South African Alucab pickup cap/canopy in USA...anyone bought?

NYON

Hi All,

New poster here...I searched the forum but couldn't find anything exactly on topic, but that may be due to my lack of search skills than actual non-existence of thread!! :Wow1: So, apologies if this has been asked before.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased and had experience with the Alucab South African pickup cap/canopy in the USA. I believe the only canopy Alucab exports to the US is for the Toyota Tacoma which goes for about $3000-$4000 depending on size + options (https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-explorer-canopy-for-toyota-tacoma). I believe this is a bit of a premium over domestic US fiberglass or aluminum topper options.

If anyone has purchased the Alucab, how has it been for you? Marked improvement over a domestic fiberglass or aluminum topper from ARE/Snugtop/Leer, etc? Have you found the price differential worth it over the domestic US options and value for money? Have you mounted a roof top tent to it and does it seem sturdy? Has it held up in US climate conditions? Any problems or things they could have done better?

And lastly, if people have thought about purchasing one and haven't, what has stopped people from buying one?

Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide!! They look interesting but come at a bit of price premium and not sure if anyone has actually bought one. Thanks again!! :)

90SH556

I would be interested if they made one for the F150, I feel aluminum is superior to fiberglass (when it comes to abuse)... But I would be concerned with corrosion, being I stay around the ocean.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I would be interested if they made one for the F150, I feel aluminum is superior to fiberglass (when it comes to abuse)... But I would be concerned with corrosion, being I stay around the ocean.

I can't say I've looked for full sized caps (owning a Ranger and all it's kind of unnecessary) but for midsized or compacts they make aluminium caps- have you looked at them at all or are you looking for more robust than a lighter duty civilian aluminium cap?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting, I wonder what the base weight is?
IMO the most frustrating thing about truck toppers is that you can't shop by the two most important variables: Weight and price. Virtually every other product in the world you can look up a price on, but for some reason with truck toppers they never post a price, it's always "contact us for pricing info."
And yes, I understand that there are a lot of variables such as options, location, etc, but I don't see any reason why they can't put something on their web site like "Base price is $XXXX and here are the prices for popular options. For an actual quote contact the dealer."
They could do the same thing with weight. "For a short-bed full size the base weight is approximately XXX Lb."
If I get another pickup I'm considering running an aluminum topper rather than fiberglass, just for the weight savings (the cost savings would be a bonus.) The reason I want low weight is because I would love to have a topper that the wife and I could remove when I don't want to have it on there. A full size topper made of fiberglass would require a minimum of 3 adults and preferably 4 - too much trouble to get that done on a regular basis but a topper that 2 adults could remove and put back on would be ideal.

dman93

Adventurer
I don't have an AluCab but I looked at one owned by a guy who's either here on ExPo or on Tacoma World. It's very nice, not perfect, but seems to have some better features than US-made contractor caps ... in particular the seals on the side doors, the optional side storage units and the roof rack. Fit and finish is good, not great (perhaps better than an ARE DCU, about like an Access Tradesman) but materials and hardware (latches) are of very good quality. I think they're only available for Tacoma, maybe Frontier and the new Ranger. Google around a bit and you can find more info.

90SH556

I can't say I've looked for full sized caps (owning a Ranger and all it's kind of unnecessary) but for midsized or compacts they make aluminium caps- have you looked at them at all or are you looking for more robust than a lighter duty civilian aluminium cap?

I am just now looking at options for my new to me F150. But at Martinkimpr said, it can be a bit annoying. I like the features of that cap the OP posted. More so that you can have shelves on the side access panels and it looks well built. The few I looked at recently, mostly fiberglass and one aluminum one. My complaints is usually they don't seal well and then security. My real concern with fiberglass is weight and something hitting it causing cracking. What ever tops I go with, will be white to match the truck and not be so hot. So it will most likely be fiberglass.

I am looking to install a camper shell, with a bed storage system and then throwing a mattress on top. I also want some type of fan on top of the shell. My previous vehicle would get a bit sluggish and handled poorly with to much weight (97 Isuzu Trooper). So I want to keep weight down and low as much as possible.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Interesting, I wonder what the base weight is?
IMO the most frustrating thing about truck toppers is that you can't shop by the two most important variables: Weight and price. Virtually every other product in the world you can look up a price on, but for some reason with truck toppers they never post a price, it's always "contact us for pricing info."

And yes, I understand that there are a lot of variables such as options, location, etc, but I don't see any reason why they can't put something on their web site like "Base price is $XXXX and here are the prices for popular options. For an actual quote contact the dealer."
They could do the same thing with weight. "For a short-bed full size the base weight is approximately XXX Lb."
If I get another pickup I'm considering running an aluminum topper rather than fiberglass, just for the weight savings (the cost savings would be a bonus.) The reason I want low weight is because I would love to have a topper that the wife and I could remove when I don't want to have it on there. A full size topper made of fiberglass would require a minimum of 3 adults and preferably 4 - too much trouble to get that done on a regular basis but a topper that 2 adults could remove and put back on would be ideal.

Not to hijack the post, but AT posts both the price and weight of their topper on the website. As you and others are inferring it's not rocket science.

Now back to the original post.

Britboaters

Observer
We rented a Ford Ranger in Africa for a one month safari. It came with an Alucab camper, which was on its 3rd truck. Pretty old.
It was in great shape and worked very well. Well made, stout, and eveything sealed up well. So well in fact that the freezer couldn't breath and overheated.
My son just bought one for his Tacoma. The major reasons were they are strong enough to put a tent up on top with 2 people; and also security with all the hatches locking.
It looks really nicely made.
Bob

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
We rented a Ford Ranger in Africa for a one month safari. It came with an Alucab camper, which was on its 3rd truck. Pretty old.
It was in great shape and worked very well. Well made, stout, and eveything sealed up well. So well in fact that the freezer couldn't breath and overheated.
My son just bought one for his Tacoma. The major reasons were they are strong enough to put a tent up on top with 2 people; and also security with all the hatches locking.
It looks really nicely made.
Bob

Thanks for the feedback Bob and seeing them in the bush is an awesome experience! :safari-rig:

fietsryer

Can't help on where to find them in the US, but I can confirm that the Alucab canopies are very popular here in Southern Africa.

Alucab was one of the pioneers of alu canopies and they know what they are doing. The canopies are strong enough to endure many years of rough traveling on African roads, which is the reason why many of the rental companies down here use them. They are pricey, but will outlast your truck...

In recent years several competitors of Alucab has also started manufacturing alu canopies. Nowadays you hardly see any fiberglass canopies when you travel to the more remote areas - they simply don't last on the poor and corrugated (washboard) roads.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Can't help on where to find them in the US, but I can confirm that the Alucab canopies are very popular here in Southern Africa.

Alucab was one of the pioneers of alu canopies and they know what they are doing. The canopies are strong enough to endure many years of rough traveling on African roads, which is the reason why many of the rental companies down here use them. They are pricey, but will outlast your truck...

In recent years several competitors of Alucab has also started manufacturing alu canopies. Nowadays you hardly see any fiberglass canopies when you travel to the more remote areas - they simply don't last on the poor and corrugated (washboard) roads.

I completely agree, the level of refined roads here in the USA have made fiberglass canopies much more popular than in ZA. For Alu-Cab canopies in the states, we offer them https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-explorer-canopy-for-toyota-tacoma along with select dealers throughout the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles