2019 Tundra

perterra

Adventurer
Unless the NA V6 is set up differently, I can't see it being that difficult. I have a couple of feet between my motor and radiator.

The water pump is behind the timing chain, from the dealer it's a $2200 job. I dont have a couple feet.

bkg

Explorer
Sounds like the timing belt on a Tundra....lol.

I think all Toyota truck engines have this configuration. It’s honestly great packaging, but a pita to work on.

Kind of like the starter in the valley. Awesome packaging, expensive to repair if the starter goes bad.

bkg

Explorer
Unbolt the trans from the crossmember and lift it with a tranny jack will give you a little more room. Extra set of hands works wonders too when you're trying to wiggle it out. It isn't "too terrible" but still terrible... ;)

The whole "not too terrible" saying is an old inside joke with a friend of mine...meaning it fricken sucks but I have been through worse... :D

Ha. We use that phrase here for different reasons. “I’m glad I don’t have to do it ever again. I’m busy the weekend you are doing it to your truck.”

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha. We use that phrase here for different reasons. &#8220;I'm glad I don't have to do it ever again. I'm busy the weekend you are doing it to your truck.&#8221;

Ha Ha! After that rebuild...I also did the front coilovers, ball joints, new bushings in the A-arms, rear driveshaft and rebuilt the rear diff. I now take my truck in for someone else to work on.

So fricken over wrenching on vehicles. Really need a new one, but gotta wait to see what happens to the wife's job in two years.

I think all Toyota truck engines have this configuration. It's honestly great packaging, but a pita to work on.

Kind of like the starter in the valley. Awesome packaging, expensive to repair if the starter goes bad.

Was just thinking about the starter in the valley on the 4.7 engines....why mechanics hate engineers...

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
There is no way a tundra can get 30mpg. It's just empirically wrong.
Only truck, right now on the market that can get 30mpg is Colorado diesel. There has never been anything likes this in the US market.

Btw, Ford is also going to put a new 3.0 diesel. Very soon. And the mpg numbers may be in high twenties. Which is great.

I think it's important to see the effort the Ford is putting. They try to innovate and at the time bring the price down.
In 6 months one will be able to go to a ford dealership and buy a truck with a Diesel engine and factory locker, a perfect rig for overland.
I doubt that you can do that with tundra. Their chief engineer said, publicly, that no one actually needs a factory locker. Utter stupidity I shall say.

Ford deserves credit. Regardless how much you like your tundra.
That's what being honest and objective means.

Toyota fans remind me the supporters of Bernie Sanders. No matter how much you tell them communism is not what it appears like they still keep telling it's never been tried yet.

rruff

Explorer
bkg was responding to a guy who claims he can get 30 mpg on his Tundra...bkg is not the troll in that debate.

I clearly stated the conditions under which I got 30 mpg (-1% grade and 25 mph tailwind over 75 miles) and it is 100% legit. ANY truck would get 30 mpg in those conditions. I posted it as a comeback to someone's Ford 2.7l trip claim, and anyone's anecdotal claims. Ya, you can get outstanding MPG on a trip if everything is just right.

Is this too subtle for the internet?

D

Deleted member 9101

I clearly stated the conditions under which I got 30 mpg (-1% grade and 25 mph tailwind over 75 miles) and it is 100% legit. ANY truck would get 30 mpg in those conditions. I posted it as a comeback to someone's Ford 2.7l trip claim, and anyone's anecdotal claims. Ya, you can get outstanding MPG on a trip if everything is just right.

Is this too subtle for the internet?

********...my truck get a the same fuel economy every time it leaves the house. Next month when I hit the HW again, I'll post the fuel mileage. It will be with in a tenth or two of that number. It's really simple, I purchased a fuel efficient truck and I set my cruise a point (70mph)where my turbos are not producing boost.

As for you, I have driven that exact route, in a Tundra ... You did not get 30 mpg. Under no circumstances did you get 30 mpg.. either you are flat out lying, bad at math, or your odometer is off.

Last edited by a moderator:

rruff

Explorer
As for you, I have driven that exact route, in a Tundra ... You did not get 30 mpg. Under no circumstances did you get 30 mpg.. either you are flat out lying, bad at math, or your odometer is off.

I think you need to take it down a peg. I'm not bad at math and my odometer isn't off. You've called me a liar several times regarding this, and you are unwilling to put your money where your mouth is.

It's simple physics, but you don't understand that, so there is no way to convince you.

D

Deleted member 9101

I think you need to take it down a peg. I'm not bad at math and my odometer isn't off. You've called me a liar several times regarding this, and you are unwilling to put your money where your mouth is.

It's simple physics, but you don't understand that, so there is no way to convince you.

I have driven the same route many times in a Tundra that under any cercumstances would get better fuel economy than your truck. Even adding your "25mph tail wind" would not add 10mpg. I told my grandpa about your claim, he's lived out there since the late 1940's. He got a good laugh at your expense.

That's ok though..I still gained 6mpg by switching trucks. I did nothing spectecular and no mystery "25 mph tail wind."

As for physics, I use it daily... nice try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke