Help Me Pick An Overland Rig

Hackopotomus

Observer
I am kind of transitioning from more hard core off roading to overlanding, wanting to do longer trips and camping. I don't want to do the tent thing nor do I want a RTT (don't want to have to climb a ladder or lift up my dog) and want to sleep in the back of whatever rig I build. It would be just me and my 50# dog.

My sister has a VW Vanagon Wesfalia which I drove recently and it was very fun. Hers has a Jetta engine conversion so it wasn't terribly slow. I don't think I'd need a Westfalia and a regular Vanagon would do. However, they are a bit pricey and I'd have to convert the engine to a Subbie or something with more power. They also don't really have any towing ability.

I looked at this '56 Chevy panel truck yesterday. The guy wanted to trade for one of my 4x4 quads. I' a hot rod guy (I have a few old cars) so this thing appeals to me and I think I could build a cool rig out of it although it has a little less room inside than a van.

I considered an early American van too. Had a few custom vans in the 70's and it'd be fun to do another one up. Found a local 4x4 van for only $2800 asking price. Of course I'd end up putting a lot more into it. What I really like about a van (or the panel) is the ability to just pull over somewhere and go to the back without having to get out.

I have two Jeep XJ's and a Chevy crew cab diesel 4x4 truck now. Both Jeeps are a bit more radical for overlanding. The tan one would not really be a candidate with no doors. The white one is built pretty nicely with 6" lift on long arms, lockers front and rear, etc. Incredible off road but gets a little squirrely above 65 MPH on the highway. I can sleep in the back but it is a bit small.

The Chevy is my tow rig but I have slept in the back before. It is an LTZ so fully loaded and now has a DEF delete, tuner, airbags with compressor. It could be a good candidate but the shell lacks head room. It has an RCD leveling kit so sits a little higher than stock but I can't run very large tires. I think maybe new shocks would help but now it feels like a paint shaker on washboard roads. I could go all out with a 6" lift and 34/35" tires. I've had full size trucks before with 6" lift and they rode well off road.

I could also go with a slide in camper although I don't like how big they are. There is also the option with going with a higher roof shell. I really like the popup campers but I feel they are way overpriced. I have toyed with the idea of removing the bed and building a custom Earth Roamer style camper with a pass through to the cab. That would be a pretty major undertaking and a bit costly but not out of the picture.

The downside of the truck of course is that it's rather large but I'm not sure how much of a hindrance that would be. I figure I'm going to be doing mostly dirt roads and light trails, nothing too radical so maybe the size would not be an issue?

As far as budget, I don't really have one. I am retired so don't want to go too crazy. All my stuff is paid for so if I built the truck I'd sell the two Jeeps and use that money. Same if I went with a van or the panel truck (I'd keep the Chevy truck though).

Another factor is longer distance traveling. I'm in north west NV and would be doing some traveling all over the west and would also like to make a trip to the east coast this summer. It would be nice to be able to cruise at 70+ MPH without getting blasted off the road by trucks and angry car drivers!

So I guess with all this rambling I'd like some of your opinions on running a full size truck versus a van/panel truck or Jeep. For those with big trucks, have you ever wanted something smaller? How have they been for you on rougher roads? Stock or lifted? Anyone with a custom built camper on the back, preferably with a cab pass through? I'd really be interested in your experience and is the pass through worth it?

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 00r0r_27NzXsDaZ0c_600x450.jpg
    00r0r_27NzXsDaZ0c_600x450.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 479
  • 00505_fhNwZhKIAdA_600x450.jpg
    00505_fhNwZhKIAdA_600x450.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 484

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The old vehicles will not be enjoyable on long journeys. I would sell the both jeeps and the truck, and buy a late model sportsmobile type van.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
3/4 ton Suburban or Excursion gets my vote, I'd probably prefer an Excursion with the V10. No diesel tax on purchase. Fuel mileage isn't terrible if you keep the lift and tire size reasonable. Lots of room in the Back of an Ex! Towing will be no problem with eiter of these!

Dalko43

Explorer
If you want to sleep in a bed-mounted camper use your Chevy Crew Cab diesel. If you want a more capable suspension, buy from a company that has a reputation for offroad performance and reliability (Carli, Icon, Thuren). A lot of leveling kits make the truck look cool but offer little, if any, functional improvement over the stock suspension.

If you want to ground camp or sleep in a RTT, put some smaller tires on of your Jeeps and use that.

With the 3 vehicles you have, you seem to have all your bases covered and I see no reason to buy another vehicle.

Explorerinil

Observer
I’m gonna recommend a different route, a power wagon with a pop up in bed camper or an aev prospector with the cummins. A truck with a solid front axle and some suspension upgrades can’t be beat, espically one with lockers.

I run a 3500 ram with Aisin trans and the cummins, I love it on long trips, allitle heavy for muddy trails, but I can drag a 10k trailer back in the woods. 25k on this one so far, no issues, just like the previous 7 ran cummins trucks I had.

MTCK

Observer
My $0.02, I’d keep your duramax and watch for a used pop up camper. You can tow your Jeep, keep your truck which is a known commodity, and have a comfortable space in the back. You have to be ready with cash, but deals do appear occasionally. That’s how I ended up with our Hallmark. Saw the ad, called the guy, got cash, hopped on a plane. Solid camper for about the price of a down payment on a new FWC Grandby.

B

BPD53

If it were me I would spend some money getting your white XJ some better road manners and call it a day.

By the way, it's a good looking XJ.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think you already have a perfectly suitable vehicle, the Crew Cab pickup. Build a sleeping platform in it and you're all set. If you need more headroom, go with a high-rise topper. Simple, reliable and best of all - you already own it.
If the suspension is not to your liking, you can tweak that, or even lift it. Otherwise I can't think of why it wouldn't be suitable for the kind of travel you would be doing.
You could also beef up the suspension and put a pop-up slide-in camper on it, as others have said. But if it were me I'd just run as minimally as you can. The more complex stuff you have (fresh water tanks, black/gray water tanks, water pumps, gas cook tops, etc) the more stuff you have that will break or stop working or need maintenance.
If I didn't have a wife to keep happy, instead of a travel trailer my camping setup would be a CCSB pickup with a cab-high topper, a sleeping platform in the back (even at 6'1" I could sleep in a 5.5' bed if I slept diagonally), a 12v fridge and a simple camp stove. No water (7 gallon jug works fine), no toilet (an e-tool and a walk in the woods are good enough for me) and no electrical stuff other than the fridge (which I admit is a bit of an indulgence, but it's nice to have.)

D

Deleted member 9101

My $0.02, I'd keep your duramax and watch for a used pop up camper. You can tow your Jeep, keep your truck which is a known commodity, and have a comfortable space in the back. You have to be ready with cash, but deals do appear occasionally. That's how I ended up with our Hallmark. Saw the ad, called the guy, got cash, hopped on a plane. Solid camper for about the price of a down payment on a new FWC Grandby.

Best plan here!

Clutch

<---Pass
Keep the Crew Cab and could get shell from Tradesman if you're looking for more headroom, they'll build you anything you want.

http://tradesmantrucktops.com/

Fairy basic, and a heck of a lot lighter than a slide-in.

custom-cabovers-A-12-e1415195982208.jpg

This is one is on a Tacoma

IMG_20170131_205614_698.jpg

Hackopotomus

Observer
Keep the Crew Cab and could get shell from Tradesman if you're looking for more headroom, they'll build you anything you want.

http://tradesmantrucktops.com/

Fairy basic, and a heck of a lot lighter than a slide-in.

custom-cabovers-A-12-e1415195982208.jpg

This is one is on a Tacoma

IMG_20170131_205614_698.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I like this option as it is something that I considered building myself. Either a larger shell / camper like this or removing the bed and building a permanent camper with a pass through to the cab. Then I could always tow my Jeep behind it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I like this option as it is something that I considered building myself. Either a larger shell / camper like this or removing the bed and building a permanent camper with a pass through to the cab. Then I could always tow my Jeep behind it.

You're welcome.

There are the steel framed Callens too. Lots of ideas HERE

mrblah

Observer
Look at Serden Maranda's offering too. They are mainly fiberglass and have less aluminium in them so for the same size as this "Tradesman" it's going to be lighter.

XJLI

Adventurer
My $0.02, I’d keep your duramax and watch for a used pop up camper. You can tow your Jeep, keep your truck which is a known commodity, and have a comfortable space in the back. You have to be ready with cash, but deals do appear occasionally. That’s how I ended up with our Hallmark. Saw the ad, called the guy, got cash, hopped on a plane. Solid camper for about the price of a down payment on a new FWC Grandby.

Yup.

Clutch

<---Pass
Look at Serden Maranda's offering too. They are mainly fiberglass and have less aluminium in them so for the same size as this "Tradesman" it's going to be lighter.

Lots and lots of good options out there.

I am cheap SOB, would probably try and find a used high-rise topper for the extra headroom, and a cot...and call it good for now, and get out there and explore. Building takes time away from traveling, and we aren't getting any younger. ;)

https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/d/truck-topper-shell-raven/6443639856.html

00Z0Z_2QNPfvajziQ_600x450.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles