Wheels for my WK2 Grand Cherokee: Rock Stars?

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
I have the Jeep 20” wheels that came stock. I want strong wheels, strong for off-roading, but nice looking on the street. I’m considering Rock Stars — I’ve noticed them on the street and I like the star design on them, I like the way they look. Are they decently strong for trail use?

For reference my 20” Jeep wheels are these: https://goo.gl/images/UCZjoJ

I am considering Rock Star XD775, 17”: https://goo.gl/jWQyvD

For tires I am considering 32” Goodyear Wrangler MT/R® Kevlar: https://goo.gl/hLcuvV

So, are the Rock Star XD775s decently strong for the trail? Remember, I have a Grand Cherokee with the stock quadra lift suspension and rear ELSD. So I don’t rock crawl or Rubicon but I do explore and have had 1 front wheel up in the air, and then as I go over the obstacle the weight transfers and the heavy engine drops the front end (slowly!) to leave the opposite rear wheel up in the air. For a time, the Grand is supported by only 2 wheels.

yota man

So, are the Rock Star XD775s decently strong for the trail?

To answer the question you actually asked, they are not that strong of a wheel. I have worked in the past at a official GM aftermarket up-fitter. We used Rockstar Wheels for a short period of time, we stopped using them after ~10% of the wheel would show up visibly dinged or with the plastic add on bits broken. Granted that’s mostly errors by the people handling them in the shipping process. But if you want a wheel that’s tough on the trail I wouldn’t trust one that can’t survive shipping. Rockstars are mostly meant for people who prefer to look like they off-road without actually off-roading their vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echo7tango

To answer the question you actually asked, they are not that strong of a wheel. I have worked in the past at a official GM aftermarket up-fitter. We used Rockstar Wheels for a short period of time, we stopped using them after ~10% of the wheel would show up visibly dinged or with the plastic add on bits broken. Granted that's mostly errors by the people handling them in the shipping process. But if you want a wheel that's tough on the trail I wouldn't trust one that can't survive shipping. Rockstars are mostly meant for people who prefer to look like they off-road without actually off-roading their vehicles.

Really appreciate that. I see them all over near me, but on pavement and streets. I do like the stars on them, but you're right, if they can't handle shipping then I don't want them.

So then what are good, strong wheels? Here are my needs — may help for any recommendations.

1) This is my daily driver: commuter when I don't take the train.
2) It is the long-distance road trip vehicle, long highway runs at interstate speeds. I have plans for driving from San Francisco up to Alaska on the Alaska Highway; and possibly through Mexico and into Central America.
3) I hit the trails occasionally. Less than 5% of my miles will be trail miles. 95% street miles. But when I hit the trails I do hit them. On my long road trips and overlanding I'll be off-road and in remote country. I go far and wide, exploring.

I need strong, capable wheels that will not break down on me when I'm in remote country.

Suggestions?

And thanks again, yota man.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Man I hate to be one of "those guys" but I really hate the look of those wheels. You only see them on vehicles that will never go off road... unless you include mudding in the newly developed lot behind the high school. To go off your original question, they are looks wheels, not function.

yota man

I’m not sure that I can really help with a suggestion for your truck. My 1991 Suburban is the first truck I’ve had aftermarket wheels on and I just went simple Cragar steel wheels

Spinner

I went with Ultra 195B's in 17x8 from CWO with 245/75/17 Goodyear Duratracs. Very satisfied.
If I were to do it again, I'd buy a set of black Rubicon Take-offs with the BFG Mud Terrains.
You can grab a set of 5 off ebay or Facebook marketplace all day long for 800 or so.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Factory take-offs are usually a pretty durable option, so if you find a stock Jeep wheel you like in a suitable size, that's a good option.

echo7tango

Okay, then factory takeoffs might be the way to go.

And to clarify, with the diesel Grand Cherokee (WK2), 17s I think will not fit because the brakes are bigger on the diesel. Probably for towing capacity. I'm still trying to confirm this, but I think 18s are the smallest wheels I can use, without swapping brakes.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
My friend! Don't do it to your otherwise stellar looking WK2!

Get some Trailhawk or JK Rubicon take-offs. OEM with a twist, looks infinitely better IMHO than Rockstars.

Girlfriend always used to say she wanted Rockstars when we get another Wrangler... I squashed that dream real quick.

echo7tango

Check out ATX Wheels, they are made off road. I am looking at the AX820.

Thanks. They look a good wheel but I don’t see a style that I like. http://www.atxwheels.com/wheels.cfm?id=5870. Maybe ATX’s AX201 will work, they look nice: https://goo.gl/W3nohk.

My friend! Don't do it to your otherwise stellar looking WK2!

Get some Trailhawk or JK Rubicon take-offs. OEM with a twist, looks infinitely better IMHO than Rockstars.

Girlfriend always used to say she wanted Rockstars when we get another Wrangler... I squashed that dream real quick.

I found some on eBay, but none in black. I’m now looking at Black Rhino and I like their York wheels.

York, Black Rhino: https://goo.gl/6f9KJ1. In black, they’d look great on my white JGC.

echo7tango

I got the Black Rhinos, and BFG KO2s in 255/70-18s. Thanks for your opinions, they helped.

Attachments

• 2E1D3C34-332F-4D65-8300-559BD1B75D6B.jpeg
    2E1D3C34-332F-4D65-8300-559BD1B75D6B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 58
  • 24AB51C0-8898-4106-B6A5-000E5BE70A92.jpeg
    24AB51C0-8898-4106-B6A5-000E5BE70A92.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member