Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing one of the MB trucks

Not knowing anything about the two truck but having owned a diesel truck that was NA and one that is turbo'd I would take the turbo all day.
    1997 Dodge Ram CTD, 5 Speed manual, BD exhaust brake, 5x12 injectors, 4k Gov. springs, Thuren coils, Fox shocks, Stable loads, 99HD steering, Carli end links, Method Race Wheels, 295/70/18 Cooper STTMaxx tires.

2011 Northstar Adventurer

Jon,

I don't know where you will be sourcing the truck from. But if you are buying it in Germany, I would highly recommend getting the Chassis prepared by one of the outfitters over there. For example: bigger tanks, single wheels, subframe....Those parts are much easier to source over there. I have a very good contact for you. Just let me know if you are interested.
    http://totalcomposites.com/ your supplier for European designed fiberglass sandwich panels and accessories.
    https://www.facebook.com/totalcompos...homepage_panel

Quote Originally Posted by Jonturgeon View Post
    Thanks guys, the last few days have been a bit of a learning process and I think I may have narrowed the field down to 2 different models. So given the choice between a 1019 AF and an 1120 AF would there be a preference?

The 1120 has an inline turbo 6 and the 1019 a NA v6. They both seem to come with lockers. Both seem to be in good condition. The 1120 is the newer model and a bit more expensive.
    The 1019 should come with the larger older cab... but the earlier V6's always sounded like a bucket of nails when running (this changed with I believe a different crank and a few other mods).. The later 1120 has the smaller newer cab, and a straight 6 turbo. If you are staying State side I'd suggest the 1120, but if you are Africa bound or any of the third world countries I'd look to the older truck. Exciting times!
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitec View Post
    The 1019 should come with the larger older cab... but the earlier V6's always sounded like a bucket of nails when running (this changed with I believe a different crank and a few other mods).. The later 1120 has the smaller newer cab, and a straight 6 turbo. If you are staying State side I'd suggest the 1120, but if you are Africa bound or any of the third world countries I'd look to the older truck. Exciting times!
    We plan to put a lot of miles on this truck and Africa would be in the cards. So, just for my learning why would you shy away from the 1120 with the I6? I really don't know but I sort of thought it was an OM366 which is a newer (newer being relative, both of these trucks over 25 years old) version of the engine in in the xx17 series? I have never owned a truck like this but I also sort of thought the turbo might be a bit better at higher elevations? Still trying to soak up all I can.

Is there a way to tell if one of these trucks have the fast axles? When I look up the VIN there looks to be a serial number for the axle. Is it possible to look it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonturgeon View Post
    We plan to put a lot of miles on this truck and Africa would be in the cards. So, just for my learning why would you shy away from the 1120 with the I6? I really don't know but I sort of thought it was an OM366 which is a newer (newer being relative, both of these trucks over 25 years old) version of the engine in in the xx17 series? I have never owned a truck like this but I also sort of thought the turbo might be a bit better at higher elevations? Still trying to soak up all I can.
    I've not been back to Africa for over 10 yrs now, and the newer trucks are prob now there, as is the turbo 6, but when I was working over there we seldom saw the later trucks. The SK's, MK's and NG's were everywhere, including quite a few of the older bull nose trucks. Either way, you'll always find parts for both, and you might well be right on the newer I6 being the same/similar to the 1617's etc. I'd buy which ever unit you prefer (or which budget allows) and go from there. Following with interest.
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

for a wealth of information and a point of contact for parts and importing a vehicle, Hans Mross of Mross Imports is worth being in touch with. https://unimogcanada.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12