Anyone Bought Alucab Cap/Canopy in US? Thoughts?

aaen

Adventurer
I'll have to look into that. I seriously need to stop spending time on expedition portal and taco world, its like a bloody hole, when I get a chance. I might as well just throw my wallet in the toilet.

dman93

Adventurer
I use the same tailgate gasket as just posted, though without the RokBlok. Read the installation instructions specifically for the Taco ... it makes a difference. I also used duct tape to seal the slots that the bed cubby door tabs fit in. Made a huge difference. A guy here on ExPo or maybe TacomaWorld sells a nice 3D printed cubby seal, but the duct tape has worked for about a year for me.

Gridikal

I've been running my Alucab since august and I love it. Here are some of my thoughts:

• I run a James Baroud Space XXL and the canopy side doors do make contact with the tent in the up position.
  • The latches are no fun in icy conditions.
  • I replaced the factory bed and tailgate caps with steel and the canopy fits like a glove.
  • That said, the canopy is a bit narrower than the bed, but I use it as a step to jump up into the tent.
  • I really wish the t-track was welded closed on the ends - my tent tried to jump ship on my down a dirt road in Idaho.
  • I had a key come out of its' plastic housing and had to super-glue it back in.
  • Also of note is by replacing the bedside caps, the front of the canopy sits closer to the front of the bed box. I've not had any leaks there.

IMG_0036_2.jpg

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Here's a great example of what can be done with a Tradesman.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tradesman-truck-tops-commercial-style-topper-shell.504188/

fullsizerender-21-jpg.2237016

img_6038-jpg.2237024

img_6160-jpg.2237039

aaen

Adventurer
Yeah, saw that on instagram, looks like an over engineered/design that complicates the process. I'd rather drill two holes in the indoor, install the maxtrax mounting pins and call it a day. Easy to waterproof as well. Or get some of the front rung ring tie downs on the m8 system. And secure them to the ceiling of the canopy.

Louisd75

Adventurer
My AluCab leaks like a ********. Leaks through the rubber trim around the window glass (front window and back window). Leaks through the rivets that hold the roof rack tracks on. Leaks around the perimeter of the side doors. And the gap between the tailgate and back hatch was big enough to put my hand through. Dust doesn't even have to try to get in. The locks freeze, which wasn't a big deal, but the latches also freeze which is a pain in the ***. Plan on buying a tube of RTV and extra foam rubber bulb material to chase the leaks with. I picked mine up at Adventure Ready but did the install myself due to the shop guys being at SEMA. Tom was helpful and wanted to make things right, but part of the problem was on my end as I live a couple hours away and was leaving the country for a few months, so I couldn't really give them the opportunity to make it right. I've heard that they do good work, but most of the leaks I've had weren't obvious until we had a few good rains.

I was a bit bummed at the amount of work I had to do to make it right, but I'm handy and it wasn't the end of the world. I went with Alu Cab because of their construction and the vertical back hatch. There is a large section of bed rail that is exposed due to the bed rails tapering, which is a bit annoying cosmetically, but I found that it's possible to use that part of the bed rail to climb up onto the roof of the canopy, which is pretty helpful.

I'm also not sure what they used to coat the canopy, but it is super slippery when it's wet, especially the roof.

Oh, and of you already have Yakima roof rack stuff, their landing pads that are meant for roof tracks will fit the Alu Cab tracks. If I'd known this beforehand I probably wouldn't have bought the AluCab rack.

Also, why is gray a special order now?

Would I buy another one? Yes. It was honestly a bit of a letdown to have so many little issues though.

35xj

Adventurer
Mine has been pretty good. Build quality is great. My only real complaint is the gap around the tailgate. It's huge. Haven't really had the time to try to fix it yet. But it's pretty clear the canopy wasn't designed as a perfect fit for the tacoma

phsycle

Adventurer
I like the idea behind these, but the pictures make it look like the fit is off. The length seems to be much shorter than the Tacoma bed length. Is this the case or just bad photography? And the price. $3,100 seems a little too much.

DSC08129.jpg

Last edited:

Louisd75

Adventurer
Could you share some photos of the gap? I'm considering one of these canopies right now and would like to know what I'm getting into.

20171107_132813.jpg

The gap between the rubber seal and top of the tailgate is large enough that I can push my fingers through it and wrap them around the tailgate. I stacked bulb seal on top of the existing bulb seal to close it off, but I think I'm going to rivet a piece of aluminum angle to the bottom of the hatch and mount the bulb seal to the angle.

aaen

Adventurer
Emailed them over to you. IT fits way better on a 3rd Gen which is what they were designed for. My internet is not allowing me to upload for some reason.

Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
My AluCab leaks like a ********. Leaks through the rubber trim around the window glass (front window and back window). Leaks through the rivets that hold the roof rack tracks on. Leaks around the perimeter of the side doors. And the gap between the tailgate and back hatch was big enough to put my hand through. Dust doesn't even have to try to get in. The locks freeze, which wasn't a big deal, but the latches also freeze which is a pain in the ***. Plan on buying a tube of RTV and extra foam rubber bulb material to chase the leaks with. I picked mine up at Adventure Ready but did the install myself due to the shop guys being at SEMA. Tom was helpful and wanted to make things right, but part of the problem was on my end as I live a couple hours away and was leaving the country for a few months, so I couldn't really give them the opportunity to make it right. I've heard that they do good work, but most of the leaks I've had weren't obvious until we had a few good rains.

I was a bit bummed at the amount of work I had to do to make it right, but I'm handy and it wasn't the end of the world. I went with Alu Cab because of their construction and the vertical back hatch. There is a large section of bed rail that is exposed due to the bed rails tapering, which is a bit annoying cosmetically, but I found that it's possible to use that part of the bed rail to climb up onto the roof of the canopy, which is pretty helpful.

I'm also not sure what they used to coat the canopy, but it is super slippery when it's wet, especially the roof.

Oh, and of you already have Yakima roof rack stuff, their landing pads that are meant for roof tracks will fit the Alu Cab tracks. If I'd known this beforehand I probably wouldn't have bought the AluCab rack.

Also, why is gray a special order now?

Would I buy another one? Yes. It was honestly a bit of a letdown to have so many little issues though.

Damn! Have you told Tom about this? Please shoot me an email at rino@ok4wd.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior