Which torsion key for a 2004 Chevy Express AWD?

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I just purchased the lowest priced ever 2004 Chevy Express AWD at an auction.

auction-queen.JPG

It needs a new front windshield, rear view mirrors and a new transmission but everything else seems solid.

My plans for it are to be a go-nearly anywhere family vacation vehicle.

I live three miles from East coast beaches, so my first question is how do they do in the sand?

My second question is, Has anyone found one torsion key to be any better than another? I'd like to gain 2" to 3" in the front and am taking the suggestion to stick 1993 - 1999 suburban leaf springs in the rear to give approximately 3" in the back.

With 2.5 inches of lift, what is the largest size tires I can stick underneath? I don't mind a little cutting and trimming to keep them from rubbing.

I've done the Ford 250 thing for the last 10 years and loved my baby, but with the little 4.2 6 cylinder she was grossly under powered and although I purchased most of the kit from U Joint, I never got around to installing my 4x4 kit on the Ford. If anyone wants a good deal on a Sterling 10.5 rear, front Dana 60, some aluminum F 250 rims and a 2002 F 350 transfer case.....

Back to my Auction Queen... The plans for now are a torsion key lift and new shocks up front, Suburban springs and new shocks in the rear, new rims and the largest tires that fit, wider would also be better because it will see a good amount of sand. More than likely an Eaton E locker or ARB air locker.

Depending on the performance on sand I may or may not make the transfer case swap for real 4x4.

Inside I'll be upgrading all the electronics. Android computer as a stereo/ AV. Bunk beds for two kids in the back with their own windows 10 computers mounted in the bunks.

I can weld and have access to relatively cheap aluminum so I'll be adding Aluminum front and rear bumpers as well as an aluminum safari rack to hold the solar panels, skis, kayaks and other adventure gear and maybe a platform large enough for a small tent and dual side ladders. On the rear bumper I'll add a triple hitch to carry my old KLR 650.

That's the plans for now, I'll start pulling the transmission on Monday. Once I get the project underway and a name for the beast (maybe just "Auction Queen", I'll start a build thread.

Price? I paid $950 That's nine hundred fifty US Dollars. :)

Any suggestions on Torsion Keys and maximum tire size would be greatly appreciated.

Long term plans? Just dreaming.... Add a Turbo, a 4L80e Transmission a Ford 9" rear and long travel suspension all the way around...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94