Finally part of the crowd

rossiter78

Observer
I have been a member here for a few years. You know, doing normal stuff like drooling over the rigs that you guys have built. Well, today I will become one of you...sort of. Today I take possession of a retired ambulance - 2009 build on a Chevy C4500; 6.6 L Duramax Diesel with Allison transmission.
I don't think I'll have the cash to lift it and put oversize tires on it; at least not yet, but I will be ready to have some adventures!

I have been having a lot of fun with my Toyota Tundra - I added a camper shell and ladder rack that I decked in. This gave me a lot of flexibility - sleep under the stars, easy camp setup, all while keeping my raft or mountain bikes with me. It was fun sitting on the top deck at music festivals and waiving at the people passing by. But... it was too cold to camp in the winter and and I even did one big no no - I got a hotel because I didn't want to set up camp in the rain with my girlfriend.

No more of that!!!

I think my ambulance will let me get some rest without even getting out of the truck, be warm while on a camping ski trip, and enable all sorts of adventures.

Thank you all for your inspiration!

--Trent

rossiter78

Observer
I will get some pics up soon. It should arrive at my house in 30 minutes !!!
I should probably give it a little cleaning before showing it off too :)

rossiter78

Observer
I think it must be an Osage Ambulance - at least that is the sticker I see on the side.

It is not a 4x4 - I wish it was though (obviously).

Let's see if these pics work. These aren't great - it was dark when it arrived, but I still make it a point to have a glass of champagne in it right away!

IMG_3251.jpg
IMG_3238.jpg

rossiter78

Observer
Who knew that stickers would be such a pain the in butt?! The medic stickers on the rear windows were a piece of cake. But the ones on painted surfaces are a huge pain. I haven't even finished the first "AMBULANCE" removal and have chipped or cut the paint like 10 times.

rossiter78

Observer
Hair dryer, goo-gone, plastic putty knife...torch ?

I'm using a 1800 W heat gun, and paint scraper (metal). I think the heat will melt a plastic one. High heat seems to be working the best as it seems to loosen the adhesive. It's a SLOW process though.

Cleanup is done with Goo Off.

A razor also worked, but the slightest mistake as more damaging so I stopped using it.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
You can try a plastic razor blade to avoid damage:

61lJfC1byGL._SX425_.jpg

You need to change it frequently so make sure you have plenty of blades.

But honestly, the Whizzy Wheel is much better. I also doubted it and tried to avoid buying one... But it really works.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Done! I love Amazon. Random stuff (like a whizzy wheel) guaranteed to be delivered by Friday!

Cool! You just saved yourself hours of low value work!

Just a quick tip: Once you start using it, try to play with pressure and drill speed.

If I'm not mistaken, "half" pressure and about "half" speed worked really well. Watch out for corners though, I was a little too aggressive and a few specks of gel-coat flew off. Not a big deal for me but now that you know you can be more careful than I was.

But I'm pretty sure you'll be happy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94