Replacement Headlight Recommendation

windtraveler

Observer
I need to replace the headlights in my 1999 100 series LC. Any recommendations? My goal is to get as much light out there as possible. Should I just replace the bulbs or go with a complete new lens as well? Thanks in advance

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've just put good PIAA and or Hella bulbs in the factory housings. I see the odd person changing the whole shebang, but I'd rather buy good quality auxiliary lights than try to make the headlights better. It adds redundancy as well, which to me is a good thing.

Madbodhi

Observer
Change out the bulbs to HIR style bulbs. Low beam you replace the stock 9006 bulbs (55W, 1000 lumens) with a 9012 (55W, 1875 lumens). Replace stock high beam 9005 ( 65W, 1700 lumens) with 9011 (65W, 2530 lumens). Just a little trimming on the mounting tabs of the bulbs is required, no mods to the vehicle. I did it on mine and it was a HUGE improvement.

yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I tried that in my 100, and it was killing bulbs every few months. I put the brightest stock type bulb I could find back in, and no more problems. I'm not sure why they would have burned out so quick as the wattages were not way out of spec. After trying 3 different brands and styles of upgraded bulbs, I went back to 9005/9006s.

I still say good auxiliary lighting in a redundant system is the best and most versatile upgrade.

windtraveler

Observer
Thanks to all. Trying the HIR bulbs seems like a good place to start. If they don’t work or burn out frequently I’m not out that much. Alternative/add on lighting is in the plan for off-road trips for sure but I need something for highway driving at night in the cold, dark, rainy, PNW ?

Madbodhi

Observer
I used Phillips brand bulbs and its been over a year without issue. I do also have Hella Rally 4000's on the front wired to my high beams. Halogen because having lights that put out some heat is great when theres alot of snow flying.....that and the HID version is $$$

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks to all. Trying the HIR bulbs seems like a good place to start. If they don't work or burn out frequently I'm not out that much. Alternative/add on lighting is in the plan for off-road trips for sure but I need something for highway driving at night in the cold, dark, rainy, PNW ��

I live in the cold dark rainy PNW as well, and auxiliary lighting works just fine. But clearly that's not where you want to go with this.

windtraveler

Observer
I live in the cold dark rainy PNW as well, and auxiliary lighting works just fine. But clearly that’s not where you want to go with this.
I’m not opposed to aux lighting, as a matter of fact they are definitely in the plans, just not ready to pull the trigger yet. I just figured I might get run off the road if I used aux lights on the highway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles