12v fridge or 3-way fridge?

CruzLiife

I have sportsmobile van that I am totally redoing. I have solar and a house battery as well as 110 hook up and I plan on carrying propane for a shower and small burner. My question is do I go ARB 12v fridge or a 3-way fridge? I don’t know much about them. I have a few questions?
-How long will a 4cuft fridge last on 5gal of propane.
- how much will it drain my Deep Cycle house battery. If i were to run just off that. I have 200w solar panels. FYI.
- do you need any sort of exterior venting to run a 3-way fridge. And is it complicated to install?

- which should I go for. The model I’m looking at is the Dometic RM2310.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I think the time of the absorption fridge has pretty much come and gone. Modern 12V fridges and modern battery systems are hard to beat these days. I have an absorption fridge in the Fuso and have learned the care and feeding of it pretty well - but if it broke I would replace it with a 12V compressor.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Definitely go with an electric only fridge. Absorption fridges are only efficient on propane; they will murder your solar/battery setup in electric mode, it's really only practical if you're plugged into shore power.

Plus they're just a lot more complicated, more to go wrong, not supposed to be run way off-level such as in 4 wheeling.

Joe917

Explorer
A lot of negative stuff here about 3 way.
I have a 3 way in the camper that is 23 years old. It has never had issues running off level. It is very efficient on propane, 10 gal lasts over a month in summer. Electrical consumption on propane is negligible.
That being said it is getting pulled and replaced with a Nova Kool compressor fridge. The new fridges with the Danfoss compressors are very good and we have a excess solar to supply it.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The biggest problem I find with 3-way fridges is that they don't work worth a darn in the heat. When I had my Lance, if I headed to CO from south Louisiana in the summer I'd have to wait until I got to north New Mexico before buying groceries or keep them in a cooler. Without the AC on it would only keep the fridge in the 50s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne