Anyone Bought Alucab Cap/Canopy in US? Thoughts?

ptaks

Anyone have pics or dimensions of the cupboard? Curious if I would want 2 installed. Looks like a great place to pack one side cooking, other side recovery/aux power. Also wondering how much width is left for possible fridge if cupboard on each side

Hi, I just got mine and I don't think I have all of the hardware and the link on Alu-Cab for fitment on a 16 Tacoma seems to be down. Can anyone post the instructions on fitting these brackets together? Thanks.

40tude

Adventurer
Has anyone come up with a solution for sealing these to the bed other than silicone? I’d really like a less permanent solution.
Thanks

aaen

Adventurer
Silicone? Who Installed your canopy? Every reputable installer/sdealer uses a 2/3 bulb rubber gasket seal. No issues with leaking.

If you mean at the front of the tacoma? There is a gap there but it is there due to how the tacoma is manufactured and affects all canopies. No way around it but to use silicone.

40tude

Adventurer
I installed it, there is no dealer near me. Are you saying there should be an additional gasket to the one that is on the bottom of the canopy? And yes, I do understand the issue at the front, I have taken care of it, but still have water intrusion on the sides.
Thanks

aaen

Adventurer
No, I am saying that any shop that installs these uses a 2 or 3 bulb rubber butyl gasket to seal them. Nobody uses silicone.

40tude

Adventurer
Just to be clear... you are saying it should be installed with an additional gasket to the one that’s on the bottom of the canopy?

4xdog

Explorer
A 2015 Tacoma joined my fleet a year and a half ago, alongside my 2003 Tacoma. It's been in California most of the time while I live in Missouri, so it's not getting driven much or built up with the desired features particularly fast...

The Alu-Cab canopy is one of the options being considered, as is an UnderCover Ridgelander aluminum tonneau. That pesky Gen 2 higher-sides-than-the-ends bed is a problem with several of the options on my list. The Ridgelander, in fact, isn't supported for the Gen 2 Tacoma.

But there may be an option that's not a wider gap-filling bulb seal. Perhaps others have tried this, in which case feedback would be helpful.

KB Voodoo makes a range of fabricated sheet metal products for Tacomas, including a tailgate edge and bed side rail caps to replace the plastic originals. As they're sheet metal rather than molded plastic, they're a lot "flatter". The lower profile of the KB Voodoo bed side rails might allow either an Alu-Cab canopy and/or Ridgelander tonneau to fit better, especially sealing around the tailgate.

2S2D3848.jpg

2S2D3867.jpg

aaen

Adventurer
Just to be clear... you are saying it should be installed with an additional gasket to the one that’s on the bottom of the canopy?

you asked about silicone being the only way to get these to seal. I said it wasn't needed because any reputable shop would use a 2 or 3 bulb gasket on the bottom of the camper. If there is one used on your install and it still leaks, you need to check how you installed it because it was done incorrectly and either remove and reinstall with a new gasket or reseat it properly.

Note: Only one gasket is required, zero silicone is required to get a good seal.

PnwShepherds

Just scored one of these myself. I definitely need to address the gaps in the bed at the cab and at the tailgate.

Are there specific M8 bolts to use for the interior tracks? I've seen mention of square cupped M8s.

I'm going to use bolts to mount recovery boards, either directly to the bolts or maybe eyelets and then using bungy chords. Bungy will be quicker.

I'll probably use quick fists for a shovel.

PnwShepherds

Thanks.
Are you using their crossbars? Since they take m8, does it work with front runner accessories?

If not using the crossbars, how would you mount an rtt

CMARJEEP

Observer
I ordered one last week for my 3rd gen. Got an email that they are backordered for a few weeks while they wait for another shipment unfortunately. Really excited to get it setup though. I have an Autohome tent that was just delivered that I'm putting on it.

tplane2

Bumping an old thread here with hope for some measurement assitance.

Looking for the outside dimensions of a long bed Alu-Cab Canopy. Just length and width.

Trying to make this work on a 1st Gen Tundra, which I think is very close as the AT Habitats work with both.

Appreciate any help

Ramjet

Explorer
Bumping an old thread here with hope for some measurement assitance.

Looking for the outside dimensions of a long bed Alu-Cab Canopy. Just length and width.

Trying to make this work on a 1st Gen Tundra, which I think is very close as the AT Habitats work with both.

Appreciate any help
Call Ok4WD and talk to Rin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior