Goofy Pelican Question

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Anyone have actual experience removing the handles from Pelican cases without doing damage to the handle or to the case? I'm 100 miles from my Pelicans and working on an architectural low voltage lighting installation. Need a couple of waterproof boxes to mount 12-24V power supplies and LED controllers on exterior walls. Electronics are all IP67, so OK outdoors but not so good if fully exposed to weather. Have not found any commercial enclosures that give me the size flexibility of Pelicans to put weatherproof enclosures in the spaces available.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Try the enclosures used for landscape sprinkler timers. some are larger than others and they are mostly lockable as well. Since they are often mounted outside they must be weatherproof. Probably less expensive as well.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Try the enclosures used for landscape sprinkler timers.
Tried that. Yesterday went to Home Depot and Lowe's, plus four commercial and agricultural irrigation suppliers, plus online search. The residential stuff is crap and the commercial stuff is all special order, super high prices and long lead times. Electrical main lug boxes will work, but they are uglier than the Pelicans and more limited in size options. Sitting on the bench right now I have a timer enclosure, two different main lug boxes and, a sub-panel box. All will work, none are satisfactory from a function or aesthetic standpoint. WiFi boxes as used by cable installers would work, but have not found a local source, yet.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Sounds like custom fabrication is looming in your future. I find often that I cannot find something commercially available and have to make it or turn to someone that can create what I cannot. Might save you lots of time looking for something.
I suppose this thought has occurred to you already but exploring all options is how things are found.

I saw a post (cannot recall where) about patching holes in those cases. Didn't seem too complicated but required cutting a hole and patching with similar gage plastic with epoxy. Seemed it worked.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Harbor Freight now has Pelican clones in three sizes. The largest is about the size of a small briefcase. And if you are removing the handle anyway, just cut it in half at the middle and the ends ought to come out more readily.

'Apache' brand name, 3800-series case is roughly 16x10x6 inside. $40 and 20% coupons are everywhere.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-Watertight-Protective-Case-16-516-In-63927.html

Their mid-size '2800' is 12x9x4

https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-Watertight-Protective-Case-13-34-In-63926.html

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have that largest HF case, if you need to see any details. I've been prepping it as a multiple-pistol transport case. Thinking about a sideline as a pistol trainer and the case would be useful anyway for complying with CA regs on transport.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd paint it to match whatever surface it is mounted on, anyway, then UV is moot.
But they appear to be very similar to the Pelican plastic. polypropylene and rated IP65, essentially dust and water proof. Pelicans are rated IP67, good for immersion in water up to a meter deep

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There are metallic and nonmetallic NEMA 3 & 4 enclosures available, but none that meet all the "requirements" of this installation. I have a plastic NEMA 3 on the way in from Amazon, and have been playing with a couple of steel enclosures that I have here. Preferences are that the boxes be no more than 4" deep, no knockouts on top or sides, latch closure rather than screwed on, gasketed and hinged face rather than removable, either plastic or, if metal, just deep enough to allow for a panel of rigid insulating foam to reduce heat gain on a south facing wall in the desert. The electronics are IP67 and rated for operation between -40C to 60C, so heat might be a problem, hence the preference for plastic. Prefer ABS to PVC or to what the manufacturers refer to as "weather resistant plastic alloy." One box will have a 240W 24V solid state power supply and a single RF receiver. Other box will have a 100W transformer with three programmable IR receivers, so needs to have a door that is relatively easy to open for programming the remotes. Both supplied with 110 line voltage. Thought it would be simple to just buy a couple of boxes and screw them to the wall. But, noooooo......

rayra

Expedition Leader
If it's something like a remote gate motor, maybe something like a plastic battery box enclosure, with room enough for the electronics. THere are also plastic ammo cans in a couple sizes which might be adapatible to what you want. But anything with a transformer, wouldn't you want it breathable so there isn't a heat buildup?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
But anything with a transformer, wouldn't you want it breathable so there isn't a heat buildup?

Yes. These boxes are all either pretty sloppily built, or have vents, or both. The Pelican boxes would be the exception. The steel NEMA boxes have loose fitting doors, and whatever I use will be mounted to a stucco wall on standoffs to allow some air circulation on the back. I'll add a drain hole or two on the bottom, so there should be some convection. Going to a giant electro-geek emporium this afternoon to see if I can find a cable/wifi box.

rayra

Expedition Leader
the bottom / back of the Apache 3800.

apache3800backside.jpg

If you are using standoffs it would be easy enough to cut in some sheltered ventilation in the back side. Screen mesh. You could even use those in-line mesh screens for hose-connected drip irrigation systems. Breathable but screened from insects.

eta what about using electrical junction boxes / fuse panels? lots of sizes and shapes and outdoor rated.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Electro-geek emporium was closed yesterday, so it's back to NEMA boxes and sprinkler timer boxes and Pelicans. Power supplies and receivers arrive tomorrow, so then I'll have some idea of how to fit everything in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles