Gen 2.5 mileage too high?

ssatellite

I'm on the hunt and have narrowed it down to a gen 2.5 for large family adventure duties. I've found what looks like a nice clean 98 with winter package. But, it has 220k mi. $2200. Is that too high to be worth it? Can't decide if I should talk myself into it or out of it.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
+2 on the maintenance but don’t fear the rust. There is a lot of metal on the Montero. It hasn’t stopped me from fixing mine. I’m just very familiar with painting any thing or area I work on. Brackets that melted away a long time ago on previous old cars I had are still going strong on the Montero.

ssatellite

Thanks guys. No maintenance history other than timing belt, tensioner, pullies, HG, plugs and wires, and thermostat about a year ago.
No rust, and seems to run well and looks good, but I'm not sure...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. No maintenance history other than timing belt, tensioner, pullies, HG, plugs and wires, and thermostat about a year ago.
No rust, and seems to run well and looks good, but I'm not sure...

Any smoke out the tailpipe? If not I would jump on it.

evomaki

Observer
ssatellite,

Looks like you might be new to the Monty world. Read around on this board. I would not rule out a vehicle with that milage but price must be right. I hear that the transmissions are good. I bought a very average maintained vehicle (no records) with 163 thousand and did a compression test before timing belt and valve stem seal replacement. Lowest cylinder was 175psi. You will likely need to do a timing belt and seals yourself. If the rings are bad it is not worth it to do that necessary engine work, or even to purchase, unless you have re-build skills and the price is right. Less than what you were saying. Engine rebuilds are never economically a good deal, unless you can do it yourself, or it is a vehicle with which you have a relationship. Your baby set up right in every other way. If you get smoke when you romp on it under load your rings are starting to go. I'd pass on that one. I was impressed with the quality of the bottom end (block casting and rings). They appear to hold up well. Only beef is the valve stem seals, funky coolant routing, and massive intake plenum that blocks the crap out of everything. Not deal killers.

ssatellite

Thanks all. Unfortunately, I had to pass because it was 700 mi away. It's on Portland OR Craigslist if anyone else wants a look (I can't seem to post links).

The irony is that it lived it's whole life in my city and only moved away a year. Haha. I'll keep looking.

PacS14

Adventurer
I don't know where you live, but if I had to do it again and couldn't find something local, I would definitely look into California or other states that don't have a rust problem. The plus for Cali is the weather being easy on the interior compared to other areas. Maintenance is easy if you can follow directions (literally), since the FSM is available for free at some places and there are plenty of videos and write ups. You'll end up having to buy or rent a lot of tools which is not a bad deal and if you plan to go off-road or overlanding it is a good thing to be familiar with the mechanical aspect of your vehicle regardless of what vehicle it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles