APRS Integration With Gaia GPS App

snare

Adventurer
An official feature request has been made of the Gaia GPS app to integrate APRSdroid info.

If you go to this and vote and comment, they will see the value of integration.

It would be great to have the integration and if nothing else it will foster more interest and use by hams.

With more input of info, the APRS system becomes more useful as a resource as it was designed.

Backcountry Navigator just started integration in a beta version.

Gaia has a significantly greater amount of users and I find it to be a go to for nav.

APRS is a ham radio based information source that is of particular relevance to overlanders and travelers, offering the opportunity to access local info, optional tracking, as well as two way messaging without the use of cell service.

The more use of it, the more useful it becomes.

Please consider voting and /or commenting. It will only take a minute to do. thanks !

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008857887-APRSdroid-integration-

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Think this is a great idea! :)
Went to vote, but it requires a Gaia account.
I don't use Gaia, so couldn't vote, or leave a comment.
Hope they incorporate this for you all. :beer:

snare

Adventurer
LOL good luck, Great idea for local use but Gaia would not even concider using Spotwalla and far better and FREE application for short to global use. I like Gaia and dislike Gaia for many reasons.

great idea for "local use". what do you mean? Are you familiar with APRS and its capabilities?

BagiMT

Naturalist
Backcountry Navigator already has integration with APRSDroid.

Sent from my Fire Phone using Tapatalk

camp4x4

Adventurer
It's such an unfortunate situation that iOS doesn't support serial bluetooth connections. For us iOS users the only option is the headphone jack, but I'm sure for some that's kind of a deal killer.

If GaiaGPS were to actually incorporate APRS through APRSDroid I'd seriously consider swapping out my iPad for an Android tablet... well, at least in the truck for nav and music. ;)

With the inter-app api available it seems this would be a reasonably straight-forward integration. https://github.com/ge0rg/aprsdroid/blob/master/doc/API.mdwn

Airmapper

Inactive Member

If I'm using it correctly, which is in question, all I've ever been able to do with BCN+APRSDroid is see the static location of a single station added as a waypoint. More or less a copy/paste automation. What I really want is a updating view of all stations coming in over RF (Or filtered from APRS-IS based on distance from my location.) That would be perfect.

snare

Adventurer

Correct, in beta form currently.

Perhaps it can be further integrated,
And it would be great if other quality, popular apps like Gaia GPS did also.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
If I recall it's a HM radio based tracking and "Radiomail" service that requires connection to an ever changing list of repeaters as you travel. To use it requires knowing all those repeaters and programming. I'm a HAM, but hate the finicky business of constant tuning. Give me plug and play any day.....SPOTWALLA

So the answer is no, you don't know anything about APRS.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If I recall it's a HM radio based tracking and "Radiomail" service that requires connection to an ever changing list of repeaters as you travel. To use it requires knowing all those repeaters and programming. I'm a HAM, but hate the finicky business of constant tuning. Give me plug and play any day.....SPOTWALLA
Spotwalla is an aggregator, it collects SPOT and APRS and several other location services and put them onto a map and sends out emails to people. APRS isn't finicky.

In the U.S. and Canada it all operates on 144.390 and all the digital repeaters are store-and-forward on the same frequency. All the stations and repeaters time slice, so they listen and wait for a pause to do their thing and not walk over each other.

The exception is if you're trying to reach the International Space Station (which has an APRS digipeater at 145.825) or in literally a handful of places were 144.390 has another use (Pugent Sound has a 144.350 relay, for example).

I believe what you're thinking about is HF Winlink. That is completely different situation.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Airmapper...ah yeah...thanks for nothing. Take a lesson from Dave.

Good, you got exactly what I wanted to give you.

Since I have your attention, I look at it this way. It would take you 5 minutes (maybe less) on Google to figure out everything Dave told you if you were actually interested. Dave is nicer than me I guess, so it makes me kind of annoyed you would waste such a nice guys time.

If you are not interested enough to educate yourself on it just a little bit before crapping on it, why would I want to teach you anything? I mean if I read your posts, I'm not entirely sure it's not an advertisement for SPOTWALLA. I mean if I really don't know much about something, I try to look it up a little bit before I decide something else is better and comment as such. I consider myself kinda lazy, so if I can do that much...

My only reason to comment at all is I don't want your incorrect and negative perception of APRS to discourage others from looking into it. It's pretty easy for those of us who actually have a desire to figure it out. It's not perfect for everyone's use, and it has limitations, which is why people interested in it should do a teeny tiny bit of homework.

If I can be of assistance to anyone on APRS, I'd be more than happy to help. On the condition you want to know about APRS and not just here to tell me what you think is easier or better.

snare

Adventurer
"the raven" actually just went to the Gaia app feature request link and stated they dont support it and went on to spout more stuff about Spotwalla.

incredulous !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles