1995 SR Cassette/Radio double din

mtnblue

Observer
So I have the (I guess) double din cassette/radio w equalizer. I assume there is an amp somewhere.... is this an Infinity unit? If not, any idea what it is? My 95 is in really good condition, and the radio sounds ok, but I was wondering if there were a way to make it a little sound better utilizing the stock radio and amp. I am 62 yrs old, so my pavement pounding stereo aspirations are long gone. I just want it to sound really good at low to mid volumes. I am assuming since the speakers are over 22 years old, that maybe they may need a "tune up". Any recommendations for specific speakers which would work well with the stock head and amp with it's odd impedence? Or any other ideas?

On a side note, I was considering replacing the head unit with a 2 DIN mp3 stereo, but decided against it as the location of the stereo is pretty much worthless while you are driving (down near the base of the shifter), so I was actually considering getting an ipad mount that mounts to the floor and the flexible arm would get the screen up where I can use it and then pipe the music from my ipad directly into the aux in on the front of the stock stereo. Would there be any issues with this? It would save me the hassle and extra expense of a new head unit and I could utilize the stock head and amp.

Comments? Suggestions?

mtnblue

Observer
Yeah, I read that (thanks!) but it doesn't really answer my question as it talks about options other than keeping the factory stereo. I thought my question represented a different direction than that discussion. I think I read on one of the threads that possibly you were going to discuss this, but the original post was last August.

mtnblue

Observer
Allow me the latitude to think outside the box.... rather than dealing with a possibly of replacing all my speakers or to be saddled with also replacing head unit and amp, what's to say about finding some sort of portable bluetooth mp3 system where I can run audio out from my tablet/computer into some sort of wireless to speaker set up? I am no automotive audiofile, but I assume that having speakers in the doors by your feet isn't an ideal location. With the opportunity of having wireless boxed speakers, they could literally be mounted anywhere, like on the headliner at the rear door facing forward and maybe have some boxes at the feet of the driver and passenger facing upward. Is there any system like this currently out there? It sure would simplify the wiring of everything and allow me to keep the old stuff where it is and play with the new. Auto audiofiles please respond and fill me in.

plh

Explorer
My take on it is that all the capacitors in the factory head unit are beyond their life at 23 years old and so many heat / cool cycles. Speakers are also probably dry as biscuits, perhaps even disintegrated. I put a Kenwood head unit in my '93 and Alpine speakers. I think the head unit was $90 (no CD) and speakers another roughly $150. Has bluetooth integration as well. Buy the Metra harness adapter and its a really easy upgrade.

mtnblue

Observer
My take on it is that all the capacitors in the factory head unit are beyond their life at 23 years old and so many heat / cool cycles. Speakers are also probably dry as biscuits, perhaps even disintegrated. I put a Kenwood head unit in my '93 and Alpine speakers. I think the head unit was $90 (no CD) and speakers another roughly $150. Has bluetooth integration as well. Buy the Metra harness adapter and its a really easy upgrade.
Did you replace all the speakers? And how does it sound? Does it need an amp if I am not trying to break the glass in the cars surrounding me?

mtnblue

Observer
Did you replace all the speakers? And how does it sound? Does it need an amp if I am not trying to break the glass in the cars surrounding me? Your signature says you have the ARB bumper on your '93... where did you get it or was it modified from something else? Any photos?

double post, sorry...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles