Trailer build instructions and parts

cr500taco

Adventurer
I want to build a teardrop style box for my 5x8 utility trailer. Similar to one of the trail top ideas. Can someone point me to an "how to" website to show me what I need and how?

Also, where to get doors and windows?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Also, where to get doors and windows?

Your profile just says "United States" so this may not be helpful, but if you're anywhere close enough to the "Detroit of the RV Industry" (Elkhart, Indiana) to make a trip there, there are a number of excellent RV surplus outlets that sell pretty much everything you need to build a camper at surplus prices, windows, doors, cargo hatches, etc. I'm in upstate NY and make trips to/through Elkhart regularly on business or on the way to the trails in the Southwest and I always stop in at one or more of the outlets.

Bontragers is one of the best, the photo gallery on their site will give you only a small idea of their inventory: http://bontragers.com/rv-supplies-accessories/, there's a photo of some doors there but no photos of the hundreds of windows they have.

Some of them (including Bontragers) have eBay stores, but they only list a small fraction of their inventory there.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Your profile just says "United States" so this may not be helpful, but if you're anywhere close enough to the "Detroit of the RV Industry" (Elkhart, Indiana) to make a trip there, there are a number of excellent RV surplus outlets that sell pretty much everything you need to build a camper at surplus prices, windows, doors, cargo hatches, etc. I'm in upstate NY and make trips to/through Elkhart regularly on business or on the way to the trails in the Southwest and I always stop in at one or more of the outlets.

Bontragers is one of the best, the photo gallery on their site will give you only a small idea of their inventory: http://bontragers.com/rv-supplies-accessories/, there's a photo of some doors there but no photos of the hundreds of windows they have.

Some of them (including Bontragers) have eBay stores, but they only list a small fraction of their inventory there.

Sorry, thougtht I put my location in my profile. I am in the Los Angeles area.

DanCooper

Adventurer
The TNTT forums are great. So are the suggestions by jscherb (who should quit teasing us all and just put Trailtop components into production).

When I started thinking about building a trailer a few years ago, I started by going through the two links at the top of this forum's page: Favorite Pics and Collection of Trailer Builds. From first skimming through the threads, and then reading the threads that looked interesting, I started saving ideas using Evernote. And I started collecting links from inside the threads themselves for the sources of parts. This of course took months, but the winters are long, cold, and dark where I live, and doing this basic research kept me out of bars and away from people with loose morals. It is partly a process of refining and distilling the concept down to what you want.

The "How-To" is found in the threads themselves, as well as the sources for parts and materials. For instance, the Trailtop thread is invaluable for info on fiberglass, the art, the science, and the tools. As you read through the threads, you will find tremendous info on the materials you will be using. For instance, if you are using wood, you will find detailed info on getting it waterproof and watertight. If you are going to skin with aluminum or FRP, find builds that use those materials and find the tip, tricks, and techniques. Insulated structural panels are used not only in the trailers forum, but also in the Other Expedition Camper Forum. Electrical information on both wiring and powering your electrical systems are found in all of the Expedition Camper Forums and in the power Systems:12v, Solar, Gen forum which is a sub-forum of the Expedition Support Equipment and Adventure Activities forum.

Personally, I think three of the best builds that approximate what you are considering are the MUTTT build, the Crow's Wing build, and the R.O.A.M. build by Titanpat57. You have have to get the link from his signature in any of the posts he has made. All three of those builds are epic, as is stomperxj's original Sawtooth XL build.

There are no real concrete answers. After I read and read and read some more, I decided to buy the plans for the Sawtooth XL. That worked out for me as I made some changes here and there, but I save myself the time of planning out each little detail. Jess Neal (stomperxj) had done that for me. Plus, when I was stumped, I could email him. It worked for me, but since you already have a platform (5x8 utility trailer), you will be looking at something considerably larger.

Best of luck, and please report back what you decide, and then start a build thread!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
... So are the suggestions by jscherb (who should quit teasing us all and just put Trailtop components into production)...

Sorry, I didn't design and post about the TrailTop components just to tease... the problem is I just design this stuff, I don't sell anything and being in business to sell things would take all the fun out of designing them. If a company is interested in bringing the TrailTop components to market, I'm happy to explore it with them. I've kept all the molds so more parts can be made if there's ever a reason to and I've kept the mold masters so if a company does sign up for them they can make their own production molds from the original masters.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Sorry, I didn't design and post about the TrailTop components just to tease... the problem is I just design this stuff, I don't sell anything and being in business to sell things would take all the fun out of designing them. If a company is interested in bringing the TrailTop components to market, I'm happy to explore it with them. I've kept all the molds so more parts can be made if there's ever a reason to and I've kept the mold masters so if a company does sign up for them they can make their own production molds from the original masters.

I know, I was just jabbing' at ya. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I remember reading through your entire thread, hardly able to wait to get to the end to find out where I could buy the parts. Alas, I came to the place in the thread where you said you just designed, but didn't produce. And I understand why you don't. I talked about it a bit with Scott Chaney from Compact Camping Concepts when I went there to pick up my axle and other parts. The capital investment would be significant unless it was added to an already extant production line as additional items.

It's a great design though!

Best regards,

Dan

BTW, for the OP, Compact Camping Concepts is a great source for all kinds of bits and parts for your trailer build. I bought many things from them and received excellent service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94