1st gen Tacoma shocks length question

cr500taco

Adventurer
I just swapped out the leafs of my '97 4WD Tacoma with 2.5" lift leafs that I ordered from Deaver. I have Bilstein 10" 5125 shocks currently, that I installed when I installed 1.5" AALs a few years ago. I left the overload leafs in to keep as close as possible to the stock rake for hauling and towing. So, I actually got a 2.25" lift in the rear. When I ordered the shocks, I told the person who I ordered them from what the lift was going to be, he said for what I was doing to get the 5125 10" shock. Now, that I have the new leafs, I was doing some measuring for bumpstops and my shocks only have about 5" of collapsible length, from ride height with 100+ lbs in the bed, which they will loose a little more when the leafs settle and hauling more weight and/or towing. It seems like to me that the 5125 are too long and I should have been sold the regular 5100s that are good for 0"-3" lift?

bkg

Explorer
Hard to tell. Best way to measure is a bit of work, so shortcuts can get you close. Having said that, your statement of having been “sold” the wrong shocks is a tough one, especially if you bought the shocks from a different vendor than Deaver.

You said you are measuring for bumpstops. Are you dropping the bumpstops?

In a perfect world, you order shocks based on your fully compressed measurements after all suspension changes are complete... but it’s not a perfect world

chowwwww

Observer
Im sitting about 2.5 to 3" of lift right now with my current setup. Running 9" 5125. I want 10" ones if your interested in trading. My shocks have about 6months 6k miles I would guess. Got them in summer of 2017. I'm located in Orange county so not too far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles