2019 Tundra

rruff

Explorer
So, now, I'm looking at 3/4 and 1 ton trucks (gassers) and I have big concerns about reliability and resale. Not to mention the astronomical costs, even for fairly basic trim levels. Trucks have become fashion accessories for many, driving up the prices for people who actually “need” a truck.

Just a note on the domestics, I noticed when I was looking around that some large volume dealers get pretty huge kickbacks and incentives, so you can get big discounts on leftovers, like a $45k truck for $30k. Of course it needs to be on the lot and not the most popular equipment. For that big of a purchase I'd fly to pick it up if it was a good enough deal.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Just a note on the domestics, I noticed when I was looking around that some large volume dealers get pretty huge kickbacks and incentives, so you can get big discounts on leftovers, like a $45k truck for $30k. Of course it needs to be on the lot and not the most popular equipment. For that big of a purchase I'd fly to pick it up if it was a good enough deal.

I have been looking Nationwide on a number of car search websites and I have not seen any deals like you mention, even on 2017 models. I guess I need to keep looking as I too would fly somewhere to snag a deal like that.

Thanks

rruff

Explorer
I have been looking Nationwide on a number of car search websites and I have not seen any deals like you mention, even on 2017 models. I guess I need to keep looking as I too would fly somewhere to snag a deal like that.

Have you contacted dealers directly and negotiated? It's also possible they only play that game with the 1/2 tons.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Have you contacted dealers directly and negotiated? It's also possible they only play that game with the 1/2 tons.

I have. For example, F150 pricing is all over the map and there are great deals to be had. But my guess is there are far fewer F250 and F350's sold, especially with gas engines so the deals aren't as aggressive. Ram is dealing more aggressively on their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but $ for $, I think you get more in the Fords. That, plus my mechanic friends, several of whom own repair shops, have said they see far fewer Fords coming through their shops for non-routine maintenance than Dodge or Chevy.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks Clutch. I have looked at that site. Great deals for sure but I’m not looking at Dodge at this point.

You're welcome.

I hear ya, I am not crazy about Dodges either...but they are cheap. Imagine there will be some great deals on the old stock when the 19's hit the dealer floors.

At the end of the day they are just trucks and it is only money. All that matters are the experiences and memories.

Last edited:

kmacafee

Adventurer
You're welcome.

I hear ya, I am not crazy about Dodges either...but they are cheap. Imagine there will be some great deals on the old stock when the 19's hit the dealer floors.

At the end of the day they are just trucks and it is only money. All that matters are the experiences and memories.

True. But I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and those experiences and memories are far less run if you're always worried about your rig getting you home.

Clutch

<---Pass
True. But I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and those experiences and memories are far less run if you're always worried about your rig getting you home.

Yeah, I don't trust the Dodge either, but going to be hard to get what you are looking for, and the money you want to spend from Toyota. I am in the same predicament...don't really want to pay Toyota prices anymore even being a long time loyal owner...and for less of truck at that too.

I can get a stripped down F250 XL for the price of a Tacoma, heck sometimes even a little cheaper.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Yeah, I don't trust the Dodge either, but going to be hard to get what you are looking for, and the money you want to spend from Toyota. I am in the same predicament...don't really want to pay Toyota prices anymore even being a long time loyal owner...and for less of truck at that too.

I can get a stripped down F250 XL for the price of a Tacoma, heck sometimes even a little cheaper.

Agree. Ive moved on from Toyota -- I cant get what I want in a Tundra and payload will always be an issue. Im looking at F350's in XL or XLT levels. its always a trade off.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agree. Ive moved on from Toyota -- I cant get what I want in a Tundra and payload will always be an issue. Im looking at F350's in XL or XLT levels. its always a trade off.

Yep. Ford moves so many F-Series trucks, they can do pretty good discounts.

Crazy to think that a base model 4WD Tacoma is pushing $30K now, heck I can get a RCLB F250 for that. Couple grand more puts me into a Super Cab. Won't even notice a FWC on the back either.

Last edited:

Conundrum

Observer
Here’s my anecdotal thoughts. Had a ‘13 F150 SCLB Ecoboost. Never did anything wrong. Suspension was lacking for towing a bumper pull trailer so I added air bags which helped greatly. The front end felt soft and too Lincoln like so I added coil over Bilsteins. Sort of liked the ride but never in love with it. Averaged 15-16 mpg empty city/hwy. 10-12 when towing. 12-13 doing 80 empty. Before that was a ‘00 F350 DCLB SRW 7.3 but didn’t need anything that big again. When I bought the F150 over a Tundra it was because on paper it was a better pickup.

Wanted a new truck and have worked my tail off to not have to make cost my primary concern. This is the first brand new vehicle I’ve bought. Drove the Big 3s and a Tundra. Ended up with a ‘19 Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD. I liked its “outdated” features and ride more than the others. Cost was within a few thousand either way with the Big 3 (the Dodge was much lower but wasn’t really interested before the test drive and certainly not after).

I’ve owned three Dodges, three Chevy/GMCs, six Fords, and now I’m on my sixth Toyota ranginging from 1972-2019 in model years. Toyota is the only brand I’ve owned longer than five years and put more than 100,000 miles on a single vehicle. Maybe I’m a fanboy. Maybe I just like how Toyota builds trucks and SUVs. If I need off-road suspension and lockers, I’ll hop in my 80. If I want that old rustic feel, I’ll hop in my 40. If I want creature comforts, I think I’m going to like the leather seats and Entune system that seems super simple to use. I’m not stoked about the mpg’s I’m going to get. But really most of the people worrying about a few mpg’s difference in full size trucks should evaluate what they’re doing in their car 90% of the time and realize a sedan getting 40 mpg and a $4,000 early 90s 1/2 ton Chevy combo would do what they need and be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run than a newer full size.

Just because I like my new truck doesn’t mean someone shouldn’t like what they drive. Just because they like what they drive shouldn’t mean that Toyota isn’t keeping up. They’re just making trucks that people who want that truck will buy.

PS-a hybrid Tundra might be pretty sweet and maybe mine will be long in the tooth when one of the manufacturers figures out how to do that well.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Ford makes a good 1/2 ton, and a good 3/4 ton for that matter. But I think the whole 'best selling truck = best truck overall' is a stupid and petty logic. Ford has a good economy of scale going, that and I do think they cut some corners with regards to their 1/2 ton's (their high payload variants still use the same axles and brakes as the base payload variants). But there is no denying it: the F-150 is a good truck, also the one with the most recent tech.

But I still think Toyota goes above and beyond with the build quality and durability testing. So I'm sure a 3.5l ecoboost will be nice to drive off the showroom floor and I'm sure that it will blow the doors off most other 1/2 tons (if that's really important to a truck owner). But when these trucks are 10 years old, I'll take the out-of-warranty Tundra before I take an out-of-warranty F-150. I still can't ditch the perception that Ford builds their trucks for a price point rather than building them for long term survival (perhaps excepting the 3/4 and 1 ton segments).

bkg

Explorer
Owning a ford and a bunch of Toyota’s... the fit and finish on the Ford is better... and ford hasn’t had to recall frames yet.. but I’d also argue that no mfg builds their vehicle to average 500k miles... they don’t need to.

Dalko43

Explorer
Owning a ford and a bunch of Toyota’s... the fit and finish on the Ford is better... and ford hasn’t had to recall frames yet.. but I’d also argue that no mfg builds their vehicle to average 500k miles... they don’t need to.

No OEM is without fault. But the frame recall is a thing of the past. Toyota's trucks and SUV's haven't had any major issues since then (some Tundra owners claim the 5.7l leaks oil from the factory, but there is no indication that it is common or catastrophic).

I agree that no manufacturer deliberately builds their vehicles (at least their non-commercial ones) for the 500k mile mark.....but if I were to own a vehicle for that long, I'd take the Tundra hands down over the F-150. More to the point, there are examples of recent Toyota pickup's lasting that long (even longer) with only basic maintenance. As good as the domestic 1/2 tons have gotten in recent years, I really do think Toyota goes the extra mile in terms of long term durability. I also think that once you account for some of the efficiency aids (taller gearing, front air dams) on the domestic trucks, the Tundra's mpg's aren't all that bad by comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles