2019 Tundra

DividedSky

Do wonder if it is hype of their reliability that keeps people coming back. As it seems a lot of people don't keep them that long, they run them up to a 100K and trade them. How do you know if it is truly reliable if you don't run it up to 200-300K? I was made fun of in the 3rd Gen section of TW for having a nearly 20 year old truck with it approaching 400K miles. Frame hasn't rusted out since it spent most of its' life in AZ. Now in Idaho, getting a little surface rust here and there.

I'm in an '04 Tundra w/ 210k miles on it. In the past 14 yrs, the only "repairs" I've had to do are an alternator and an O2 sesnor. Total of about $1400. So that's about $100/yr. My buddies in their big3 trucks are spending almost $1400/year!

I'm in the market for a new '18, but only bc I want something new and shiny.

bkg

Explorer
I'm in an '04 Tundra w/ 210k miles on it. In the past 14 yrs, the only "repairs" I've had to do are an alternator and an O2 sesnor. Total of about $1400. So that's about $100/yr. My buddies in their big3 trucks are spending almost $1400/year!

$1400/year? On what? And does that exclude consumables?

phsycle

Adventurer
Of course you'll see more F150s at a job site. There are way more of them sold period. But most of them won't be EB motors.

A F150 spec'd like my Tundra MSRPd for $6k more. Cost of ownership is lower for a Tundra mostly because of low depreciation and better reliability.

BTW, my Tundra cost less than a comparable Tacoma also.

Couple of things: I believe most F150 sales are Ecoboost equipped trucks. (2.7 and 3.5). 60%, from what I'm finding.
The MSRP on Ford or on any domestic seems like it's higher, but the actual sales price is on-par or perhaps slightly below Toyota. Cost of ownership, you are absolutely right on depreciation. Reliability, perhaps there, too. Though Ford does make up for it with MPG, and better performance (in my opinion).
It's amazing how much they get out of the Tacoma's. Midsize truck that has less power, less comfortable, less payload, costs as much or more. Yikes. Hurry up, Ranger.

Clutch

<---Pass
The ubiquitous tall square front really bugs me. The visibility over the hood sucks. Can't see what's in front of you. It's all done for style, like the high cab floor and seating position that doesn't do jack for ground clearance or visibility.

Wish Toyota's Gen2 had just made the Gen1 a little wider and longer instead of following fashion.

I liked the size of the 1st Gen Tundra, seemed about perfect. While the 3rd Gen Tacoma is roughly the same size, it feels very bulky to me while driving...the bulbous hood is the first thing I noticed.

Wish Toyota didn't super size their trucks and worked on efficiency instead. Believe the added girth has way we haven't seen much gain in fuel economy.

I keep on talking about the Ranger, at least by looking at it on paper (well computer screens) It appears to be more like the 1st Gen Tundra size-wise and subdued looks. Now only if Ford got the efficiency right.

My Tacoma didn't start nickel and diming me until 250K (which is awesome) Now it is costing me $1500-2000/year in repairs. Still cheaper than a new vehicle, however getting real tired of fixing it. I used to fix everything myself, but now I take it in, because I am so sick of wrenching on it...why the repair costs have gone up. Last two years it was the fuel pump, clutch, driveshaft and 3rd member rebuild. The rack is getting some play in it, and believe the rear main seal is starting to go...looking at 1200-1300 bucks right there to start the new year off. Think my rear driveshaft carrier bearing is going again too, trying to find a shop that will build me a one piece driveshaft.

Have been needing a new truck for awhile, but really have to wait and see if my wife gets tenure at her job [in 2 years] before I can buy anything. Now, as with the last couple years I can only look and debate on the inter-webs. :D ;)

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
It's amazing how much they get out of the Tacoma's. Midsize truck that has less power, less comfortable, less payload, costs as much or more. Yikes. Hurry up, Ranger.

There isn't much cost savings with the GM midsized, so I doubt the Ranger will see any either.

Really liked the idea of the Colorado with the diesel but it would have cost more, reliability is questionable, and there were size limitations with a vehicle that two will be living in. My Tundra was only $31.2k out the door.

sn_85

Observer
Cmon... if you can't have an objective conversation about a brand, then what is the point of even having a &#8220;Toyota section?&#8221; Or is it just a huge Toyota fan boy circle jerk?

It is especially bad on TW, even being a long time Toyota owner can't nit pick about the things you don't like about the brand without someone taking it personally.

Need to take all the best things from each company and make one truck....and the Chevy Silvtundritanfifty might be the ticket....ugly as all hell as it may...looks like it has a little bit of everything in there. Get that killer GM engine, Ford 10 speed trans, Titan front fenders, F150/Tundra cab, Tundra bed sides....

chevrolet-silverado-1500_100637152_m.jpg

No, I think most people "get it" when it comes to Toyota, both owners and non-owners alike.

I think the distinction is some people "get it" when it comes to Toyota reliability but still can acknowledge faults with the brand and/or acknowledge advances made by other brands. Other people go beyond "getting it" by worshiping the Toyota emblem and have nothing but contempt for any vehicle that doesn't bear that sacred badge, which is indicative of a fan boy mentality.

Agree with all that's been said here. I think we're all rooting for Toyota and want to support them, that's why we're in this section of the forum. Most of us have had many Toyotas before and that's why we're all interested in what a 3rd gen Tundra will bring. I myself have only owned Tacoma's and 4Runners. Toyota is honestly the company I consider first when it comes to purchasing a vehicle and I'll take the bad because the good typically outweighs the cons. That being said it's important to be fair and honest in critique. When the domestics are bringing in excitement to the truck segment and all you see is Toyota rehashing old designs it becomes a little disappointing. I consider the 2nd gen Tundra more of a gen 1.5. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now because the 3rd gen should and needs to bring in a new fresh design, better interior quality, new tech/infotainment, along with better engines/powertrains and fuel economy to even catch up to the Big 3. If the 3rd gen doesn't bring the "wow" factor and is nothing more than an evolutionary step then it's time to look in other directions. I'm hopeful but we'll have to wait and see.

perterra

Adventurer
:D

Believe I could get an easy 20 mpg HWY out of a F150....grumpy middle aged man that got waaaaay too many speedy tickets when I was younger, take off and stop easy....gently merge on to the highway, rolling up to 2 mph below the posted speed limit, set the cruise, lift my coffee to my lips and sip...then watch the rest of the world zip past me like they are going to ******** their pants and need to get somewhere in an awful hurry...

18 at 80, yeah I don't see it either, maybe 65 and driving like I do.

16 F-150 with the naturally aspirated V-6, after a couple hours rolling along at 65 with a tail wind. Closer day to day average is 23 mpg

20170908_105427_1504886086456.jpg

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The reason there are no issues posted about Entune is because nobody uses it. Ha ha. I tried to use it to find an address or simply make a call. It was like talking to my 90 year old grandma. After several tries, fed up, I did it myself. Sync at least has CarPlay.

Works perfectly fine for me hahahah

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Well I guess with loyal fanboys like yourself maybe they shouldn't be. Seems like anything Toyota puts out there will be some who buy it regardless. I never knew Toyota was beyond reproach and above all criticism. The mere mention of Toyota improving, innovating, and adding some excitement is considered being "whiny" according to you. My money goes to the brand that puts out the best product, not to some form of brand loyalty or an emblem.

if that makes your little feelings happy believe what you want.

Clutch

<---Pass
16 F-150 with the naturally aspirated V-6, after a couple hours rolling along at 65 with a tail wind. Closer day to day average is 23 mpg

Don't know anyone with the NA V6. Good to see that, because that engine is high on the list for me, more than enough for what I need and want.

bkg

Explorer
Yup you’re a knuckle head and swallow anything that’s put in your face.

You’re like a petulant 8 year old whose parents finally took your blankie away. Is this really your way of engaging in a discussion? Well shoot, as long as Toyota has buyers like you, you’re correct... they won’t need to keep up.

rruff

Explorer
When the domestics are bringing in excitement to the truck segment and all you see is Toyota rehashing old designs it becomes a little disappointing.

Toyota is in a tough position. It isn't going to be a big seller no matter how awesome and high tech they make it. And modifications and options cost money, which cuts into profit margins.

I don't really care for "excitement" personally. I want a truck that does its job economically and with minimal fuss. The current Tundra is way nicer than I really need, even the cheapest model.

perterra

Adventurer
Don't know anyone with the NA V6. Good to see that, because that engine is high on the list for me, more than enough for what I need and want.

It requires building up a lot of RPM's to move out quickly, but once it has a head of steam it moves on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior