Wheels for my WK2 Grand Cherokee: Rock Stars?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I have the Jeep 20” wheels that came stock. I want strong wheels, strong for off-roading, but nice looking on the street. I’m considering Rock Stars — I’ve noticed them on the street and I like the star design on them, I like the way they look. Are they decently strong for trail use?

For reference my 20” Jeep wheels are these: https://goo.gl/images/UCZjoJ

I am considering Rock Star XD775, 17”: https://goo.gl/jWQyvD

For tires I am considering 32” Goodyear Wrangler MT/R® Kevlar: https://goo.gl/hLcuvV

So, are the Rock Star XD775s decently strong for the trail? Remember, I have a Grand Cherokee with the stock quadra lift suspension and rear ELSD. So I don’t rock crawl or Rubicon but I do explore and have had 1 front wheel up in the air, and then as I go over the obstacle the weight transfers and the heavy engine drops the front end (slowly!) to leave the opposite rear wheel up in the air. For a time, the Grand is supported by only 2 wheels.

That has never looked right. I'm wondering what it feels like to be teetter tottering?

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I’ve never run anything but factory Jeep wheels on every Jeep (8 of them so far) I’ve ever owned. Hard core off roading in the XJ and never once had a concern or issue with strength or durability. Spend your money elsewhere.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Looks good. I like the white and black combo.

I had thought about going aftermarket when replacing my 20's. Just figured if save some dough and go with stock 18" JK Sahara wheels with tires. That way I could have a full size matching spare.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

Weeds

Adventurer

I had thought about going aftermarket when replacing my 20's. Just figured if save some dough and go with stock 18" JK Sahara wheels with tires. That way I could have a full size matching spare.

How did the Sahara wheels fit? There are conflicting opinions on the internet. Do they extend farther outside the body? I have a diesel with the large rotors, some people have had the Sahara wheels rub a caliper.

Any help would be appreciated and a picture would be great.

Thanks.

TT-Tacoma

Observer

How did the Sahara wheels fit? There are conflicting opinions on the internet. Do they extend farther outside the body? I have a diesel with the large rotors, some people have had the Sahara wheels rub a caliper.

Thanks.
Sent you a PM

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sppotlight

I got the Black Rhinos, and BFG KO2s in 255/70-18s. Thanks for your opinions, they helped.
Those look great! And I noticed the star pattern the spokes make, subtle but strong, much better than the other wheels.

I went with black 17" Mopar Rubicon wheels and love em on my WK2. Dark wheels are far superior to chrome.

mmm...beer

Thanks.

I ran Sahara takeoffs on my 16 Laredo for a minute. They rubbed the caliper slightly and I had to add 5/8” spacers, which I didn’t like. I ended up selling them back on CL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TT-Tacoma

Observer

Thanks.

I ran Sahara takeoffs on my 16 Laredo for a minute. They rubbed the caliper slightly and I had to add 5/8” spacers, which I didn’t like. I ended up selling them back on CL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's interesting. I don't have any clearance issues with mine. And mine are on our 14 Overland Eco-D so mine has the bigger HD brakes.

Maybe the Laredo has a different backspace requirement. Or did you try the 17" Sahara wheels?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mmm...beer

That's interesting. I don't have any clearance issues with mine. And mine are on our 14 Overland Eco-D so mine has the bigger HD brakes.

Maybe the Laredo has a different backspace requirement. Or did you try the 17" Sahara wheels?

18" for sure. Only the front calipers rubbed. I heard a weird grinding noise coming from the front end of the Jeep right after install. I couldn't pinpoint until I took the wheels off and noticed about 1/8" of material cleared out of the wheel where a caliper clip sticks out. I honestly tried to run it at freeway speed for a minute thinking it might just rub clear. I also thought about grinding down the clip a little, but that didn't seem safe. Only option was to add spacers. I didn't want to go with 1 1/4" spacers and the 5/8" lug-centric options from the auto sports store felt sketchy. It took a minute to get them centered on the hub between the wheel.

Ultimately, I sold the takeoffs on CL and got my money back. Currently saving up to buy a combo that will fit clean without modifying or adding stress to crucial components.

Back on topic... that's my experience with JK Sahara Takeoffs and a +1 for finding an aftermarket or alternate OEM WK2 spec solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94