Dedicated APRS Mobile With a Radio Shack HTX 212

snare

Adventurer
I ended up with using a Radio Shack HTX 212, which I got inexpensively (unfortunately the seller forgot to tell me that the power button doesnt work. it can not be turned off by the button).

I have it powered through a relay that is connected to my auxiliary battery.
The relay is triggered by a manual switch n my switch panel that is wired to switched power from the engine battery.

Had a cable made up by someone who has made a couple before for the same purpose with this model radio.
For some reason, after taking several days through a few emails. hammadeparts said it was not possible to make one. Glad I found someone who didnt hold that belief.

Cable connects to a MobilinkD modem/TNC, which bluetooths to my phone or tablet which has APRSdroid app.
MobilinkD has an auto on/off power option now, and it is powered directly through the HTX 212 via a micro USB end built into the connection cable

I have it all mounted on a vertical panel, bolted below my sleeping platform in the right rear corner of the truck (still need to shorten the antenna coax).

The HTX 212 is easily programmable, unlike the Motorola Maxtrac, which is why I went away from the Maxtrac. It has low of 10 and high of 45 watts output.

I can unplug the cable and plug in the HTX 212's mic and have a backup 2m radio.
The MobilinkD I can remove easily and attach to an HT to be more mobile, if need be.

So far, it has worked very well. Looking forward to the messaging and tracking capability.

aprsmontero.jpg

aprsradiomounted.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Really like this idea.
Thanks for the write-up.
Even though I have a dual band radio, the ability to do this off the radio is a big plus.

I'm going to look into duplicating this for my rig.
Thanks again for posting up your build. :beer:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I run a similar setup using a Mobilinkd and a Yaesu FTM-3100r. I too had to make a cable but it was easy and I had everything but the TRRS connector but Mobilinkd sells them pretty cheap.
I built my mobile radio setup a little at a time and a dualband radio with APRS built in was out of my price range.
I have a Yaesu FT-8800r for voice and at first I tried using a Boafeng for APRS with a mobile antenna and it was less than stellar but the 2m mobile radio works wonderfully.
I programmed memories for 144.390 with low, med, and high power so I just turn the knob to change memories and don't have to fiddle with pushing the right button and then turning the knob to change power settings. I also have memories for the ISS/PSat (NO-84) as I can work APRS through them as well from my Jeep with my mobile antenna.
Granted I probably have the same amount of money in the whole set up now, but it was over time so the blow to the wallet was minimized.

Last edited:

snare

Adventurer
Really like this idea.
Thanks for the write-up.
Even though I have a dual band radio, the ability to do this off the radio is a big plus.

I'm going to look into duplicating this for my rig.
Thanks again for posting up your build. :beer:

You're welcome, happy to share info with others.

I have a dual band Icom 2730. I actually wanted this separate so i can retain use of both receivers in the Icom.

snare

Adventurer
I run a similar setup using a Mobilinkd and a Yaesu FTM-3100r. I too had to make a cable but it was easy and I had everything but the TRRS connector but Mobilinkd sells them pretty cheap.
I built my mobile radio setup a little at a time and a dualband radio with APRS built in was out of my price range.
I have a Yaesu FT-8800r for voice and at first I tried using a Boafeng for APRS with a mobile antenna and it was less than stellar but the 2m mobile radio works wonderfully.
I programmed memories for 144.390 with low, med, and high power so I just turn the knob to change memories and don't have to fiddle with pushing the right button and then turning the knob to change power settings. I also have memories for the ISS/PSat (NO-84) as I can work APRS through them as well from my Jeep with my mobile antenna.
Granted I probably have the same amount of money in the whole set up now, but it was over time to the blow to the wallet was minimized.

This is working wonderfully as well. I am really liking it. I need to put in the ISS freq.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste