Southeastern New Mexico Overland - January 2018

wngrog

Adventurer
The next morning we left at first light in every direction.

I caught an amazing sunrise somewhere on the east side on New Mexico

IMG_5737-X2.jpg

About 10 miles from the Texas border I got pulled over. I drive about 65-70,000 miles a year and rarely speed but for some reason I thought I was in Texas where the backroads are 70-75 mph.

IMG_5740-X2.jpg

Luckily he liked what he saw and let me off with a warning.

I hit the Texas border at 10 am Central time and pulled into my carport 12 hours after that. It was a LONG day but I made it home safe and sound. 2600 miles total for the round trip.

Perfect trip. I highly recommend it and so does He....or it.......

IMG_5616-X2.jpg

Sanders

What a great write up! I have traveled almost all those roads. The maiden voyage, so to speak, for my roof top tent was at Bear Trap campground below Mt. Withington, where my wife and I were the only occupants. That night we got rain, sleet, and snow - quite a way to break it in. I only saw the fire watch tower through the foggy haze.

I had a drill rig up at that antenna site, along with a 10,000 lb trailer mounted air compressor and a 2WD F550. We drilled the anchor holes for the guy wires on that newest looking tower.

The Spaceport is actually owned by the taxpayers of New Mexico. Richard Branson promised he would base out of it, but it has yet to see anything launched - quite the boondoggle on the taxpayers. At least my company made some of our tax dollars back on it during construction.

White Sands is neat - you can walk barefoot in the sand when it is 100 degrees out. The sand doesn't get hot, and if you wiggle your feet a few inches down into it, it is actually cool.

Too bad you all didn't have the time to hit Carlsbad Caverns - you weren't very far from them. There is good camping near there, too.

I really enjoyed your pictures, since I always carry a camera, but forget to take any.

wngrog

Adventurer
Sanders, wow. You have been there, done that. Beautiful state you live in for sure.

Thanks for the correction on Space Port. Shows what I know.

Carlsbad. Been there. It’s superb.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Wngrog.. great trip, I live in Colorado, and own a small house in Elephant Butte, I'm there now. very fun state to explore, I would encourage explorers to check out all the fun to be had here. The EB area is a diamond in the rough, back roads to the VLA , Gila mountain range, so much to explore. And very few people, mostly balding gray hairs like myself.
Your trip is great advertising for the southern part of NM.

Mickey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles