Anyone Bought Alucab Cap/Canopy in US? Thoughts?

NYON

Hi,

New poster here, originally I posted this question in the "General Modifications" forum but haven't gotten any responses so thought I'd ask here also! I searched for this topic but haven't found anything so apologies if this has been asked before...:Wow1:

Was wondering if anyone has purchased an Alucab cap/canopy for their Tacoma and how they've found it. If anyone has would be great to hear how you've found the fit and finish. Have you mounted a roof top tent to it....does it seem sturdy? How has it fared with the weather in the US? Was there anything they could have done better?

If no one has bought one...was there a particular reason?

The Alucab caps look interesting but cost more than the aluminum options we can get here and I wasn't sure if anyone has actually bought one. Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light on their experience with them!!

Atipps

I put one on my first gen Tacoma and love it. Its unique and sturdy. The frame of the shell is strong but they could have made the side doors a little thicker. Also a thing to note is that the latches don't fair well with ice and snow.

Clutch

<---Pass
Any problems with it leaking around the bed rails? Appears to be a little ill fitting. Looks like a cap that was made for a 1st Gen Tacoma, and trying to make it work on a 3rd Gen.

Wonder if you're better off getting a Tradesman? They can build you pretty much anything you want.

DSCF2278-e1409512948305.jpeg

Last edited:

towee

I've only had mine a couple of weeks so far it's rock solid I have the gen 3 tent and shadow awn on it. It's my first cap/canopy so nothing to compare it to and I haven't had it very long anyway. It does only sit on half the bed rails but it seems sealed well only time will tell. Agree with the above poster about the doors seeing thin but if they hold up no worries. Initial impressions are I like it a lot.

NYON

Also note that the canopy sits only partially on the bed sides, and because of their curvature vs. the canopy's straight edge, there is a different amount of bed side "exposed" at the front vs. the back of the bed. Small visual quirk to my eye. I'm more interested to hear how well this thing holds up in sealing out the elements.

Thanks for the pics and heads up about Aaen's cap install. Hopefully he could let us know how the cap fared in his trip to Death Valley. Interesting point about the cap not sitting on the bed rails uniformly. I checked out the Alucab video you linked to and it looks like the cap covers more of the bedrails of the Toyota Hilux (see 0:31 in vid)...but it's hard to be 100% certain from the video. Interesting that they decided to expose more of the Tacoma bedrails.

Like you said it will be interesting to hear how the cap keeps out the elements.

NYON

I put one on my first gen Tacoma and love it. Its unique and sturdy. The frame of the shell is strong but they could have made the side doors a little thicker. Also a thing to note is that the latches don't fair well with ice and snow.

Definitely agree, the caps look great!! Utilitarian + not flashy...Combo increasingly difficult to come by these days!! :ylsmoke:

Could you elaborate on the latch issues with ice and snow? Do the latches get clogged up/frozen with ice or snow or does the mechanism freeze or??? That could be an issue here in the north east...:Wow1:

02rangeredge

Adventurer

out of curiosity, any pictures of your 1st gen with the cap?

NYON

I've only had mine a couple of weeks so far it's rock solid I have the gen 3 tent and shadow awn on it. It's my first cap/canopy so nothing to compare it to and I haven't had it very long anyway. It does only sit on half the bed rails but it seems sealed well only time will tell. Agree with the above poster about the doors seeing thin but if they hold up no worries. Initial impressions are I like it a lot.

Wow, that's a great setup!! Instant camp basically wherever!!:wings: Maybe if you could let us know how the cap does during your trips that would be great! Always interested to hear about real user experiences.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm not a Taco man myself, mostly was looking for Alucab opinions- but man that cap would send me straight to Tradesman

If you click on the links in my post, it will send you their website...pretty much the sky is the limit for what you want.

Also thread on Tacoma World. Was conversing with a member on there, saying his cab over that was original built for a Ranger is 15 years old and still going strong...and that is with trips to Baja.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tradesman-truck-tops-commercial-style-topper-shell.504188/

towee

Wow, that's a great setup!! Instant camp basically wherever!!:wings: Maybe if you could let us know how the cap does during your trips that would be great! Always interested to hear about real user experiences.

Would be happy to. Not a lot of real user reviews on this exact setup and seen some already for sale so a little concerning but I've wanted it since the day I learned about it a few years ago. The tent is heavy my guess is out of the 3 it's the 1 I could live without but I do love it and ease of use is awesome. The awning is just ridiculous I can't imagine there is a better one out there but it is big in the bag and hanging off the side of your vehicle. The canopy kind of ties it all together but honestly it's the 1 item I'd imagine will definitely stay on my truck. I have a weatherproof drawer system (truckvault) so I'm not overly concerned with dust or water but hoping it performs well.

I will say all 3 items stand alone seem pretty terrific but throwing all 3 on a tacoma might be a little much time will tell I'm enjoying the setup now and dealing with the negatives might just be the honeymoon stage. As long as you understand what putting that much weight on your tacoma is going to do to your truck you will be thrilled with the actual gear from Alu Cab.

aaen

Adventurer
Well, I'm currently on my trip and had it for three days now. Originally had and ARE overland canopy, moved to a kB voodoo and now I'm onto this, kind of a deal I couldn't pass up. Wasn't an intended purchase, just kind of right spot at the right time.

Anyways, the canopy is above and beyond anything I've had or use to date. My are overland was plagued with issues from day one, leaking on every window, horrible install, then a dealer dropped it and mashed up the corners. Needless to say it was sold. I grabbed a mid rack kbvooddoo as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but needed a spot to mount a rtt. That was alright, but really a rack is not a good solution for my needs/wants. The alucab canopy so far is rock solid and is going to meet my needs, well I think.

Pros:
-seal is amazing to the bed zero leaks
-windoors have zero leaks
-back door zero leaks
-durable
-I like the look
-strong as hell
-latches
-easily mount accessories to the inside of the canopy with m8 bolts in the rails, oh the options, maxtracs on ceiling, eccitemp shower in Windsor, ladder for rtt, propane tank, cargo netting, dead hooker ;), etc

I tested for leaks with a pressure washer in Kingman AZ for awhile, the bed and all my gear was bone dry.

Cons:
-latches, as mentioned there a bit finicky in snow/ice (lock de-ice is your best friend)
- fit with rails, I'd like it to be shaped more to the Tacoma rails but it works well. It's a Hiltz conversion as far as I can tell.
- no third brake light. Well none in mine anyways, I may add one, will see though on how the rear bumper works.
- the darn panel at the end of the bed, be nice if the windoor extended. Not a big deal though, the current wind doors are huge.and as eatsleepwolf mentioned great spot to mount items.

Overall, I think this is the right unit for me. So far I'm impressed, granted my trip so far has been asphalt based. The off-road part of my trip starts tomorrow with Mohave Road, then on off to Death Valley for about two weeks. I'll post up a review after I get back or during the trip if I have time, and go from there.

I'd post up a few more images but my iPad is failing me.

Aaen

-

aaen

Adventurer
They don’t really get clogged, they are flush to the canopy and don’t stick out, the ice built up over them in a sheet. I just used lock de-icer on them. It only happened in a freezing rain storm, to me anyways. I hit a bad storm in Yosemite, and another in Utah, only happened with freezing rain as I was testing them. I like the latches, but I can see them being an issue at times in winter weather. Mind you on my old are Overlander, the t handles froze solid and I couldn’t open them at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles