10 months and hundreds of man-hours later...

Brettski

Observer
And it's nearly complete. I want to thank this forum for endless ideas and shared knowledge, even if I didn't post a lot, I read a TON. Some almost done pics below. Build thread to follow.

Attachments

• 18-01-AlmostDone (1).jpg
    18-01-AlmostDone (1).jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 18-01-AlmostDone (2).jpg
    18-01-AlmostDone (2).jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 18-01-AlmostDone (3).jpg
    18-01-AlmostDone (3).jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 62

Brettski

Observer
My buddy and I decided to build one. Our basic idea was an off-road capable trailer with the following requirements:
-Decent clearance
-Track close to our 4Rs (both have 'em)
-Fits full size mattress (54" across)
-Otherwise as compact as possible

So we designed this with Toyota wheels and track matching the 4R. This required putting the bed over the wheels in order to wide enough. Otherwise we'd have a wider track if we tried to fit the full bed between the wheels. That made it higher- which isn't necessarily a bad thing because it added clearance. We created storage between the floor for the interior and the floor which sits on the frame. So the bulk of the weight is just above the axle making the rig pretty stable even though it looks tall. More of this will be clear with some build pics to follow.

Brettski

Observer
You know it starts with steel. Welding is fun!

Attachments

• 2017-Trailer003steel.jpg
    2017-Trailer003steel.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2017-Trailer004rawframe.jpg
    2017-Trailer004rawframe.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 2017-Trailer006rawwframe.jpg
    2017-Trailer006rawwframe.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 45

Brettski

Observer
Simple leaf spring setup, probably still a bit too stiff. Added some wheel wells, some primer and paint and got some tail lights/brakes wired up.

Attachments

• 2017-Trailer008leaf.jpg
    2017-Trailer008leaf.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2017-Trailer009.jpg
    2017-Trailer009.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 2017-Trailer011.jpg
    2017-Trailer011.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Brettski

Observer
Everything was to this point was fairly easy and straight forward. Then the hours and expenses started piling up. Ken for scale.

Welded walls out of 1x1, then got those bolted down to the frame with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Then started added the subfloor.

Brettski

Observer
With the cabin frame built and the subfloor in place (we used simple 1/2" ply for the subfloor, but glued FRP to the road side for protection from the elements. Then we used 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the interior floor and the storage drawer, cabinets, etc.

Brettski

Observer
Ken designs fitness studios and is familiar with lots of cool materials. He sourced some translucent corrugated plastic sheeting 1/4" thick. We used this for the interior walls figuring the light won't come through the exterior but we can easily find frame members.

1Goat

Nice one mate!
Please post some pics of the interior. How the bed fits, access to it, kitchen... etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
What kind of weight are you looking at? I'm talking fully loaded - water, food, gear, bedding, propane/batteries etc? Also what type of t4r do you have, are you going with air bags or adding a trans cooler? I'm 4runner shopping. Curious on its towing abilities.

Brettski

Observer
What kind of weight are you looking at? I'm talking fully loaded - water, food, gear, bedding, propane/batteries etc? Also what type of t4r do you have, are you going with air bags or adding a trans cooler? I'm 4runner shopping. Curious on its towing abilities.

Just got plates and it weighed in at 1380#. Add gear, water, battery, etc and it will still be well under 2000#. I towed it over 50 miles already (half highway at 60-65) and my '15 Trail Premium didn't seem to even notice it. Granted, I didn't drive any big hills where I'd expect the 4R to feel it. Trailer has electric brakes, so stopping is not an issue. Wasn't planning on any extra t-c cooling, etc than came with the truck.

Brettski

Observer
We put in the normal foam 1" insulation between the steel frame. Then screwed 1/4" ply panel everywhere.

Cut out the window/door holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94