2019 Tundra

perterra

Adventurer
This has gotten stupid, let me go on record, Fords are horrible, they have little bitty motors, that get horrendous gas mileage and the current models are less reliable than they have ever been in the history of ford. They are too big, too comfortable and too quite (real men dont need that). While Toyota is absolutely perfect, no room for improvement, it is as close to perfect as God has ever produced.

I'm done

D

Deleted member 9101

This has gotten stupid, let me go on record, Fords are horrible, they have little bitty motors, that get horrendous gas mileage and the current models are less reliable than they have ever been in the history of ford. They are too big, too comfortable and too quite (real men dont need that). While Toyota is absolutely perfect, no room for improvement, it is as close to perfect as God has ever produced.

I'm done

<sips coolaid> Can't argue with that....I'm sated.

Clutch

<---Pass
rruff, was that 30 mpg on the truck's computer or scan gauge? or did you hand calculate at the pump at the bottom of the hill?

I have been on that road too, I can kinda see it if it was coasting in neutral.

What is the mileage coming back up?

Yes it has gotten stupid, but the last Fords we owned were trucks from the 70's and 80's. You would be hard pressed to get 100K out of them, they were pretty much done at that point. had 3 engines in our '76 F250 before 100K...though we did work the crap out of that truck, it had , ladder rack, bedside tool boxes and pulled a Bobcat skid-steer. That particular truck's frame rusted in half. Through its' life it had two beds, floor board and body mount rust repair, and 3 paint jobs. I got rid of it in 1991, which at that point it was only 15 years old.

What is crazy is that the current F150 would put that truck to shame, in towing, payload, power and efficiency.

I was the first to stray from domestics in my family to Toyotas...and got razzed to no end. Fairly loyal to Toyota, however all of the new trucks seem pretty good anymore...compared to the barbaric trucks of the 70's.

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
rruff, was that 30 mpg on the truck's computer or scan gauge? or did you hand calculate at the pump at the bottom of the hill?

I have been on that road too, I can kinda see it if it was coasting in neutral.

What is the mileage coming back up?

Yes it has gotten stupid, but the last Fords we owned were trucks from the 70's and 80's. You would be hard pressed to get 100K out of them, they were pretty much done at that point. had 3 engines in our '76 F250 before 100K...though we did work the crap out of that truck, it had , ladder rack, bedside tool boxes and pulled a Bobcat skid-steer. That particular truck's frame rusted in half. Through its' life it had two beds, floor board and body mount rust repair, and 3 paint jobs. I got rid of it in 1991, which at that point it was only 15 years old.

What is crazy is that the current F150 would put that truck to shame, in towing, payload, power and efficiency.

I was the first to stray from domestics in my family to Toyotas...and got razzed to no end. Fairly loyal to Toyota, however all of the new trucks seem pretty good anymore...compared to the barbaric trucks of the 70's.

Well from my understanding of some posts above, the newer ones are less reliable than what you had in the 70's and 80's.

rruff

Explorer

I have been on that road too, I can kinda see it if it was coasting in neutral. What is the mileage coming back up?

That's what the computer gave me. I don't recall what it averaged out to including the return trip. Not good, probably ~14. Uphill into the headwind really sucks the gas. But on the downhill trip the power needed calculates to about 1/3 what it would take to travel on the flat with no wind.

The new Fords are fine. I couldn't tell much difference between them and the Tundra. They are all smooth, quiet, have loads of power, and handle like a big tall vehicle with soft suspension (not great). I know the Tundra gets slammed for being deficient in some metrosexual features, but all the new trucks are so luxurious and comfortable compared to how they used to be.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's what the computer gave me. I don't recall what it averaged out to including the return trip. Not good, probably ~14. Uphill into the headwind really sucks the gas. But on the downhill trip the power needed calculates to about 1/3 what it would take to travel on the flat with no wind.

I remember renting a Subaru Outback awhile back...got into a contest of see how much mpg we could get...got it up to 34 coasting down Mt Rainier according to the cars computer. Averaged 26 over the whole 2 week trip.

The new Fords are fine. I couldn't tell much difference between them and the Tundra. They are all smooth, quiet, have loads of power, and handle like a big tall vehicle with soft suspension (not great). I know the Tundra gets slammed for being deficient in some metrosexual features, but all the new trucks are so luxurious and comfortable compared to how they used to be.

They are all good, can't really go wrong with any of them I don't think. Over the last couple years I have test driven all of them but the Titan. Amazing what comes standard on the base models, all what used to options in years past.

Wanted to give a Ram EcoDiesel a shot, thought a RCLB that achieved 30 mpg HWY with a high rise topper or coupled with the QuickUp Camper if ever came to market, would be an awfully nice stealth camper. Unsure how the emissions equipment would fair over long term ownership though.

rruff

Explorer
Wanted to give a Ram EcoDiesel a shot, thought a RCLB that achieved 30 mpg HWY with a high rise topper or coupled with the QuickUp Camper if ever came to market, would be an awfully nice stealth camper. Unsure how the emissions equipment would fair over long term ownership though.

I'd only buy a diesel if I can get a good delete kit for it, since lots of them have unsolvable problems when the mileage gets up. I like to buy stuff that will last. The Ecodiesel averages ~23mpg IRL, and with emissions delete should be even better. It's just dicey though, there could be a national crackdown on emissions. You have to also consider paying more upfront for the diesel engine and more for fuel.

The 5.0 CTD in the Titan doesn't even good mpg. Seems pretty useless.

Just did some more looking on Fuelly, and noticed the Ford 3.5L NA doesn't get any better mpg than the 5.0L or the 3.5L turbo, all about 16. Makes sense why it isn't popular. The 2.7L is ~18.

The Colorado with the V6 does a little over 19, and over 23 with the diesel. Will be interesting to see what the 2.3L turbo in the Ranger does.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd only buy a diesel if I can get a good delete kit for it, since lots of them have unsolvable problems when the mileage gets up. I like to buy stuff that will last. The Ecodiesel averages ~23mpg IRL, and with emissions delete should be even better. It's just dicey though, there could be a national crackdown on emissions. You have to also consider paying more upfront for the diesel engine and more for fuel.

The 5.0 CTD in the Titan doesn't even good mpg. Seems pretty useless.

Just did some more looking on Fuelly, and noticed the Ford 3.5L NA doesn't get any better mpg than the 5.0L or the 3.5L turbo, all about 16. Makes sense why it isn't popular. The 2.7L is ~18.

The Colorado with the V6 does a little over 19, and over 23 with the diesel. Will be interesting to see what the 2.3L turbo in the Ranger does.

The whole diesel debacle with VW makes me nervous to own one.

Granted it is a 2WD base model and mostly flat ground, this guy was achieving 40mpg+. http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/50475/

The Titan doesn't make sense to me, it is trying to fill a niche that doesn't need to be filled. Guess the same could be said about the midsizes too, don't offer any real advantage over a 1/2 ton, other than being slightly smaller.

bkg

Explorer
Dunno, clutch, I think the XD may well be onto something.

How many folks overload their 1/2? I’d suggest anyone with a camper does - the 1/2 tons just don’t provide the payload for a 1500# camper, 4 people and supplies. The area I worry about is the legal aftermath in a wreck...

And often those same folk will be the ones to say “I don’t need/want a 3/4 ton.” For a DD, most of those folks ar probably right.

So enter the “new” heavy half and it can legitimately fill a niche. People seemed to like the 1500hd when Chevy made them for a few years.

The only reasons I went with the f350 over the f250 is payload. Will I ever need it? Likely not, but if we were to get a slide-in, it gives me wiggle room.

Did nissan execute correctly? Remains to be seen. I’d say 80% of the xd’s i see have the diesel. They have some great options and design items. Not a fan of the front clip.

perterra

Adventurer
The baseline F-150 is way under sprung, my Tacoma handles 1500 lbs much better than the F-150. But after 10 hours behind the wheel, I feel better climbing out of the F-150 than the Tacoma.

Torn on the Titan, though I see a bunch every day now.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
OP, here. How about back to the original topic?

Don't know how valid this is?:
https://2019trucks.com/2019-toyota-tundra/

I find it totally amazing that I start a thread looking forward to possible advancements, criticize the Gen 2 and then get accused repeatedly of blind loyalty :)

I also find it amazing that Ford heads seek out a Toyota discussion to boast about how great their trucks are. You bought them, you like them, bully for you! You wouldn't convince me to switch in 2 million years. I've checked them out and continue to do so every year or so. PASS!

I guess my driving and truck needs are quite a bit different than others, but are people really hung up about mileage so much? Apparently so....

phsycle

Adventurer
OP, here. How about back to the original topic?

Don't know how valid this is?:
https://2019trucks.com/2019-toyota-tundra/

Dude, have any rumors on Toyota vehicles ever panned out? Toyota is good about keeping a tight lid on things. That photo looks like a PS hackjob.

...I find it totally amazing that I start a thread looking forward to possible advancements, criticize the Gen 2 and then get accused repeatedly of blind loyalty :)

I also find it amazing that Ford heads seek out a Toyota discussion to boast about how great their trucks are. You bought them, you like them, bully for you! You wouldn't convince me to switch in 2 million years. I've checked them out and continue to do so every year or so. PASS!

I guess my driving and truck needs are quite a bit different than others, but are people really hung up about mileage so much? Apparently so....

That's hilarious!
I don't think any poster here is a Ford head. But I do think there are a good number of TRUCK enthusiasts here. Ones who appreciate what all auto makers are doing. Anything wrong with that?

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
The baseline F-150 is way under sprung, my Tacoma handles 1500 lbs much better than the F-150. But after 10 hours behind the wheel, I feel better climbing out of the F-150 than the Tacoma..

I don't agree with that. My Tacoma with a full load like that (especially talking 500lb over payload) handles way worse than any fullsize truck I've driven, including the new F150. And definitely more comfortable. I can get into parking spots easier, though! I don't carry that much weight (ever), so Taco still does what I need it to do. But when I was hauling some mulch last spring, I was bottoming out like crazy. And that was probably what, 700lbs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles