Reliable Matches?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
All I can find in the way of wooden, strike anywhere matches aka "barn burners" or "kitchen matches" is Diamond brand.

Diamond brand and some others used to be reliable. They struck easily, ignited and burned. Over time it seems Diamond has greatly reduced the amount of pyrotechnic material on the match and now they are about worthless. Hard to strike and often fail to burn.

I have "lifeboat" matches in the emergency kits but $1 each is too much for everyday use.

Are there any good matches available on the over-lawyered USA market?

TwinStick

Explorer
Even Zippo lighter fluid has been changed. I got a Zippo cause matches around us sucked as well. Found out that the fluid is gone in 2 days, 3 at the most. So your Zippo will not even last a holiday weekend of camping, you gotta bring the fluid with you. The simplest way to make those "dangerous-hazardous" matches safer, is to dip the tip in wax or varnish.

You can get 100 Coghlan's lifeboat matches for $16, which is about .06 1/4 cents each.

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Even Zippo lighter fluid has been changed. I got a Zippo cause matches around us sucked as well. Found out that the fluid is gone in 2 days, 3 at the most. So your Zippo will not even last a holiday weekend of camping, you gotta bring the fluid with you. The simplest way to make those "dangerous-hazardous" matches safer, is to dip the tip in wax or varnish.

You can get 100 Coghlan's lifeboat matches for $16, which is about .06 1/4 cents each.

I noticed the same thing about Zippo lighter fluid. The lighter dries out in a couple of days even if not used.

Did not know Coghlans made lifeboat matches. Thanks.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
... gave up on matches, Zippos, etc. decades ago a single BIC lighter will produce more lights... (even at altitude, when winter camping).
... think I still have some antique strike any where matches (in a Nalgene bottle) along with the Zippos/Ronsens in the Old Timey stuff/junk box though...(the UCCO candle lantern with match box and matches resides on the neat stuff/museum shelf, near the trench lighter and ocarina).

Enjoy!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
... gave up on matches, Zippos, etc. decades ago a single BIC lighter will produce more lights... (even at altitude, when winter camping).
... think I still have some antique strike any where matches (in a Nalgene bottle) along with the Zippos/Ronsens in the Old Timey stuff/junk box though...(the UCCO candle lantern with match box and matches resides on the neat stuff/museum shelf, near the trench lighter and ocarina).

Enjoy!

That would be the rational approach.

I'm one of the hard-heads that never saw a hill that wasn't worth dying on and still consider a campfire started with one match a point of pride (unless I'm real cold or real hungry).

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For decades we had a tradition of starting the first fire with one (often paper) match ... then all the old timers died off; the youngsters now are not impressed (their idea of fire starting is to use boy scout fluid)... and they often have problems even then...

Enjoy!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
For decades we had a tradition of starting the first fire with one (often paper) match ... then all the old timers died off; the youngsters now are not impressed (their idea of fire starting is to use boy scout fluid)... and they often have problems even then...

Enjoy!

"Boy Scout fluid" A term I am familiar with but had not heard in a while. Why cheat when with belly growling, cold hands, in the dark you can spend an hour finding dry tinder and twigs and laying a proper fire?

JDHFJ40

I, too. have switched from matches in my backpacking and in my camping gear and strictly use mini Bic. I keep a fire steel as a backup because I still want a back up plan but I have not needed it yet. I have some lighters that are several years old. They last a really long time.

robert

Expedition Leader
What, you don't have a $50 Snow Peak Gigatorch? Just kidding, kinda, since I'm sure there are folks on here who do own one.

I still have several boxes of the old Diamond strike anywhere matches that I use; I carry some in waterproof match cases scattered amongst my gear. I'm of the "one match, one fire" Boy Scout days as well and I'll practice it at times but most of my fire these days comes from a Bic lighter. I keep them stuck in my various packs and bags, in my truck, etc. You do have to check them periodically as the flints will break down though.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
My biggest failure cause with BIC lighters is corrosion between the flint and striker wheel sometimes preventing the flint from contacting the striker (easily solved by regular use).
I normally carry a couple of full sized spares in the kitchen gear and along with one in the pocket and one in the pack (...I agree; check them at least at the beginning of each camping season, or even trip)...A fire steel is attached to the fixed blade sheath as tertiary backup. A couple of trioxane tabs ride in the canteen carrier, under the canteen, as emergency, all weather "tinder".

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier