70th anniversary defender

LtFuzz

Explorer
The price on that Defender is an absurd and cynical slap in the face to the thousands of rural middle class Brits that have long used these trucks in their sparest configuration and for their intended purpose. I'm not suggesting there is no precedent for tarting up a work truck and hawking it to the children of the 1%, this is just a particularly bawdy and ridiculous example of that.

Having recently sold my LR3 (my 5th Rover) and with nothing but grotesquely inflating prices and trim levels to accompany the nascent homogeneity in design, I think my interest in the brand will fully eclipse sooner rather than later.

Crossing my fingers for an interesting and consumer-priced new Defender. If they can't manage that, then ******** Land Rover for good.

Worms

What the article linked above doesn’t make clear is that these are actually second-hand vehicles! LR apparently bought low-mileage examples back and rebuilt them for the 70th anniversary edition. So...£150k for a used car! :)

DiscoDavis

Explorer
What the article linked above doesn’t make clear is that these are actually second-hand vehicles! LR apparently bought low-mileage examples back and rebuilt them for the 70th anniversary edition. So...£150k for a used car! :)

Technically it appears some may be as late as 2015 models that they set aside for this purpose. Not to say they don't have frame/VINs of earlier cars. But these 70th ones have the most modern drivetrains and the trans/motor are brand new from a RR. What I heard was it wasn't even all LR, bowler did the motor and trans fitting.

As to the whole rest of the car and the price tag, see it as Land Rover the company preparing customers for the new model's price, and possibly having the true defender as an expensive "classic" option. Doubt anyone but Harry Metcalfe and Richard Hammond will use them for anything more than a coffee outing or a dinner in town.

Tembo

topless adventures
Yep, gone are the days when Land Rover was a utility/family vehicle line up and Range Rover was the luxury brand. Now it is all one look-alike range and with Gerry at the helm the new Defender will look like all the others and carry the same high end pricing. Sticking with my '86 110 and will just keep rebuilding it till I die... and then give to my son.

SHS14

Video makes me think G wagon 550 and so would attract that type of buyer. For my money, I would buy the Benz.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Land Rover 2018 is pro level trolling.. "2015: We're ending production. It'll be missed despite its flaws...... 2018: Here's the truck you actually wanted.. but can't have. Peace."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne