2019 Tundra

Clutch

<---Pass
Believe the new NA V6 3.3 in the F150 is rated for 24 HWY (whether to not it will achieve that remains unseen) would be nice if Ford offered that in the Ranger over the Turbo 4. Mainly for reliability/longevity/theoretically less to go wrong.

rruff

Explorer
So I gotta call just a bit of bs on your &#8220;I can get that with my Tundra&#8221; statement.

Did you read my post? I was calling BS on people's anecdotal MPG claims also. We can all get astounding MPG in particularly advantageous situations.

perterra

Adventurer
Agree with all that's been said here. I think we're all rooting for Toyota and want to support them, that's why we're in this section of the forum. Most of us have had many Toyotas before and that's why we're all interested in what a 3rd gen Tundra will bring. I myself have only owned Tacoma's and 4Runners. Toyota is honestly the company I consider first when it comes to purchasing a vehicle and I'll take the bad because the good typically outweighs the cons. That being said it's important to be fair and honest in critique. When the domestics are bringing in excitement to the truck segment and all you see is Toyota rehashing old designs it becomes a little disappointing. I consider the 2nd gen Tundra more of a gen 1.5. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now because the 3rd gen should and needs to bring in a new fresh design, better interior quality, new tech/infotainment, along with better engines/powertrains and fuel economy to even catch up to the Big 3. If the 3rd gen doesn't bring the "wow" factor and is nothing more than an evolutionary step then it's time to look in other directions. I'm hopeful but we'll have to wait and see.

I agree, the take away for many here is, Ford and Chevy have made some pretty significant increases in efficiency, reliability and comfort. If as toylandcruiser says, Toyota doesnt care, they are either myopic or fools. Because thats what Ford and GM thought when Toyota and Honda made their appearance.

I also agree that Toyota in general is a more reliable long lasting truck, but for many long lasting isnt all that important. In my case, once the work truck hits maximum depreciation, it's gone. Thought real hard that that the next truck I buy would be Toyota, after almost a year in this F-150 I'm not so sure anymore.

rruff

Explorer
I also agree that Toyota in general is a more reliable long lasting truck, but for many long lasting isnt all that important. In my case, once the work truck hits maximum depreciation, it's gone.

The Tundra has much better resale and lower cost of ownership even with the poor mpg. Which in reality is ~1-2 mpg less than comparable trucks.

Regarding your reliability comment... no. The big 3 have gotten less reliable due to the constant updating, complexity, and options. They win on being the fanciest and most up to date. But I can't imagine why any truck user would want more luxury or quiet and smooth ride, than I have in my base level Tundra. If someone really wants a luxury car that looks like a truck, then that's another story.

D

Deleted member 9101

All the way from Ruidoso to Roswell. 75 miles. 4,000 ft elevation drop and good tailwind.

I'm 100% calling BS. I have made that drive (I grew up in Alamo) in a Tundra and got nowhere near that.

D

Deleted member 9101

The Tundra has much better resale and lower cost of ownership even with the poor mpg. Which in reality is ~1-2 mpg less than comparable trucks.

Regarding your reliability comment... no. The big 3 have gotten less reliable due to the constant updating, complexity, and options. They win on being the fanciest and most up to date. But I can't imagine why any truck user would want more luxury or quiet and smooth ride, than I have in my base level Tundra. If someone really wants a luxury car that looks like a truck, then that's another story.

Actually, my Tundra cost more to own than any of the 4 F150's I have owned. It cost more to purchase, used more fuel, insurance was more, as well as parts and accessories costing more. My F150 gets 6 mpg more than my Tundra did on it's best day.

As for the ride... my F150 rides like a Cadillac when compared to either Tundra I owned. I drive 30,000+ miles a year, comfort and noise level matters to me.

rruff

Explorer
I'm 100% calling BS. I have made that drive (I grew up in Alamo) in a Tundra and got nowhere near that.

I'm calling BS on your BS, because it certainly happened! I don't know why anyone is surprised. A 25mph tailwind and a 4,000ft drop over 75 miles does wonders.

perterra

Adventurer

My experience has been different than yours obviously. Last F-150 I drove 125,000 miles and never put a wrench to it other than tires and oil changes. Got 66,000 on this one, havent touched anything but a new battery. Thats a pretty good cost of ownership. My Tacoma gets 18 mpg, this 150 is a steady 22-23 mpg. 20% better resale means little if you pay 20% more up front. The project I am on right now has required about 300 miles a day for the last 6 weeks, yes, I will take the most comfort any day of the week.

This thread is turning out like the Jonestown massacre, those who willingly drank the coolaid are trying to force it down the throat of those who didnt drink it.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm calling BS on your BS, because it certainly happened! I don't know why anyone is surprised. A 25mph tailwind and a 4,000ft drop over 75 miles does wonders.

The fish in this story keeps getting bigger and bigger... once again... I grew up in Alamo and have made that same exact drive in a Tundra. Either you are lying or your math was wrong.

It's nice though, you are attributing the mpg to a tail wind and gravity not the truck... thus negating your claim to be able to "easily" get the same fuel economy and a 2.7 ecoboost.

rruff

Explorer
In this day and age, why rely on anecdotes? Look up long term tests for real mpg, or Fuelly. That's something you can compare. I get ~4mpg more than Fuelly shows as average, but that's likely because of where I live and how I drive.

Same for reliability. If you look at anecdotes you'll find experiences all over the map. But on average the Tundra is much more reliable than the Big 3. It isn't even close.

Oh, and cost. Please spec out a F150 like my Tundra and tell me what it costs. I already did, the MSRP of the Ford was ~$6k more. I paid $31.2k for my Tundra OTD.

It's great that you like your Ford, but you are being a real ******** by suggesting that only koolaid drinkers would buy a Tundra. :Wow1:

perterra

Adventurer
In this day and age, why rely on anecdotes? Look up long term tests for real mpg, or Fuelly. That's something you can compare. I get ~4mpg more than Fuelly shows as average, but that's likely because of where I live and how I drive.

Same for reliability. If you look at anecdotes you'll find experiences all over the map. But on average the Tundra is much more reliable than the Big 3. It isn't even close.

Oh, and cost. Please spec out a F150 like my Tundra and tell me what it costs. I already did, the MSRP of the Ford was ~$6k more. I paid $31.2k for my Tundra OTD.

It's great that you like your Ford, but you are being a real ******** by suggesting that only koolaid drinkers would buy a Tundra. :Wow1:

No, I suggest that coolaid drinkers will brook no dissent from their opinion. Theres no anecdotal for me, only personal. I've had 2 F-150's, 2 Nissans and a Toyota. All have been pretty much perfect. The last F-150 is the most comfortable truck i have ever owned. I dont care what you buy, nor do I care what you like. Thats your choice, just dont try to tell me the last 2 Fords I have had have not been good trucks, because they have been.

rruff

Explorer
Either you are lying or your math was wrong.

Want to lay some money on it? Do you "believe" in physics? With a tailwind that strong, the air resistance is cut by more than half. That much of a elevation drop effectively negates rolling resistance. So the engine had to produce about 1/3rd the power it would take to drive on a flat road with no wind. Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't get higher mpg.

And my reason for making the claim was to show that anyone's anecdote about trip mpg is meaningless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz