Warn VR12 or ZEON 12?

I decided to get a warn winch for my 1999 Burb. But I don't know which one to get?

Money is kinda tight but is the ZEON really worth the extra $$$?

The VR12 I can get for $700+ while the ZEON is around $400+ more?

Is it really worth it or will the plain winch get the job done?

(BTW I plan on using the winch it the burb gets stuck, also maybe help others)

Explorerinil

Observer
Save your money unless you use it often. My buddy runs the harbor freight badlands flair, he is happy but doesn’t use it often.

CampStewart

Observer
You always find that your winch has failed when you need it the most. If your winch fails than what is your plan B in that situation? If you don't use it all the time than weather proofing is all the more important.

TheSkiingJeep

Third option.

Superwinch EXP

reviews of the integrated version are looking great, and it outdoes the warn zeon at a cheaper price. I'd encourage you to check out those reviews, as I haven't reviewed a non-integrated yet(soon) so I can't officially endorse it yet but it looks promising.

So getting a warm isn't really worth it unless I plan on using it a lot? (Which I probably won't)

I plan on putting whatever I get into a ARB deluxe bumper.

For weather proofing what so I do?

I'm really new to winches so I don't have a lot to go off of

Explorerinil

Observer
So getting a warm isn't really worth it unless I plan on using it a lot? (Which I probably won't)

I plan on putting whatever I get into a ARB deluxe bumper.

For weather proofing what so I do?

I'm really new to winches so I don't have a lot to go off of

I really like warn winches, I have a 16.5 it with custom splice and factor 55 parts... if you want a great whinch get a warn, if you want to save a buck if you don't use it often, look into something else. In the past I ran a mile marker hydraulic and had great luck with that. My friend runs a harbor freight whinch and rarely uses it, but it works. Your choice, I guess it depend on money, use and if you want to transfer it from truck to truck. Warn will simply last, others I wouldn't transfer from truck to truck, I would just leave it on when you get rid of the truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Since I fall into the rarely used category I wanted one I felt comfort would be work. Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey and probably Smittybilt now have been around and have a known track record that is generally good. What I'm looking for is consistency not necessarily perfection. Warn doesn't make winches that *can't* fail, that's impossible, but their history is good and weak points are known or corrected.

Stuff like the Badlands tend to be they are great if they work but you usually have to use them a few times to know it's not going to fail. You can't know that on reputation alone since one person might in fact get a good one while there's plenty of people who get duds.

So, IOW, I do periodic maintenance (which is one major point with Warn to me, excellent customer service and parts availability) and think that since a whole lot of people have Warns and particularly XD9000s like mine with favorable history, that it's likely to work as expected even if I don't use or test it for a few months.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The Zeon will be a better heavy duty use winch, for occasional use you'll be fine with the VR series. You can get a VR12,000S for less than $800, a Zeon 12S will be $1200+.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
I have the VR12000 on my Jeep and it's a great winch. It is the old M series winch with a cheaper solenoid pack, literally the only difference between the two. And it's not that the solenoids are crap by any means, they just aren't made for as heavy duty cycle as the M12000 winch. I know I will never over work this winch on my Wrangler and had originally purchased it for my 94 Blazer 6.5 Diesel and would have no worries about using it to recover that heavy truck. My opinion is it's a great buy for the money.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I have the VR12000 on my Jeep and it's a great winch. It is the old M series winch with a cheaper solenoid pack, literally the only difference between the two. And it's not that the solenoids are crap by any means, they just aren't made for as heavy duty cycle as the M12000 winch. I know I will never over work this winch on my Wrangler and had originally purchased it for my 94 Blazer 6.5 Diesel and would have no worries about using it to recover that heavy truck. My opinion is it's a great buy for the money.

I seam to recall reading a post where Andy the Warn rep indicated that the VR series is totally different than the M series and that the VR series includes "international parts" and weighs significantly less. Regardless, I have an M12000 mounted in an ARB bumper on my Nissan Titan and it is a beast of a winch. I also have a Warn XD9000 on my 2005 LJUR and can't imagine fitting my M12000 on any TJ bumper as the M12000 is massive!

Cheers

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Watch for the Warn Rebates. They can be substantial ($150 -$300).

A winch is something that should last a lifetime with reasonable care. So think about how long you'll have that size of vehicle, and divide the cost over years of ownership.
I've recently had the opportunity to use two different Warn winches that were built back in the '70s.
They still work great. So don't pass up a good deal on a used winch, as long as you can run it before purchase.

Also look into a quality rigging kit with a line damper. This is extremely helpful on the trail.
Here is an example:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-29460?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-warn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9CSvJr72AIV3brACh0k-gpXEAQYASABEgLKCvD_BwE

Line damper-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-91575?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-warn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZmw2Zr72AIVV7bACh2wBAHWEAQYASABEgK0k_D_BwE

Something that will speed up the winching process when helping someone else, and keep your winch happier is an idle up throttle circuit. Either electronic, or just a hand throttle cable setup. Running the engine at about 1,500-1,800 rpm will increase available amperage, and the working voltage will be higher.

hope this helps,

Watch for the Warn Rebates. They can be substantial ($150 -$300).

A winch is something that should last a lifetime with reasonable care. So think about how long you'll have that size of vehicle, and divide the cost over years of ownership.
I've recently had the opportunity to use two different Warn winches that were built back in the '70s.
They still work great. So don't pass up a good deal on a used winch, as long as you can run it before purchase.

Also look into a quality rigging kit with a line damper. This is extremely helpful on the trail.
Here is an example:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-29460?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-warn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9CSvJr72AIV3brACh0k-gpXEAQYASABEgLKCvD_BwE

Line damper-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-91575?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-warn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZmw2Zr72AIVV7bACh2wBAHWEAQYASABEgK0k_D_BwE

Something that will speed up the winching process when helping someone else, and keep your winch happier is an idle up throttle circuit. Either electronic, or just a hand throttle cable setup. Running the engine at about 1,500-1,800 rpm will increase available amperage, and the working voltage will be higher.

hope this helps,

Thanks for the info!

Where would I watch for rebates? WARN's website?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info!

Where would I watch for rebates? WARN's website?

Yes, They are also a sponsor of this sub forum. At the top of this page you can post a question or send them a PM. Pretty sure they have a Facebook page, and probably instagram, etc.. Also keep an eye out for retailers websites where they have a sale going.

Happy Hunting! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles