being a Toyota fan boi, I would have to go with the F150.

Extra bonus answer: In all reality the naturally aspirated V6 F150 would be more than enough for what I need and use.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Toyota has stated that they want the whole fleet to be electrified in one form or another. The hybrid systems have proven themselves, have a heavy duty version in their Hyno line. Maybe just maybe the 3rd gen Tundra will be a hybrid. Think the Tundra is fine well built truck, I just can't get over the mileage, since I will use it as a daily....can't stand the poorish mileage of my Tacoma, but that thing has been paid off for the last 16 years.

A solid 25 mpg HWY is the magic number I am looking for to make the leap into a new do-it-all vehicle, new Ranger "might" be it...we will see.

I agree on 25 being the magic number. I think a lot of people that don't need pickups can stomach 25 when they are used to getting 30 in their sedans. At 25mpg I could see it being my wifes next vehicle.

Dalko43

Explorer
Frame debates always crack me up.

You'd think the trails are littered with twisted, mangled Toyota's that can't make it home...

All I ever see are broken Jeeps and Big 3. I've even seen vehicles in the Spring buried in snow that must not have made it home last Winter.

Anecdotal evidence on an internet forum means next to nothing. The new F-150's and GM Silverado's are just as well-made as the current Tundra's IMHO. Toyota has a solid reputation for reliability. But domestic vehicles, certainly trucks, have begun to rival Toyota within recent years.

If I had to pick a full-sized pickup, I'd have no reliability concerns for any of the 3 listed above. I don't really like the Tundra's subpar fuel economy and payload ratings, which might push me towards a Ford, but otherwise the Tundra is a solid vehicle in its own right.

Clutch

<---Pass
I agree on 25 being the magic number. I think a lot of people that don't need pickups can stomach 25 when they are used to getting 30 in their sedans. At 25mpg I could see it being my wifes next vehicle.

30 would be ideal, but have very little desire to own a diesel with a DEF system.

Funny thing, my wife's SUV gets roughly the same mpg as my truck, and she only fills it up every 3 months. am a little envious of her 1.5 mile round trip commute. Though I did it to myself, but there is more money to be made working in the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior