Sam's Club Pelican Look Alikes

TurboChris

Adventurer
For those using a case with the pelican style "Pick n Pluck" foam......check out the uTube videos where people use the Plasti-Dip spray to strengthen them. I did a couple and it really does make it better....Not as good as say.....custom closed cell foam but for the price and effort involved....it's a win.

jgaz

Adventurer
Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight versions?

Yes, I just helped my son set up a medium size Harbor Freight case for his Go Pro equipment. The case seems well made, especially, for the price point. Pick and pluck foam also worked fine.
I’m sure it’s not up to Pelican case standards but it’s a vast improvement over storing the gear in the OEM packaging.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I just bought a medium size HF box a couple weeks ago. On sale or with a coupon, it's a decent value for non-critical stuff. I wouldn't use it for mega-bucks camera gear on a rafting trip, but it's great for tools and incidentals in the back of the truck.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Have several of the H/F cases in different sizes... not up to Pelican cases but fine for knock-about/off cases...
Used one (large H/F) to consolidate some of the miscellaneous camping gear, and a smaller (middle sized) one to carry the jumper cable, snatch strap and shackles in the Jeep.
Have to do some measuring; maybe repackage the first aid kit (to make it more water resistant) in a small one...
Still using ammo cans for; beer, critter resistant food, tools & heavy stuff...

Last edited:

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
I'd like a larger case like that Sam's club model but they don't seem to be available anymore. I picked up a couple of the HF cases... the medium and large model. I set up the medium for a sat' phone:
https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-Watertight-Protective-Case-13-34-In-63926.html
Seems pretty durable - not reinforced nylon like some really strong cases but even most of Pelican has switched over to reinforced poly ethylenes. The HF case pluck foam works well and it has a good gasket on it. The release valve seems a bit cheap but for $30 (less when on sale or using a super coupon) it's a good buy. I'm re-packing everything in preparation for a 2 week trip this summer that may involve a few of these or the larger ones.

I'm also using Home Depot's Rigid line of tool boxes that connect to one another for storage, etc. They are pretty strong (you can stand on them - I'm 250lbs) - they also have a pretty good gasket in them. The smaller ones lock onto the wheeled box.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Black-222573/205441921

DailyExpedition

I'd like a larger case like that Sam's club model but they don't seem to be available anymore. I picked up a couple of the HF cases... the medium and large model. I set up the medium for a sat' phone:
https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-Watertight-Protective-Case-13-34-In-63926.html
Seems pretty durable - not reinforced nylon like some really strong cases but even most of Pelican has switched over to reinforced poly ethylenes. The HF case pluck foam works well and it has a good gasket on it. The release valve seems a bit cheap but for $30 (less when on sale or using a super coupon) it's a good buy. I'm re-packing everything in preparation for a 2 week trip this summer that may involve a few of these or the larger ones.

I'm also using Home Depot's Rigid line of tool boxes that connect to one another for storage, etc. They are pretty strong (you can stand on them - I'm 250lbs) - they also have a pretty good gasket in them. The smaller ones lock onto the wheeled box.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Black-222573/205441921

I actually have the rigid boxes that I use for work and in September I’ll be using them on our camping trip to carry equipment. They are really good cases, but after about a year or use the handles/latches that hold one box to another have lost a little bit of their locking capability, but nothing that wouldn’t be expected from a years worth of moderate use. Otherwise they are great and they’re waterproof, and if I remember correctly they carry a lifetime guarantee like the other rigid tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
The Harbor Freight versions are good to go, very much like the pelican cases, strong hinges, strong handles. Only the largest of their three sizes has locking holes large enough for standard padlocks. And they are very inexpensive and often on sale. The largest ($30 on sale, $40 reg) is a great size for handguns, camera equipment, etc. The weather / water rating is one peg below Pelicans, iirc. And the 'pick'n'pluck' is as good as any.

pistolcase02.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
The Harbor Freight versions are good to go,...

I got one of each size when they first come out and liked them so much I got a 2nd of the med and large, that are currently empty but I know I'll find the perfect thing eventually.

I'm bummed I can't get one of the larger Sam's boxes, I really want one for my drone. But the drone support gear found a nice home in a HF large case:

BLYviax6C4jHIdZ3Ywx99dqEsTpJSn22NylgxHy2mkKJ9E7TnjpdnMa3BnOCjM0lrbjkmezbsG_Z5KY7DipKU0AM7mVL1MOmDrq2z8UWLzBvRzn6muEKW8LKPDO6Jq-ytBDc32UMLTiDOvhLtb_AyBythkD6f6oer4FN1KDNmBT4S-EjHGotD3vP7V1r320lKEhJsS7gCSHMdZuPwjl-JH0TQELgTCg9l-ZwTIUoqYaWsu25Gv6EPg3XGJl6_B7InFO-qJs810_3auO50E6gzx9Bqe1wMjZiVUf8mAmcQodrGpIOssJ1pDtPoYbEIr9CdmZT4GzYE9GvFFN34DIucpgoxs_vX36pQHuiB86z07T37vK6BAvPbAIh0Pf6yrvXuSu9oRUwL_o53C-d3PSl459XFIEkAXQctjVWZ9_6hCLpL99lqg7Buaf6we8y6os0hrCo_W8UtY3KXFxIRDYGsfX3k9GH-NmM3lUVUbVHXaJNs2WMkYtfaUu1U1isfVFsErCBoLF-ilJ3ceGY-_CrM5UggkK_V8fqchC9xY36gIbvlEHb7g_CuKFd8SDGPtNy7aYOmKxI1ZXtJOHkTi2e0z9ON2knR3YTOaVbdKo=w1203-h677-no

rayra

Expedition Leader
one cube all around, that's a perfect fit, like it was custom made.
I'm thinking about getting another of their large for my DSLR. I think they are deep enough, have to check that. My first DSLR, bought last Black Friday, I got a close fitting clamshell case for it so I would carry it around in the vehicle more often, use it more often. But I want to have the telephoto and othe rgear with me too... I bought two of the small as well, I might just put the extra lens in one, it's easier to hide those small cases out of view (but near to hand) in my Suburban.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Their 20% and sometimes 25% coupons are all over the place in magazines and handed out in the store, they work for the cases. The 20% makes it only $2 over the periodic sale price.

They've had their plastic '30cal' ammo cans on sale for 2.99. They work pretty good and have a weather seal. I can fit a 1000rds of 9mm loose in one, a LOT of weight, without any trouble with the plastic container. Has a good clamp / camming latch and steel wire bail seems plenty strong. They'd be a good weather-resistant small toolbox for Jeepers, or for organizing smaller stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles