Soon to be Monty Owner

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
$2500 would go a lot further with a Monty Sport. I don't know that $2500 for a turn key gen2 is realistic even with generous application of elbow grease.

Seems easier to just plan on winning the lottery at similar chances.

It is very possible to find a gen 2/2.5 in the $2500 range in usable condition.

PacS14

Adventurer
It is very possible to find a gen 2/2.5 in the $2500 range in usable condition.

That's how much I paid for mine. But needed all maintenance done, as well as tires, shocks, AC compressor replaced and refill, among other "minor" things, but the engine ran, and 4x4 worked along with the locker.

twisterad3

Well, I didn't expect a show room condition SR. I don't mind putting in the work, but it was advertised a little misleadingly. I still want it. I just couldn't do $1300 for something that leaked that badly...
I actually still want it, because some TLC would go a long way with this thing (especially inside... FILTHY). Just for the numbers I want/need, I need it closer to around $800 to $1000. It runs. It actually ran pretty well.. 4wd works, although the dash lights are out... But the wheels spinning in the mud helped confirm it. Had a lot more pep than the 4.0 Grand Cherokee I test drove.. (My jeep buddy really wants me to get a jeep)
Long story short, I offered them $1000 for it, and if they agree, I'll grab the flatbed, and tow it home and start turning some wrenches.

twisterad3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12nwds4rV1OmxgZvNBABpYzDR8RkmEn3D/view?usp=sharing

I kept getting an upload error this morning when I was trying to attach the photo. But, I took the Montero home for $1000. Guess it's time to start a new thread for the building process. I've already torn out the front seats and center console, since it's fithy... While I'm waiting for OEM timing belt and water pump parts to get here. :)

PS, it does run. I didn't have anyone to go with me yesterday, which is why I threw it on the flatbed trailer. Also, a 60 mile trip with an oil leak like that, probably should have been towed anyway.

Last edited:

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
It will be interesting to see how much money you have to throw at it to get it into decent shape. I suspect you will invest much more than your initial vehicle cost. I know I have and I'm still not done..

twisterad3

It will be interesting to see how much money you have to throw at it to get it into decent shape. I suspect you will invest much more than your initial vehicle cost. I know I have and I'm still not done..

Me too. My budget is $3000 all in for the time being. That's why I was looking around $2500 mark, because I figure even on those rigs comes a few hundred in maintenance.
Good news is, I'm keeping a spreadsheet of all purchases... Keeping a loose archive of time invested.
What years is yours?

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Looks like you scored pretty decent, if you take a hot minute like you're talking and do some maintenance you'll likely come under budget with lots of room for big tires and cool stuff. Aisin water pumps only, dealer hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt, get a revised crank bolt, which motor? 3.5 quad cam? Reminds me of my old truck that sat on 37's, scored it for about as much and spent a week freshening the engine up with new gaskets, bearings and rings. That truck was a blast.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Me too. My budget is $3000 all in for the time being. That's why I was looking around $2500 mark, because I figure even on those rigs comes a few hundred in maintenance.
Good news is, I'm keeping a spreadsheet of all purchases... Keeping a loose archive of time invested.
What years is yours?

I paid.... $3000 for mine. And have since spent about $4000 in repairs/maintenance. Needs a few hundred to a grand in the engine bay at a minimum.

If you get lucky, you can do it. :)

twisterad3

Looks like you scored pretty decent, if you take a hot minute like you're talking and do some maintenance you'll likely come under budget with lots of room for big tires and cool stuff. Aisin water pumps only, dealer hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt, get a revised crank bolt, which motor? 3.5 quad cam? Reminds me of my old truck that sat on 37's, scored it for about as much and spent a week freshening the engine up with new gaskets, bearings and rings. That truck was a blast.

I ordered shocks for it, since these are blown (I went with the 4600's, for now)... Also ordered the revised crank shaft bolt from ADD.
I'm ordering the belt and tensioner (OEM. I learned from my DSM days) and the pump (was debating on OEM). I just need to convert cash to debit to get the $ in the bank! The engine overall is pretty clean up top. It's just the bottom with the nasty oil leak. I lost the key (doh), so I've just been cleaning the interior...
Getting a little ahead of myself, I pulled the locker pump and hooked up a 12v battery to it last night to make sure it was working, since the button didn't seem to activate anything during the test drive, and a lot of the dash lights are out. I may add a bypass so I can have 2WD lockers, and preserve the drivetrain for when I need 3wd.

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
What years is yours?

Mine is a 2000. I paid $1900 for it with a blown head gasket, but the body and interior was decent as well as the rest of the drivetrain and it had a boat load of maintenance records. It did have high miles, 250K and around here, Monteros are extremely rare (excluding Sports). I've already got $1500 in a complete engine rebuild that I did, plus I had the front seats recovered by a professional and I'm still not done. Next is paint for the hood and the roof and then tires. I'm way beyond getting my money back out of it, so I guess I'm stuck with it until the rest of the world wakes up and recognizes these vehicles are the next LandCruiser...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I ordered shocks for it, since these are blown (I went with the 4600's, for now)... Also ordered the revised crank shaft bolt from ADD.
I'm ordering the belt and tensioner (OEM. I learned from my DSM days) and the pump (was debating on OEM). I just need to convert cash to debit to get the $ in the bank! The engine overall is pretty clean up top. It's just the bottom with the nasty oil leak. I lost the key (doh), so I've just been cleaning the interior...
Getting a little ahead of myself, I pulled the locker pump and hooked up a 12v battery to it last night to make sure it was working, since the button didn't seem to activate anything during the test drive, and a lot of the dash lights are out. I may add a bypass so I can have 2WD lockers, and preserve the drivetrain for when I need 3wd.

The locker will only engage in 4-lo with the center diff locked, and chances are your transfer case ball has crumbled and is not allowing the lever to function properly, it is a documented issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier