Anyone Bought Alucab Cap/Canopy in US? Thoughts?

40tude

Adventurer
I would like to say mine seals well...but I would be lying to myself a bit. On my 3rd gen I have had to play a bit with the setup, as well as put grease between bed and cap, it it almost getting to the point where I don't have to worry about it...almost. Other than this issue, I do really like it...

jumpman1989

Really wish Tradesman and Alucab had more reviews. I contacted Alucab and they said they could throw in windoors for $199 a piece. After shipping with the tradesman that puts them at almost same price. Tough decision...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

NYON

Well, I'm currently on my trip and had it for three days now. Originally had and ARE overland canopy, moved to a kB voodoo and now I'm onto this, kind of a deal I couldn't pass up. Wasn't an intended purchase, just kind of right spot at the right time.

Anyways, the canopy is above and beyond anything I've had or use to date. My are overland was plagued with issues from day one, leaking on every window, horrible install, then a dealer dropped it and mashed up the corners. Needless to say it was sold. I grabbed a mid rack kbvooddoo as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but needed a spot to mount a rtt. That was alright, but really a rack is not a good solution for my needs/wants. The alucab canopy so far is rock solid and is going to meet my needs, well I think.

Pros:
-seal is amazing to the bed zero leaks
-windoors have zero leaks
-back door zero leaks
-durable
-I like the look
-strong as hell
-latches
-easily mount accessories to the inside of the canopy with m8 bolts in the rails, oh the options, maxtracs on ceiling, eccitemp shower in Windsor, ladder for rtt, propane tank, cargo netting, dead hooker ;), etc

I tested for leaks with a pressure washer in Kingman AZ for awhile, the bed and all my gear was bone dry.

Cons:
-latches, as mentioned there a bit finicky in snow/ice (lock de-ice is your best friend)
- fit with rails, I'd like it to be shaped more to the Tacoma rails but it works well. It's a Hiltz conversion as far as I can tell.
- no third brake light. Well none in mine anyways, I may add one, will see though on how the rear bumper works.
- the darn panel at the end of the bed, be nice if the windoor extended. Not a big deal though, the current wind doors are huge.and as eatsleepwolf mentioned great spot to mount items.

Overall, I think this is the right unit for me. So far I'm impressed, granted my trip so far has been asphalt based. The off-road part of my trip starts tomorrow with Mohave Road, then on off to Death Valley for about two weeks. I'll post up a review after I get back or during the trip if I have time, and go from there.

I'd post up a few more images but my iPad is failing me.

Aaen

-

Hi Aaen, thanks for the update during your trip and thoughts on the Alucab cap. Useful to hear about the latch issue and ice as it's good to know what to look out for during cold weather. Looking forward to hearing about the cap during the off road part of your trip. Hope you're having a good trip!!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
They don’t really get clogged, they are flush to the canopy and don’t stick out, the ice built up over them in a sheet. I just used lock de-icer on them. It only happened in a freezing rain storm, to me anyways. I hit a bad storm in Yosemite, and another in Utah, only happened with freezing rain as I was testing them. I like the latches, but I can see them being an issue at times in winter weather. Mind you on my old are Overlander, the t handles froze solid and I couldn’t open them at all.

Stoked you guys are digging your canopies and to address the latches, we have been testing here in NJ and Germany a latch that has a better resistance to icing. So far we are impressed and these have rolled out into production units. The cool thing is they can be used in the older canopies as they have the same cutout pattern.

X4h2zp3.jpg

The new canopys have the third brake light mine has it

Correct, all current canopies include the DOT CHMSL and National Luna LED interior light. If anyone with an older canopy would like to update, please just shoot me an email and i will get you setup.

Lastly, after a visit down to HQ all i can say is we have some sweet new canopy accessories to be released at OEX West! :)

23UdTz8.jpg

aaen

Adventurer
Rin,

I’ll take you up on the offer to update. Ill shoot you over an email on the later on.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaen

Adventurer
Hi Aaen, thanks for the update during your trip and thoughts on the Alucab cap. Useful to hear about the latch issue and ice as it's good to know what to look out for during cold weather. Looking forward to hearing about the cap during the off road part of your trip. Hope you're having a good trip!!

Ill report tonight! When I get wifi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaen

Adventurer
So three days of doing the MOhave trail, well really only 2.5 days, one from east to west and one from west to east, not sure whey it takes people 3-4 days to do this trail unless one is stopping at every little nook and cranny to see the history ;). My purpose was to do the trip as I have been out in the area before looking at a lot of the history and have read up on it quite a bit.

Over all the trail is pretty darn simple to be honest, the part that is closed by the parks which has a detour, is a joke, you could do it in a stock tacoma, no crawl control, or locker engaged. I just drove up and over and was expecting there to be huge wash out sections/etc I would have to get clever with. Nope easy going the entire way, I actually called them and asked them why it was closed, they were amazed anyone made it through? Seriously I could only see the trail being closed to honda civics/crossovers. One would have to not have any common sense.

The spot I was most worried about was Soda lake as they had a rainfall the week previous and I was in contact with parks until they were shut down on the weekend trying to get updates, unfortunately no rangers were out that way. Again, nothing to worry about there, fairly dry, although I could see where someone lost a muffler recently and also found two shackles on the way across. Score.

the water crossing at the end was a bit dicey as the level was up a bit, not much, I edged in to see the depth on the truck it was just below the top of the wheel well (close on a tacoma as the air intake is 2-3 inches above this), backed up put in 4lo, locked the rear up and put it in low gear to keep up the RPMS. Entered into the river and kept a good bow wave in front of me, so it would cause the water to drop beside the truck. Thankfully I knew it had a good rocky bottom, otherwise I may have turned around.

Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed the road/trail, but I was expecting it to be a lot more difficult. From reading up on all the reviews, and watching countless videos (some by well known people in the community) I am shocked that anyone would rate this trail difficult. After a storm, yes Soda lake would not be fun, but you can easily bypass this area, if need be.

Moving onto the canopy, which I must say performed flawlessly, did dust get in, hell yes, how could it not, the tailgate is not sealed, and in order to seal the bed on a tacoma, I might as well just lay a plastic sheet down and go to town with silicone everywhere. Even then I expect dust would get in. Only way to not have it would be to great a positive pressure environment in the back. That would involve some vents/scoops directing air into the canopy I think. One of the reasons why I decided against a habitat/camper and sleeping in the back, I knew that it would be next to impossible to keep the bed dust free, so my sleeping platform would be like pig pens blanket on Charlie Brown.

No shifting at all on the canopy, it stayed solid even when I clipped a branch on a Joshua tree that had overgrown into the path, I cut back to early and the branch missed my cab but connected with the canopy. Not even a scratch on it.

The locks, performed very well, although I can see that with a lot of dust and a bit of rain they would get gummed up a bit, I notice mine were a bit stiff on the back end, but were good on the sides. With the tacoma and the flare on the tailgate, it kicks up a lot of turbulent air behind the truck, which is apparently good for aerodynamics/pressure but it sure makes a mess back there (especially in the winter time), you might as well not even use the rear camera.

I haven't put any accessories other then my James Baroud tent on the roof and that was fairly straight forward. Although I do plan to mount my maxtracs to the underside of the roof using some m8 hardware, hoping the max trac pins will fit, if not I will put hooks and use bungees. Eventually I will hookup an eccotemp L5 or something similar on a mount that is right inside the windoor on the front of the cab, I could see myself adding in a empty shelving unit and using that for recovery gear/etc. Also could see myself putting up a cargo net on one of the sides to hold jackets, etc. I recently bought the tacoma attic from Blueridge Overland, and it is the first piece of kit I have ever contacted a manufacture about in my life and told them what I thought of it. Sad as I love a lot of their gear as it is well thought out, but this was just thrown together and doens't hold a damn thing in it. Sorry off topic, I have a tendency of down that, Look a squirrel.

Looks, well I musts have had about 20 people come up and ask me about the canopy, which I told them what it was and showed them it. They all thought it was very well built and looked great, although they did comment on the price, which I understand, but after I told them what i had been through with other canopy manufactures(fibreglass) I assured them the increased cost was worth it, and to be honest the cost is not that much more then a normal one. My ARE Overland was probably 500 dollars less and is not even half the canopy this one is.

Weight, well I can lift the canopy myself very easily. Two of us installed it in a couple of hours, lots of BS'ing and gabbing going on and talking about other things/etc. Really, if you had everything laid out, and ready to go, I would say 30 mins top, this was kind of a last min decision and we both were not expecting to do this, kind of just right spot at the right time I guess.

the lack of a third brake light doens't really bother me, but it may cause issues in Canada. We have a law that any vehicle equipped with a third brake light must retain it, although I have never seen this enforced, I will be more then likely wiring one in on the canopy in the future.

Oddly, I have noticed a lot less wind noise in the cab of the truck (I haven't sound deadened it yet), and I seem to be getting slight better fuel mileage then when I had the KBvoodoo rack. Not sure why that is, but I suspect I had a lot of turbulence behind the cab with the rack which was causing a lot of noise and possible affecting the aerodynamics? No idea could be the gas, or the warmer temps. Regardless I haven't notice an impact to fuel economy with the tent above the roof line, not that I am getting stellar fuel consumption anyways. Wish this taco's were hilux's, man I miss my old Hilux I had for work in Africa. That sucker went everywhere.

Overall I am super impressed with the canopy, it blows any of the fibreglass manuafactures out of the water (ARE, LEER, SNUGTOP), granted it may not be as sleek, this canopy is a lot more functional and I think looks a lot better then the other offerings out on the market.

if you're on the fence about getting one, I have no problem saying yo more then likely won't be disappointed. Currently sitting in Motel 6 in Beatty Nevada, resting up from all the driving over the past week and getting ready for the Death Valley adventure starting tomorrow sometime. Where I fully intend to take my darn dam and do a lot of exploring, walking and just vegging in the valley while I am here to take in the full park if possible, before starting to make my way back to Northern Alberta for work, :(.

I'll follow up on my review of the canopy after the Death Valley portion, to see if I am still liking it.

Steve

Steve

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Steve, are your lower tailgate or bed corners sealed at all? I have a tailgate seal and the front corners sealed with butyl tape on my 3rd gen with ARE fiberglass shell, and the dust infiltration is fairly minor. I haven't done a lot of silt like you might have encountered on the Mojave Road, but I have done hundreds of miles in DV, Baja etc with bedding in back and it wasn't bad. So if this is all coming in around the AluCab perimeter or through it's doors, I'd be concerned. Thanks for the review; also thanks for the Mojave Road summary as I'm thinking of trying it in the next month, solo, in my stock truck.

robert

Expedition Leader
Also note that the canopy sits only partially on the bed sides, and because of their curvature vs. the canopy's straight edge, there is a different amount of bed side "exposed" at the front vs. the back of the bed. Small visual quirk to my eye. I'm more interested to hear how well this thing holds up in sealing out the elements.

That part annoys me visually (call it an OCD thing) but the real concern is that the second gens have weak bed sides and folks are having issues with them pushing out when carrying loads on them. There are several people who have posted pictures on Tacomaworld of their truck's bedside and more who claim to have had the problem. Mine were starting to move; I could tell when the rear window on my shell wasn't lining up as well as it used to. It was worse on the right side which is the side I carry my kayak over*. I ended up buying some of the braces that a coupe of fabricators are making and that pulled them back in. I don't know if Toyota fixed this on the third gens or not.

* About sixty pounds of touring boat on a Yakima rack but it hasn't been up there in a few years due to being out of the country and a bad shoulder. Over the years I've had everything from multiple boats and bikes to lumber to furniture up there.

danneskjold

I have been using an Alu-Cab Canopy since October and absolutely love it. I had a fiberglass Snugtop Rebel on before and the Alu-Cab is absolutely substantially better.

I paid for mine but have been telling everyone I see that the Alu-Cab Canopy is absolutely the strongest, lightest, most secure and modular canopy on the market. It weighs like 150 lbs, while the Fiberglass ones are 200lbs+ yet the aluminium construction allows them to be much stronger and they won't degrade over time like the fiberglass ones. The Alu-Cab costs more - $3000 vs $2200 out the door for my entry level Snugtop with roof reenforcements but for a modest price increase you get something so much better. And that's for a base model, once you start adding in features the price becomes the same or even cheaper.

The full size doors on the sides allows me to store items in the back but still be able to access them. I end up accessing those doors more than the front main back door due to my rear mounted tire carrier. Additionally, the fact that they are just aluminum instead of a window allows me to more easily conceal the contents.

Something I rarely see people talk about is that the inside has rails running the length from front to back that you can use for additional storage space. I have the Alu-Cab roof mounted table (awesome piece of gear!) in the middle, but on the sides I have a fishing pole and a shovel with plans to add a shotgun as well. These are securely stored up and away and I never have issues with them interfering with other items.

Some people have complained that the canopy doesn't follow the lines of the truck as closely as others and they are right, but this also allows you to step on the top of the bed to access the roof much easier. I put a piece of grip tape there I do it so often.

My biggest complaint about the canopy is that I wish it interfaced better with the Alu-Cab RTT. You basically still have to mount it via loadbars same as every other cap which I think is kind of a shame.

26904499_10156152213904797_8563638197631970245_n.jpg

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
So three days of doing the MOhave trail, well really only 2.5 days, one from east to west and one from west to east, not sure whey it takes people 3-4 days to do this trail unless one is stopping at every little nook and cranny to see the history ;). My purpose was to do the trip as I have been out in the area before looking at a lot of the history and have read up on it quite a bit.

Over all the trail is pretty darn simple to be honest, the part that is closed by the parks which has a detour, is a joke, you could do it in a stock tacoma, no crawl control, or locker engaged. I just drove up and over and was expecting there to be huge wash out sections/etc I would have to get clever with. Nope easy going the entire way, I actually called them and asked them why it was closed, they were amazed anyone made it through? Seriously I could only see the trail being closed to honda civics/crossovers. One would have to not have any common sense.

The spot I was most worried about was Soda lake as they had a rainfall the week previous and I was in contact with parks until they were shut down on the weekend trying to get updates, unfortunately no rangers were out that way. Again, nothing to worry about there, fairly dry, although I could see where someone lost a muffler recently and also found two shackles on the way across. Score.

the water crossing at the end was a bit dicey as the level was up a bit, not much, I edged in to see the depth on the truck it was just below the top of the wheel well (close on a tacoma as the air intake is 2-3 inches above this), backed up put in 4lo, locked the rear up and put it in low gear to keep up the RPMS. Entered into the river and kept a good bow wave in front of me, so it would cause the water to drop beside the truck. Thankfully I knew it had a good rocky bottom, otherwise I may have turned around.

Don’t get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed the road/trail, but I was expecting it to be a lot more difficult. From reading up on all the reviews, and watching countless videos (some by well known people in the community) I am shocked that anyone would rate this trail difficult. After a storm, yes Soda lake would not be fun, but you can easily bypass this area, if need be.

Moving onto the canopy, which I must say performed flawlessly, did dust get in, hell yes, how could it not, the tailgate is not sealed, and in order to seal the bed on a tacoma, I might as well just lay a plastic sheet down and go to town with silicone everywhere. Even then I expect dust would get in. Only way to not have it would be to great a positive pressure environment in the back. That would involve some vents/scoops directing air into the canopy I think. One of the reasons why I decided against a habitat/camper and sleeping in the back, I knew that it would be next to impossible to keep the bed dust free, so my sleeping platform would be like pig pens blanket on Charlie Brown.

No shifting at all on the canopy, it stayed solid even when I clipped a branch on a Joshua tree that had overgrown into the path, I cut back to early and the branch missed my cab but connected with the canopy. Not even a scratch on it.

The locks, performed very well, although I can see that with a lot of dust and a bit of rain they would get gummed up a bit, I notice mine were a bit stiff on the back end, but were good on the sides. With the tacoma and the flare on the tailgate, it kicks up a lot of turbulent air behind the truck, which is apparently good for aerodynamics/pressure but it sure makes a mess back there (especially in the winter time), you might as well not even use the rear camera.

I haven’t put any accessories other then my James Baroud tent on the roof and that was fairly straight forward. Although I do plan to mount my maxtracs to the underside of the roof using some m8 hardware, hoping the max trac pins will fit, if not I will put hooks and use bungees. Eventually I will hookup an eccotemp L5 or something similar on a mount that is right inside the windoor on the front of the cab, I could see myself adding in a empty shelving unit and using that for recovery gear/etc. Also could see myself putting up a cargo net on one of the sides to hold jackets, etc. I recently bought the tacoma attic from Blueridge Overland, and it is the first piece of kit I have ever contacted a manufacture about in my life and told them what I thought of it. Sad as I love a lot of their gear as it is well thought out, but this was just thrown together and doens’t hold a damn thing in it. Sorry off topic, I have a tendency of down that, Look a squirrel.

Looks, well I musts have had about 20 people come up and ask me about the canopy, which I told them what it was and showed them it. They all thought it was very well built and looked great, although they did comment on the price, which I understand, but after I told them what i had been through with other canopy manufactures(fibreglass) I assured them the increased cost was worth it, and to be honest the cost is not that much more then a normal one. My ARE Overland was probably 500 dollars less and is not even half the canopy this one is.

Weight, well I can lift the canopy myself very easily. Two of us installed it in a couple of hours, lots of BS’ing and gabbing going on and talking about other things/etc. Really, if you had everything laid out, and ready to go, I would say 30 mins top, this was kind of a last min decision and we both were not expecting to do this, kind of just right spot at the right time I guess.

the lack of a third brake light doens’t really bother me, but it may cause issues in Canada. We have a law that any vehicle equipped with a third brake light must retain it, although I have never seen this enforced, I will be more then likely wiring one in on the canopy in the future.

Oddly, I have noticed a lot less wind noise in the cab of the truck (I haven’t sound deadened it yet), and I seem to be getting slight better fuel mileage then when I had the KBvoodoo rack. Not sure why that is, but I suspect I had a lot of turbulence behind the cab with the rack which was causing a lot of noise and possible affecting the aerodynamics? No idea could be the gas, or the warmer temps. Regardless I haven’t notice an impact to fuel economy with the tent above the roof line, not that I am getting stellar fuel consumption anyways. Wish this taco’s were hilux’s, man I miss my old Hilux I had for work in Africa. That sucker went everywhere.

Overall I am super impressed with the canopy, it blows any of the fibreglass manuafactures out of the water (ARE, LEER, SNUGTOP), granted it may not be as sleek, this canopy is a lot more functional and I think looks a lot better then the other offerings out on the market.

if you’re on the fence about getting one, I have no problem saying yo more then likely won’t be disappointed. Currently sitting in Motel 6 in Beatty Nevada, resting up from all the driving over the past week and getting ready for the Death Valley adventure starting tomorrow sometime. Where I fully intend to take my darn dam and do a lot of exploring, walking and just vegging in the valley while I am here to take in the full park if possible, before starting to make my way back to Northern Alberta for work, :(.

I’ll follow up on my review of the canopy after the Death Valley portion, to see if I am still liking it.

Steve

Steve

Steve, stoked to hear your thoughts on the canopy and thank you for the testimonials! :) Drop me an email with your info when you can for that CHMSL kit.

That part annoys me visually (call it an OCD thing) but the real concern is that the second gens have weak bed sides and folks are having issues with them pushing out when carrying loads on them. There are several people who have posted pictures on Tacomaworld of their truck's bedside and more who claim to have had the problem. Mine were starting to move; I could tell when the rear window on my shell wasn't lining up as well as it used to. It was worse on the right side which is the side I carry my kayak over*. I ended up buying some of the braces that a coupe of fabricators are making and that pulled them back in. I don't know if Toyota fixed this on the third gens or not.

* About sixty pounds of touring boat on a Yakima rack but it hasn't been up there in a few years due to being out of the country and a bad shoulder. Over the years I've had everything from multiple boats and bikes to lumber to furniture up there.

I know the Tacoma bed sides are known for this and adding a set of stiffeners cannot hurt, but the Explorer canopy's mounting and design should add some rigidity to the bed sides. Where most use a "J" bolt to the track, our mounts secure the canopy to the bed much more securely and the aluminum construction has much less flex and greater strength.

tmTiuHF.png

I have been using an Alu-Cab Canopy since October and absolutely love it. I had a fiberglass Snugtop Rebel on before and the Alu-Cab is absolutely substantially better.

I paid for mine but have been telling everyone I see that the Alu-Cab Canopy is absolutely the strongest, lightest, most secure and modular canopy on the market. It weighs like 150 lbs, while the Fiberglass ones are 200lbs+ yet the aluminium construction allows them to be much stronger and they won't degrade over time like the fiberglass ones. The Alu-Cab costs more - $3000 vs $2200 out the door for my entry level Snugtop with roof reenforcements but for a modest price increase you get something so much better. And that's for a base model, once you start adding in features the price becomes the same or even cheaper.

The full size doors on the sides allows me to store items in the back but still be able to access them. I end up accessing those doors more than the front main back door due to my rear mounted tire carrier. Additionally, the fact that they are just aluminum instead of a window allows me to more easily conceal the contents.

Something I rarely see people talk about is that the inside has rails running the length from front to back that you can use for additional storage space. I have the Alu-Cab roof mounted table (awesome piece of gear!) in the middle, but on the sides I have a fishing pole and a shovel with plans to add a shotgun as well. These are securely stored up and away and I never have issues with them interfering with other items.

Some people have complained that the canopy doesn't follow the lines of the truck as closely as others and they are right, but this also allows you to step on the top of the bed to access the roof much easier. I put a piece of grip tape there I do it so often.

My biggest complaint about the canopy is that I wish it interfaced better with the Alu-Cab RTT. You basically still have to mount it via loadbars same as every other cap which I think is kind of a shame.

View attachment 433700

Stoked to hear you are loving your canopy and thanks for spreading the word! Aluminum canopies are almost all you see in ZA and when you take the functionality in to account you can see why. Our truck culture has always been around fiberglass canopies and aluminum canopies have a bad rep of cheap contractor equipment. Until now... :)

The internal tracks are a HUGE advantage that gets lost in the list of features, but like you said allow endless mounting possibilities inside. We have a few guys with pelican cases, fire extinguishers our table kit and all types of gear on their canopy ceilings leaving more space below for heavier kit. The best part is they accept standard M8 bolt heads, no extra parts or special bolts needed!

We recently have created a "low pro" load bar mount for our canopy to tent mounting. This now allows the tent to sit only 1" above the canopy for a more streamline look. http://www.alu-cab.co.za/images/fitment/Load-Bar-To-Canopy-Fitment-Instruction.pdf

robert

Expedition Leader
That definitely looks like a better mounting solution. If they had been out when I bought my shell I probably would have bought one. Of course now I want a camper. LOL It's always something...

danneskjold

Stoked to hear you are loving your canopy and thanks for spreading the word! Aluminum canopies are almost all you see in ZA and when you take the functionality in to account you can see why. Our truck culture has always been around fiberglass canopies and aluminum canopies have a bad rep of cheap contractor equipment. Until now... :)

The internal tracks are a HUGE advantage that gets lost in the list of features, but like you said allow endless mounting possibilities inside. We have a few guys with pelican cases, fire extinguishers our table kit and all types of gear on their canopy ceilings leaving more space below for heavier kit. The best part is they accept standard M8 bolt heads, no extra parts or special bolts needed!

We recently have created a "low pro" load bar mount for our canopy to tent mounting. This now allows the tent to sit only 1" above the canopy for a more streamline look. http://www.alu-cab.co.za/images/fitment/Load-Bar-To-Canopy-Fitment-Instruction.pdf

That's awesome! I just realized it will kill my shadow awning height though (I'm 6'2) -_- - do you have pricing on this? Do you run the alu_cab_usa IG?

Also - what's your email? Would be interested in one of those breaklights.

aaen

Adventurer
The front corners are sealed, I didn’t. Have time to get a tailgate seal after getting the canopy. Wish I had, all of my kit is literally tan colour now, haha. Looking at the inside of the canopy, it doesn’t appear a bit of dust came in through the Windoors or the rear of the canopy, but instead all from around the tailgate and those stupid cubbie holes.

The latches/door locks are proving to be quite dust resistant, I’ll know more about the winter use here shortly when I return to the fair north, ugh. Dreading that part already.

Rin, I’ll be intouch about the rear brake light shortly, also if your looking for a tester for those latches on the all cab, I regularly see, negative 40 where I work and run through a car wash weekly to keep grim to a minimum. Be a good test to see if they gum up. Haha.

I should also talk yo you about features coming out. I’ve got a few ideas and if I don’t have to get creative to do them myself, I’d rather buy and save the tinkering time.

Steve

Steve, are your lower tailgate or bed corners sealed at all? I have a tailgate seal and the front corners sealed with butyl tape on my 3rd gen with ARE fiberglass shell, and the dust infiltration is fairly minor. I haven’t done a lot of silt like you might have encountered on the Mojave Road, but I have done hundreds of miles in DV, Baja etc with bedding in back and it wasn’t bad. So if this is all coming in around the AluCab perimeter or through it’s doors, I’d be concerned. Thanks for the review; also thanks for the Mojave Road summary as I’m thinking of trying it in the next month, solo, in my stock truck.

aaen

Adventurer
Well just getting out of 5-6days of Death Valley. I could spend another week there but I have other parts of the trip planned, and I was in need of a hot shower, that and I brought bedding for warmer temps, which were expected. I only got warm temps the last three nights, thankfully. As awesome as the hot springs were at saline valley, it was time to leave this morning. I literally covered the entire park, I think and hit up the areas I was really interested in seeing. I will be going back and tying in Moab on the next trip. Definitely need to do some more exploring on the West road, also learning that the nps trail rating system is way out of whack. The only one worth rating as difficult was mengel pass ( on way to barker ranch)and that was easy with the Long bed taco on BHP-51's shocks, I touched the skid twice, more like scraped.

Anyways, canopy proved to work flawlessly, no movement or dust intrusion at all, all the dust as I mention in the post above appears to have come in from the tailgate. My arb elements fridge is literally tan brown right now, ugh, this is going to be a pain to clean everything. Y tan trash around, had about 3”'s of dust in/on it, shocked when I took that off today.

I've yet to wire in the Led light at the back of the carnopy and will do so once I get a third brake light and install that at the same time. But it looks fairly straightforward, although, I notice there is no differentiation btw the cables, but being led it shouldn't matter, I think.

Locks, I am still liking, although as mentioned before I can see them being more of a pain the winter time, time will tell though. My rear door passenger side one feels a bit gummy, but I presume that is from all the dust. I'll pressure wash everything tomorrow, and get it all cleaned up.

Rear windows I actually like that it is glass, or I think it is glass, only drawback is that I would like to see a bit of tint on the window as right now there is a clear view into the bed and what's stored there. Easy fix, and kind of surprised that it isn't like that from the factory. No biggie, 30-40 bucks at a window shop and voila.

Now to find a tail gate seal to minimize the dust intrusion, any recommrndations?

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne