Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone know of any campers out there for a U1300L?

Hi

We had a nice chat with Alaskan campers whose flat bottomed design would fit in with what our plans were apart from maybe fitting a shower. But was still something we were keen on, and we could put quite a lot of storage continuously separately underneath the camper.

Or http://www.unimogs.co.uk/our-stock/s...er-body-rb0128

Atkinson Vos Camper box.JPG
    Last edited by grizzlyj; 02-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Bill Caid put an older Alaskan pop-up on the back of a U1300L. It was awesome.

ChooseAdventure.net
    "My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
    2003 Chevrolet Astrolander 4WD Van - DIY GTRV PopTop, 4" Lift

Hi LeeWhay,
    We are going with a habitat box from Total Composites. I guess, it depends on how much time you want to put into the box, but we decided that Total Composites was the best way for us to get exactly what we wanted in a layout. Andreas Schwall from Total Composites is super nice and helpful. If you want a finished box without doing any work on it yourself, this might not be the way to go for you, but our box was a reasonable price and lets us get exactly what we want. Our box is on itís way now and should be here in the next month. The whole ordering process went very smoothly and fast.

I laid out our box for our U1300L 4 point sub-frame with mounting hard-points in the floor to mount to the sub-frame. I designed our box specifically for our planned trips and it is all custom panels, but itís probably similar to what you are looking for. We will have a pass-through, permanent bed, shower, enclosed toilet, kitchen, and seating area. All the things that we wanted in a 11í5″ long, 7í2.5″ wide, 6í11″ tall box. Our windows, hatches, and doors will all be from Tern Overland.

One thing to think about is that U1300L are a bit power limited and like being light weight. In my opinion, a lot of the boxes out there that end up on U1300L look awesome but are a bit too heavy for the truck to perform well. I think lighter is better for these trucks.

You can check out more on our blog if you like:
    https://wabisabioverland.com/

Michael

mog-side-view-small.jpg

print.jpg

total-composites-expedition-habitat-ready-to-ship.jpg
    My photography page
    1987 Unimog Expedition Truck (Our Unimog blog)
    2013 Upgraded Wrangler
    1996 M1078 LMTV (sold) (Our old LMTV blog)
    2009 Upgraded Wrangler+RTT (sold) (Photos)
    1943 G503 Restored (sold) (Our Willeys Restored)

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTheWorld View Post
    Hi LeeWhay,
    We are going with a habitat box from Total Composites. I guess, it depends on how much time you want to put into the box, but we decided that Total Composites was the best way for us to get exactly what we wanted in a layout. Andreas Schwall from Total Composites is super nice and helpful. If you want a finished box without doing any work on it yourself, this might not be the way to go for you, but our box was a reasonable price and lets us get exactly what we want. Our box is on it’s way now and should be here in the next month. The whole ordering process went very smoothly and fast.

I laid out our box for our U1300L 4 point sub-frame with mounting hard-points in the floor to mount to the sub-frame. I designed our box specifically for our planned trips and it is all custom panels, but it’s probably similar to what you are looking for. We will have a pass-through, permanent bed, shower, enclosed toilet, kitchen, and seating area. All the things that we wanted in a 11’5″ long, 7’2.5″ wide, 6’11″ tall box. Our windows, hatches, and doors will all be from Tern Overland.

One thing to think about is that U1300L are a bit power limited and like being light weight. In my opinion, a lot of the boxes out there that end up on U1300L look awesome but are a bit too heavy for the truck to perform well. I think lighter is better for these trucks.

You can check out more on our blog if you like:
    https://wabisabioverland.com/

Michael

mog-side-view-small.jpg

print.jpg

total-composites-expedition-habitat-ready-to-ship.jpg
    Very nice build...

Hi, LeeWhay, There is a fellow that has been trying to sell a home-built camper on the Reno Craigslist that might adapt to your rig. The camper is clad in aluminum diamond plate, insulated and the interior is beautiful. It's made to fit in a pickup but with some added side boxes,might fit your Mog well. You would prolly have to fabricate a sub frame for three point connection. I will check for the add and if I find it, email you the link. We are still in Baja but will be back in Reno mid April and could help you with your project then. We sure enjoyed camping with you guys on Christmas Day, at AV. Sorry the current plan didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyj View Post
    Hi

We had a nice chat with Alaskan campers whose flat bottomed design would fit in with what our plans were apart from maybe fitting a shower. But was still something we were keen on, and we could put quite a lot of storage continuously separately underneath the camper.

Or http://www.unimogs.co.uk/our-stock/s...er-body-rb0128
    grisslyj,

We have considered that as well. Still trying to sort out all of our options. Thank you.

Michael,

Andreas had told me that your panels were shipping. I'm excited to see how your build goes.

Thank you for sharing.

-LeeWhay

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Hi, LeeWhay, There is a fellow that has been trying to sell a home-built camper on the Reno Craigslist that might adapt to your rig. The camper is clad in aluminum diamond plate, insulated and the interior is beautiful. It's made to fit in a pickup but with some added side boxes,might fit your Mog well. You would prolly have to fabricate a sub frame for three point connection. I will check for the add and if I find it, email you the link. We are still in Baja but will be back in Reno mid April and could help you with your project then. We sure enjoyed camping with you guys on Christmas Day, at AV. Sorry the current plan didn't work out.
    Thank you. I will search Craigslist and see what I can find. Hopefully our paths cross again. We enjoyed spending time with you as well...
    Enjoy the warmth down there, it's in the single digits in MT the last few days.
    -LeeWhay

Default Have you considered an S-280 Shelter?

We've got an S-280 military shelter that we plan to convert to a camper. Might be a cheap way for you to get something sorted, if you're willing to do the build out (and repair random issues that come with government liquidation stuff). Or you could go the refurbished route: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbished...item235de8a454

P.S. We met at Rob's place in La Junta when we were there checking out our 1017. I (Zach) was there with my wife Robin. Sorry to hear things aren't working out as planned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12