APRS Integration With Gaia GPS App

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't want your incorrect and negative perception of APRS to discourage others from looking into it.
To be honest this is my primary motivation, to encourage and expand use of APRS. It's got more to offer than just position beacons and there's the APRS link to Spotwalla, which is pretty handy and I bet not even all that many hams know about that feature.

I'm not actually a Gaia user and I'm basically indifferent with snare's insistence to get APRS integrated. I still requested the feature, it may get me off the dime to start using it, I dunno.

snare

Adventurer
Please consider voting and /or commenting. It will only take a minute to do. thanks !

To be honest this is my primary motivation, to encourage and expand use of APRS. It's got more to offer than just position beacons and there's the APRS link to Spotwalla, which is pretty handy and I bet not even all that many hams know about that feature.

I'm not actually a Gaia user and I'm basically indifferent with snare's insistence to get APRS integrated. I still requested the feature, it may get me off the dime to start using it, I dunno.

nope, not insisting.

Airmapper

Inactive Member

I just did the same, same situation, I am actually pretty fond of BackCountry Navigator but I would give Gaia a try if APRS live updated over RF. Who knows, if I tried it I might even like it, but it's going to take a compelling feature to get me to try it.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I agree with integration of APRS and Gaia. I'd actually like an overlay of the Grid Squares, that would be fantastic.

I can see 2 use cases here:

1) People who do Summits on the Air activities can use the Gaia maps to see the topo features and get the information on what grid square they are in.

2) If I am really going to enjoy things, I'd go off grid entirely that means using HF APRS since I may not be in range of a VHF digi. Then you can really leverage the strength of Gaia's maps with the ability of APRS to report your location. I do not think people appreciate HF APRS enough.

The really important thing is being able to integrate the radio, tablet/laptop, and GPS data. As noted, Apple's unwillingness to leverage Bluetooth to do this is not helpful. I think once that is overcome it really will help.

For now though, not sure anyone mentioned this as an interface: http://www.mobilinkd.com/

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I originally got involved with ham specifically because of APRS. But it turned out that I had much better results using InReach, and have never used APRS.
I run BCN, so could use APRS with it for redundancy.
It would be fun to try HF APRS, but don't have an HF radio in the truck... yet. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste